Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

5 minutes ago, KangarooVillan said:

Agree to disagree. I feel where you’re coming from, I just probably have more faith in Wes and Davis. If we could get a winger who can play ST that would be good for if all else fails.

I personally don’t think we’ll sign a ST, but let’s see what happens come end of August.

I’ll be shocked if we don’t sign a striker. Oko covers it well and outside our creative weakness is our a key area that needs filling this summer.

2 minutes ago, Steero113 said:

God I hate twitter but I must admit, reading Arsenal fans comments on that Percy article tweet about us giving them competition for Buendia is pure, filtered, liquid... gold.

I'd be pissed if I were them as well to be fair. lol

There was a time when it wouldn't even be a conversation about what he would choose.

A feeling almost as shite as  a player choosing Fulham over us last minute.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, DevonIsAPlaceOnEarth said:

Worth bearing in mind a lot of clubs (Arsenal, Spurs etc) don’t like doing their business early. If a player is on £100k the difference between signing him in June and August could be in excess of £1.2mil in wages.

Badly run clubs usually, Liverpool, City and Chelsea are regularly quick for business

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Makes where we've found ourselves now with Targett all the sweeter.

Can You Smell The Rock GIF by WWE - Find & Share on GIPHY

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

42 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I'd be pissed if I were them as well to be fair. lol

There was a time when it wouldn't even be a conversation about what he would choose.

I often wonder how Joe Bryan feels now. The idiot.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, KangarooVillan said:

Are you suggesting the club don’t have an idea of how Wesley will perform despite monitoring him on the track most days and giving him some exposure late in the season?

Davis can’t do a bit part role if required?

I am suggesting none of us fans will know how he will perform and until he is throwing in 90 minutes on the pitch, the club probably won't either. He is returning from a nasty and near career ending injury.

I think we need to be looking to upgrade on Davis in all fairness.

• Like 1

So we only want players that have played in England, one is Buendia and the other is a winger (supposedly)

If we end up with;

Watkins

Grealish - Buendia - Zaha

..we will have a top 4 attack.

21 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

I am suggesting none of us fans will know how he will perform and until he is throwing in 90 minutes on the pitch, the club probably won't either. He is returning from a nasty and near career ending injury.

I think we need to be looking to upgrade on Davis in all fairness.

Yeah Wes needs to go somewhere where he can play 30 odd games, try get in the double figures for goals before returning for us as I'm not sure being a bit-part player will help him recover.  Davis I just don't think knows how to get in the right positions to score goals, he just doesn't seem to have that instinct.  We would have been a bit screwed if Watkins hadn't been able to play every game imo.  He is naturally incredibly fit but even so there's a chance he gets a bad impact injury that puts him out for a while so we need some sort of back up, preferably the kind of player Brentford pick up but before they pick him up.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KangarooVillan said:

Sure, no worries - let’s go spend another £15 million of our transfer budget this season on a speculative young ST who is no guarantee to be any better than Wesley or Davis so that if Watkins gets injured we have a backup.

Nailed it.

Ah yes, let’s not sign a player because they might not be better than what we already have.

Or...bizarrely enough they might be. If only the club has some sort of way of judging players, watching them in games etc. before making a move to sign them.

Every signing is a risk in some way or another. Even Harry Kane with his glass ankles.

My point is that I’d be surprised if we couldn’t find a striker that is more suited to deputising for Watkins than any of Traore, Wesley or Davis.

Obviously no point doing it if we don’t shift someone first, which I think we will.

• Like 2

Just now, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

If Wolves are selling off their talent to fund a rebuild we should just go in big on Pedro Neto. £50m they’ll accept. He’s going to the top that kid

I would be all over that for the price. I suspect he will have many options.

2 hours ago, DevonIsAPlaceOnEarth said:

Worth bearing in mind a lot of clubs (Arsenal, Spurs etc) don’t like doing their business early. If a player is on £100k the difference between signing him in June and August could be in excess of £1.2mil in wages.

We do our business early.

I'm convinced Sanson was a summer '21 target who we got in really, really early - for a price we liked. He has 6 months to settle and get up to speed.
The Spurs approach, of wheeling and dealing, might look good, but it doesn't allow time to settle into the team and can effectively waste the first years wages, and contract depreciation.

21 minutes ago, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

If Wolves are selling off their talent to fund a rebuild we should just go in big on Pedro Neto. £50m they’ll accept. He’s going to the top that kid

He's done his ACL. So won't be fit until Christmas. 

Edited by MotoMkali

2 hours ago, KangarooVillan said:

Why is there such a big thing about players returning from an ACL?

I am genuinely curious - in AFL players do them all the time, they spend 12-18 months out then generally come back fine. In a small percentage of cases they may do them again. Is football different?

Wesley did multiple ligaments maybe all of them so it us far worse. 

But mainly it stems from how in the olden days it killed a career. 

Edited by MotoMkali

57 minutes ago, Pez1974 said:

I'm convinced Sanson was a summer '21 target who we got in really, really early - for a price we liked. He has 6 months to settle and get up to speed.

Well, it was specifically confirmed by Purslow and Smith that he was a summer target that we got in 6 months early because his price was right.

So you are right to be convinced 😬

• Haha 3