Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

13 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

It'll be disappointing if we don't strengthen in the middle of the park - perhaps it's a vote of confidence in Sanson, but I think the squad is fine for numbers but light on quality right now. With Dean backing up the suggestion from Purslow that we're done in this window, I think we're looking at a finish somewhere between 8th and 15th. I think if we flirt too long in the bottom half the manager might regret not getting another couple in.

Ah well, what we've got is decent, we've spent money on replacing the strength we had in Grealish and I think we've done that quite well, but we've not spent on strengthening in the areas where we weren't as strong - so I think what we've got is a different way to get 11th.

Yep, it's a 5/10 transfer window for me atm. 
We haven't gone forwards (because of Grealish) and we haven't gone backwards. We've done enough to stand still, perhaps finish 1 or 2 places higher but what's the difference in finishing 11th-->9th? Bugger all really. 

Either the board and management team know what we have isn't enough and we'll bring in two more players. Or..
They think what we have is enough to challenge for Europe. 

If it's the latter, they're in for a rude awakening. It's VERY difficult to progress when you have a negative net spend. 

17 minutes ago, Phil Silvers said:

He says Ashley Youngs numbers in training are very good, if Ollie doesn't start tomorrow I think we might surprise them and play him in an advance role with Emi2.

I think we might see him either way. I don't think Bailey will start.

1 minute ago, Delphinho123 said:

Yep, it's a 5/10 transfer window for me atm. 
We haven't gone forwards (because of Grealish) and we haven't gone backwards. We've done enough to stand still, perhaps finish 1 or 2 places higher but what's the difference in finishing 11th-->9th? Bugger all really. 

Either the board and management team know what we have isn't enough and we'll bring in two more players. Or..
They think what we have is enough to challenge for Europe. 

If it's the latter, they're in for a rude awakening. It's VERY difficult to progress when you have a negative net spend. 

Depends what that amount is, really.  People concentrate on net spend too much.

3 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Depends what that amount is, really.  People concentrate on net spend too much.

And it's not difficult to have a negative spend when you've brought in 100 million from selling one player. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, a m ole said:

It could be that we only want to buy demonstratively better players than we have now, so if they’re available we’ll get them but if not it will be no one.

Which makes sense and contrary to popular belief our midfielders are not bad players. It’s not that easy to just go out and sign better than what we have. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

It's not that simple mate. Let's keep in mind Grealish went for the British record, and we've added three additional players to the squad. Should we just purchase more bodies to fill up the numbers? I think it would be very unwise at this point, and would perhaps further hinder the development of the promising youth too. Should more first team players leave, it's a different issue of course. 

10 minutes ago, vreitti said:

How I see the new campaign:

I've been a fan of this wonderful football club for roughly 30 years, and never during that time have I ever been this excited for the coming season.

I firmly believe we have genuine quality on every position for the first time in what feels like an eternity. UTV! 

It's the excitement that worries me.  I think we'll  be decent, should be too 10, but Europe feels too far

5 minutes ago, one_ian_taylor said:

It's the excitement that worries me.  I think we'll  be decent, should be too 10, but Europe feels too far

Honestly I don't personally care that much for Europe. What excites me most is the togetherness, the quality of the football we're (hopefully) gonna play and the prospect of our outstanding youth players breaking through. 

E. Don't confuse excitement with expectation!

Edited by vreitti

14 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

We've done enough to stand still, perhaps finish 1 or 2 places higher but what's the difference in finishing 11th-->9th? Bugger all really. 

There is a small financial benefit, I believe it is about 3m extra for each finishing position in the PL. 

8 minutes ago, vreitti said:

It's not that simple mate. Let's keep in mind Grealish went for the British record, and we've added three additional players to the squad. Should we just purchase more bodies to fill up the numbers? I think it would be very unwise at this point, and would perhaps further hinder the development of the promising youth too. Should more first team players leave, it's a different issue of course. 

It's a fair point and my viewpoint is very crude. Of course you can have a negative net spend and improve if one player goes for 100m. I'm just saying, the general rule of thumb is, you need to spend to improve. 

And as things stand, I think we need two more bodies and the youngsters need to go out on loan. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

There is a small financial benefit, I believe it is about 3m extra for each finishing position in the PL. 

There is also massive risk that comes with not improving and that is the likes of Martinez, Konsa etc. leaving to chase success and trophies.

We need to improve quickly if we don't want the 'bigger' clubs sniffing around.

2 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

There is also massive risk that comes with not improving and that is the likes of Martinez, Konsa etc. leaving to chase success and trophies.

Good point, but if we are not improving then I think we will be looking for a new Head Coach

9 minutes ago, vreitti said:

The more I look at the squad the more I think it’s too crowded to bring in more bodies. Outside of maybe a 60+ million player in midfield who is a true game changer. I agree with you, unless bodies are moved I have a hard time seeing more signings.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Whatever we do, they will probably want to leave in 2-3 years to CL clubs.

We need to establish ourselves as a top 10 club and buy the good players for teams below us. Its a dog eat dog word.