Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

2 hours ago, ender4 said:

I think if we look like finishing 10-12th then Dean Smith will get sacked.

Im pretty certain that the owners are looking for European qualification this season, so 7th as a minimum.

That means improving by 7 (?) points from last season.

Assuming that Jack might have stayed if we had European football, and Dean said we are 18 months behind where we could have maybe kept him, my detective work surmises that this year we'd like an improvement (obvs), but next year is the target for hitting Europe.

• Like 1

People are forgetting that Ollie, scored a chunk of his goals, with little to no support.

With all the supply outlets available to him now, he should score even more. So I wouldn't base our estimates just on his stats last season.

Ings, scored loads, in a poor Southampton team.

There are variables of scale to judge Gow much we've actually improved, with ALL the combined cogs in the wheel.

• Like 2

Just now, rubberman said:

Assuming that Jack might have stayed if we had European football, and Dean said we are 18 months behind where we could have maybe kept him, my detective work surmises that this year we'd like an improvement (obvs), but next year is the target for hitting Europe.

Yeah possibly.    

The qualifying for Europe might have been with Grealish staying and now they think a smaller increase to say 8th might be acceptable.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

People are forgetting that Ollie, scored a chunk of his goals, with little to no support.

With all the supply outlets available to him now, he should score even more. So I wouldn't base our estimates just on his stats last season.

Ings, scored loads, in a poor Southampton team.

There are variables of scale to judge Gow much we've actually improved, with ALL the combined cogs in the wheel.

Yep. On paper we are a vastly improved team. Now it’s just down to Dean and the players to see to it that the stats on paper show up on the pitch

2 minutes ago, Aston_Villan4 said:

Yep. On paper we are a vastly improved team. Now it’s just down to Dean and the players to see to it that the stats on paper show up on the pitch

And if Dean doesn’t… VillaLad will be all over him.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, rubberman said:

If next year is the target for qualifying that would mean we wouldn't actually play in Europe for another 2 years, so I think it's still the aim to get there this year.

14 minutes ago, rubberman said:

Jack wants Champions league, not any old European Football.

5 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

It'll be disappointing if we don't strengthen in the middle of the park - perhaps it's a vote of confidence in Sanson, but I think the squad is fine for numbers but light on quality right now. With Dean backing up the suggestion from Purslow that we're done in this window, I think we're looking at a finish somewhere between 8th and 15th. I think if we flirt too long in the bottom half the manager might regret not getting another couple in.

Ah well, what we've got is decent, we've spent money on replacing the strength we had in Grealish and I think we've done that quite well, but we've not spent on strengthening in the areas where we weren't as strong - so I think what we've got is a different way to get 11th.

The middle of the park is the elephant in the room which has been ignored for way too long.

As most People are waiting for Luiz to morph into Pirlo and Nakamba to morph into Kante.

( I like them both, but I'd rather not risk relying on them having improved significantly alone )

• Like 3

1 hour ago, KangarooVillan said:

I haven’t seen anything to suggest the owners expect Europe this season.

I think the owners want Europe as soon as possible, but nothing to indicate that if we finish 9th or 10th Smith is in trouble.

Especially considering the changes and preparation this off-season.

How many years do you think they would be happy to wait?

3 minutes ago, Sam-AVFC said:

If next year is the target for qualifying that would mean we wouldn't actually play in Europe for another 2 years, so I think it's still the aim to get there this year.

Fair point - maybe that's why he said 18 months. Anyway - we'll never really know. 

I still expect we'll see another couple of bodies in - with the ambition of our owners, they won't want to miss the chance of getting ahead of plan by sitting on £100m with a negative net spend.

I don't think Smith's comments exactly suggest we're done this window and I definitely don't think Purslow's did. The latter was talking purely in terms of replacing Grealish, backed up by the fact that Tuanzebe was signed afterwards. Smith just said he was happy with the squad currently and essentially just didn't outright state "yeah we desperately need a midfielder in" as it wouldn't exactly be wise for him to do so publicly.

Edited by Indigo
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

How many years do you think they would be happy to wait?

You make it sound as if they've had to wait ten years already. Just consider where we were two years ago. A little perspective please. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, rubberman said:

I still expect we'll see another couple of bodies in - with the ambition of our owners, they won't want to miss the chance of getting ahead of plan by sitting on £100m with a negative net spend.

Agreed: the owners will want to push on. I'm sure there is a 'warchest' (I've missed seeing that word reported), even if they don't want to publicise it any more than it already is.

There's another factor in this, though: our owners are ambitious but they won't spend for the sake of it or get fleeced by arseholes. Supposedly, Nassef was directly involved in the negotiations over Grealish. When someone like that walks into the (Zoom) room, people just stfu. Bottom line: they're up for the challenge, but they won't be dicked about. If the numbers being discussed regarding JWP, for example, get out of hand, we'll walk. Simple as. 

I love the feeling that the club is being run by grown ups...who just so happen to have finances that could make any moderately-developed nation blush. 

6 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

The middle of the park is the elephant in the room which has been ignored for way too long.

As most People are waiting for Luiz to morph into Pirlo and Nakamba to morph into Kante.

( I like them both, but I'd rather not risk relying on them having improved significantly alone )

And McGinn into a top 8 PL player too...