Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

9 hours ago, useless said:

I think there's a good chance that Wesley will go out on loan, I think people react negatively to that idea because in recent years the senior players we've loaned out are players that we no longer want or are players that we want to sell, Veretout, Amavi, Kalinić, Samatta, Gollini and so on... But with Wesley doesn't have to be like that, can go somewhere to get back up to speed, get plenty of game time and then come back to us.

I think that would be a really good idea if we didn't have Davis in the squad in pretty much similar position. I think Davis will go out and Wes will just take up his role as last 20 minute sub next season (alongside another back up striker/wide player) and perhaps look at things in January if Davis goes out for 6 months and does well.

41 minutes ago, hippo said:

This is time, historically when villa bottle it. MON looked to have built a good solid squad - we just needed more firepower ....enter Emile Heskey !!!

Gregory wanted to push on with Juninho , Muzzy Izzet, Robbie Keane - Ellis put on the brakes on the spending.

NSWE - haven't let us down yet......

Yep it's come to that stage when it would be just lazy and pretty silly to sign 6-7 players of middling quality just to bulk up the squad a bit more as we've tended to do in the past when in these positions. Just inflates the wage bill and dosen't really improve our first 11 enough which simply has to be the aim now.

I do take heart from DS knowing we need more in final third so think we'll focus on that for first part of the summer (although may have to wait a bit if we're going after a couple playing in euros or perhaps even Copa America) and then last few weeks probably get in a defender or two.

IMO:

Milenkovic-Savic (40m)

Neres (Ajax)- 20m

Vinicius Jr (season long loan as he may be out of favour at Real Madrid if they sign a couple of attackers)

and keep everyone and we'd be 6th next season and indeed have outside shot at top 4 so that's the type of ambition I'd love to see from us. Even two top level players who aren't playing for CL sides would be huge if we could get them in just to lift that mentality a little bit more. Might not even have to spend 100m to do it if we box clever as two of those above have just two years left on their deals as it stands.

Edited by VillaChris

22 minutes ago, romavillan said:

You are of course, taking the absolute **** piss

I dunno, if Madrid sign Mbappe or whoever he'll probably lose out given their fans still criticise him for his end product infront of goal. Asensio is also fit again so presume in long run he'll be a regular again in their line up.

It's a bit like Odegaard who in last two seasons has been loaned out to Real Sociedad and Arsenal and I rate him just as much of a talent as Vincius. We shouldn't be miles behind those sort of teams now so don't see why we can't enquire although perhaps he's too established in their first team.

Rodrygo and Kubo certainly aren't so perhaps those two are more realistic.

Btw, Arsenal signed Henry from Juventus not Ligue 1. Wenger was responsible for converting him to a striker from a winger and also for transforming and vastly improving several other players.

I wonder about Neres… wasn’t he one of the standouts during Ajax’s impressive CL run?

Wonder why no one has bought him? Mind you, it did take a while for Ziyech to leave (and he hasn’t pulled up any trees at Chelsea)…

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, MentalM said:

Really like the names! I believe Milenkovic-Savic would be double that price thou :( 

He's only got two years on his deal and Lazio didn't make CL so I dunno they may cash in on him if they get offer in 40m range. They sold Felipe Anderson for 42m in 2018 to West Ham who had similar importance in their team and they'd want to hang on to Immobile at all costs given he gets 25-30 goals a season.

Don't think it's a bad strategy post Covid to have a list of all players in europe at CL and europa clubs in attacking/midfield position who have two years left on their deal and testing the water with a few bids as some clubs will be desperate to sell.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, MentalM said:

Really like the names! I believe Milenkovic-Savic would be double that price thou :( 

Maybe he’d be more attainable and for not such a huge fee with everything that’s gone on the last year or so..

Would be a dream signing but I would imagine, if available, he would be in high demand by most of the top clubs. But he hasn’t looked close to leaving Lazio yet…

Would be a Yaya Toure-esque signing for us and transform that MF.

Highly unlikely…

Just now, Jas10 said:

I wonder about Neres… wasn’t he one of the standouts during Ajax’s impressive CL run?

Wonder why no one has bought him? Mind you, it did take a while for Ziyech to leave (and he hasn’t pulled up any trees at Chelsea)…

Atletico Madrid were rumoured but think he got a bad injury in 19/20.

Not a great scoring return this season in dutch league but he still started for them in the europa ties v Lille and Roma.

Think with the emergence of this Antony guy upfront for them and Tadic still around they'd feel it's the right time to cash in on him (also signed Haller in Jan of course) and he fits the profile of being wide forward in front 3 who can also fill in at CF when required.

We sign SMS and Neres and we are fighting for top 6 next season imo, it's that simple so up to the club to try to get those type of players in if it's financially possible.

Just now, VillaChris said:

Atletico Madrid were rumoured but think he got a bad injury in 19/20.

Not a great scoring return this season in dutch league but he still started for them in the europa ties v Lille and Roma.

