Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

8 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

That's a unicorn. No decent one is available unless not wanted by club or get completely mugged off, outside our target age range or injury riddled. Again unrealistic

Tammy Abraham.

and

Not unrealistic.

11 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

Would you be happy if we sign likes of Vinicius at Spurs to warm bench whole season while Watkins leads the line every minute barring injury or suspension?

I'd be happy to have extra squad depth. That would certainly make me happier than having to use Traore as a backup striker 😂

Who says they have to be a bench warmer? Why not introduce a bit of rotation? Won't hurt Watkins to miss the odd game.

We could also target the type of striker who can cover two positions, like play as a wide target man. One who springs to mind is Josh Sargent at Bremen. He primarily is a central striker but can easily play out wide on either side too. He's a grafter and very good at playing a high pressing game. He's still young and with plenty of room to improve and best of all would be pretty easily obtainable. He'd really suit a team that plays a pressing game like us.

There is so much variation in the game today. Signing another striker doesn't mean he will just exclusively be a bench warmer and backup in case Watkins gets injured. We will not break the top 6 if we don't get extra depth.

15 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

That's not the point he's making. PL is riddled with new striker signing flops. Wesley had similar amount of goals as Benteke debut season by end of January and people wrote him off and they wrote off Benteke by January too 

But the point I was making is there is an extremely high chance that Wesley won't be able to cut it next season.

Whereas if we signed a fully fit, in form striker, who we've scouted for the past season and done all the due diligence, they would be far more likely to be a success than Wesley would be.

I really don't think we can consider Wesley as an option. The demands that will be placed on his body will be unbelievable. His injury really was career threatening.

• Like 2

I wouldn't mind signing Tammy, but we have other priorities right now. I think we'll sign another striker but it won't be a £40m striker. That money needs to be used elsewhere. Unless we do have £250m to spend (which is incredibly unlikely, almost impossible) then he should not be a priority this window. Midfield is more important. 

7 minutes ago, Okonokos said:

But the point I was making is there is an extremely high chance that Wesley won't be able to cut it next season.

Whereas if we signed a fully fit, in form striker, who we've scouted for the past season and done all the due diligence, they would be far more likely to be a success than Wesley would be.

I really don't think we can consider Wesley as an option. The demands that will be placed on his body will be unbelievable. His injury really was career threatening.

+ Was he good enough in the first place ? (Gets tin hat !)

Just now, hippo said:

+ Was he good enough in the first place ? (Gets tin hat !)

I think he struggled at first but was slowly getting there and his injury came at a really cruel time. But honestly, I'm not convinced he ever was going to be good enough, no. Certainly nowhere near Watkins' standard.

1 hour ago, sidcow said:

Just as an aside, everyone talks about Barry as potential striker cover, but he seems to play on the left in the main and Young is the guy down the middle wearing the no9 shirt for the under 18's.  He also looks like a bigger unit, if not already man sized not too far off it. 

Why doesn't he ever enter the conversation? 

I think he would score more than Davies

i don't see us spending big on a striker. i think we'll bring one in, but a youngster who will be backup to watkins or a random one on the cheap from europe

33 minutes ago, Okonokos said:

I do trust our current scouts in that regard

Another point about backup strikers I could make is by comparing us to Everton.

Their main man is Calvert-Lewin just like ours is Watkins. Both are fantastic at playing up front on their own.

But then Everton have Richarlison who is also a great player and easily capable of playing as a striker or out wide. Calvert-Lewin plays every minute and only misses games through injury, like Watkins. But that does not mean Richarlison is a bench warmer. He played 34 league games this season.

Davis and Wesley just aren't close enough to Watkins' standard, whereas Richarlison isn't far off Calvert-Lewin. This is the mould we need to use. We should be looking for an upgrade on Davis and Wesley in terms of ability but also someone who is comfortable playing in multiple positions, like Richarlison is. Watkins alone just isn't enough.

Edited by Okonokos
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Okonokos said:

Another point about backup strikers I could make is by comparing us to Everton.

Their main man is Calvert-Lewin just like ours is Watkins. Both are fantastic at playing up front on their own.

But then Everton have Richarlison who is also a great player and easily capable of playing as a striker or out wide. Calvert-Lewin plays every minute and only misses games through injury, like Watkins. But that does not mean Richarlison is a bench warmer. He played 34 league games this season.

Davis and Wesley just aren't close enough to Watkins' standard, whereas Richarlison isn't far off Calvert-Lewin. This is the mould we need to use. We should be looking for an upgrade on Davis and Wesley in terms of ability but also someone who is comfortable playing in multiple positions, like Richarlison is. Watkins alone just isn't enough.

Richarlison plays as second striker. Everton play 352 or 442. We don't. If you want to use Richarlison then I'll cite Traore career record at CF of 71 appearances 38 goals 11 assists. As Useless said that was mostly as second striker