Think with the emergence of this Antony guy upfront for them and Tadic still around they'd feel it's the right time to cash in on him (also signed Haller in Jan of course) and he fits the profile of being wide forward in front 3 who can also fill in at CF when required.

We sign SMS and Neres and we are fighting for top 6 next season imo, it's that simple so up to the club to try to get those type of players in if it's financially possible.

How good is he? Stats don’t seem that impressive.

Savic alone would elevate us massively but I just can’t see it happening or us even trying for him.

2 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

Maybe he’d be more attainable and for not such a huge fee with everything that’s gone on the last year or so..

Would be a dream signing but I would imagine, if available, he would be in high demand by most of the top clubs. But he hasn’t looked close to leaving Lazio yet…

Would be a Yaya Toure-esque signing for us and transform that MF.

Highly unlikely…

PSG wanted him two years back apparently:

https://www.fourfourtwo.com/us/news/milinkovic-savic-agent-suggests-psg-offered-midfielder-eu8m-year

Linked once again to Juventus this summer and that probably makes sense given the mess Juve have with their midfielders presently:

https://www.juvefc.com/milinkovic-savic-is-a-target-to-revamp-juventus-midfield-but-can-they-afford-him/

If those clubs still seriously want him we obviously have no chance......but he's still at Lazio and might fancy a spell in the prem.

Felipe Anderson was linked to Man. United when Van Gaal was there but Lazio wanted too much and eventually moved to West Ham. I know he flopped for them but at the time it was seen as a major coup given he was getting caps for Brazil around that time.

Can also remember Watford signing Roberto Pererya 12 months after he came on for Juventus in CL final so it can be done and eventually if we're to be as good as we all want us to be we will have to start signing this calibre of player. This season might be a year too soon though.

3 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

How good is he? Stats don’t seem that impressive.

Savic alone would elevate us massively but I just can’t see it happening or us even trying for him.

Stand out season was 18/19 like the rest of them that year. Scored v Juve and Real Madrid in knock out rounds and played for Brazil in that summer's copa america.

Get the feeling Ten Hag will probably take him to whatever Bundesliga club he eventually ends up at so I'd be targeting him this summer as feels with experience he's already got he'd be a good signing for a side trying to get into europa which we should be in next two seasons.

2 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

PSG wanted him two years back apparently:

https://www.fourfourtwo.com/us/news/milinkovic-savic-agent-suggests-psg-offered-midfielder-eu8m-year

Linked once again to Juventus this summer and that probably makes sense given the mess Juve have with their midfielders presently:

https://www.juvefc.com/milinkovic-savic-is-a-target-to-revamp-juventus-midfield-but-can-they-afford-him/

If those clubs still seriously want him we obviously have no chance......but he's still at Lazio and might fancy a spell in the prem.

Felipe Anderson was linked to Man. United when Van Gaal was there but Lazio wanted too much and eventually moved to West Ham. I know he flopped for them but at the time it was seen as a major coup given he was getting caps for Brazil around that time.

Can also remember Watford signing Roberto Pererya 12 months after he came on for Juventus in CL final so it can be done and eventually if we're to be as good as we all want us to be we will have to start signing this calibre of player. This season might be a year too soon though.

I agree, we should try to make ambitious moves for exceptional players (in keeping with reality and resources) but it’s hard to sign established ones and doesn’t fit our strategy (though we could definitely make the odd exception).

Yeah I can see SMS going to Juve or similar and staying in Italy.

How about De Paul?

1 hour ago, Okonokos said:

Did you just compare Henry and Traore?

Players can be converted to play a role. You mentioned Richarlison as second striker at Everton. Just checked season numbers. Richarlison same amount of goals as Traore playing +500 more minutes. Richarlison 32 shots on target compared to Traore 23. Traore is more clinical goal converter than Richarlison. 

• Like 1

Just now, Kiwivillan said:

Players can be converted to play a role. You mentioned Richarlison as second striker at Everton. Just checked season numbers. Richarlison same amount of goals as Traore playing +500 more minutes. Richarlison 32 shots on target compared to Traore 23. Traore is more clinical goal converter than Richarlison. 

There is much more to playing as a striker than just goals. Traores goals generally come from wide positions.

What is it about him that makes you so sure he'd be a striker? Because Dean Smith clearly doesn't agree.

2 hours ago, VillaChris said:

I dunno, if Madrid sign Mbappe or whoever he'll probably lose out given their fans still criticise him for his end product infront of goal. Asensio is also fit again so presume in long run he'll be a regular again in their line up.

It's a bit like Odegaard who in last two seasons has been loaned out to Real Sociedad and Arsenal and I rate him just as much of a talent as Vincius. We shouldn't be miles behind those sort of teams now so don't see why we can't enquire although perhaps he's too established in their first team.

Rodrygo and Kubo certainly aren't so perhaps those two are more realistic.

Rodrygo is considered the much better all round player to Vinicius by many real fans and pundits. Hasn’t yet established himself but think he will surpass Vini. Would be happy with either 😁😂 be very surprised if we were able to mind you

20 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

Did his knee in.