Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

Si it appears Buendia has LONG legs, if Percy has confirmed our interest.

Fair play, but I also wanted the Uruguayan, wonder if he would be backup if we lose out on Buendia?

Remember, we seem to have a habit of getting at least 2 players from a certain country/league/team at a time, must be a part of our tapping up strategy lol.

Agent Martinez will be on duty.

BOTH Buendia and the Uruguayan ( I keep saying that as I can't be assed remembering how to spell his name correctly ) would be exploding head type stuff. 

2 hours ago, Okonokos said:

I'd guess we wouldn't be signing someone who's been injured for 18 months though.

Why is there such a big thing about players returning from an ACL?

I am genuinely curious - in AFL players do them all the time, they spend 12-18 months out then generally come back fine. In a small percentage of cases they may do them again. Is football different?

1 minute ago, KangarooVillan said:

Why is there such a big thing about players returning from an ACL?

I am genuinely curious - in AFL players do them all the time, they spend 12-18 months out then generally come back fine. In a small percentage of cases they may do them again. Is football different?

https://barcainnovationhub.com/recovery-time-of-the-anterior-cruciate-ligament-injury-in-elite-football/

Good article on the topic

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, KangarooVillan said:

Source in Keinan asking for a loan? Somewhat irrelevant anyway because if we need him we need him. We have obviously retained him in the past.

You don’t know that for sure about Wesley - none of us do except the club. If he’s okay to go then he’s more than ample backup.

Barry and Traore can fill in it above two fail for whatever reason.

There you go, suddenly look very full at up front again ☺️

It was in January. Might have been an article in the Athletic. He requested more game time with a few Championship clubs interested in a loan but it was refused. I don't like the "if we need him we need him" attitude. This is a 23 year old who needs game time and wants game time to develop himself. Who are we to deny him that? If we can only offer him 10 minute cameos every other week, why should we deny him a move?

I do know that Wesley's career was in serious danger of being ended. In fact, at one point his career was not the only concern. There were plenty of question marks over him even before the injury. It would be a minor miracle to expect him to be able to play at a Premier League standard.

Barry is far too young and Traore is not a striker. Not even close. And Smith clearly agrees with that.

1 hour ago, Okonokos said:

Another point about backup strikers I could make is by comparing us to Everton.

Their main man is Calvert-Lewin just like ours is Watkins. Both are fantastic at playing up front on their own.

But then Everton have Richarlison who is also a great player and easily capable of playing as a striker or out wide. Calvert-Lewin plays every minute and only misses games through injury, like Watkins. But that does not mean Richarlison is a bench warmer. He played 34 league games this season.

Davis and Wesley just aren't close enough to Watkins' standard, whereas Richarlison isn't far off Calvert-Lewin. This is the mould we need to use. We should be looking for an upgrade on Davis and Wesley in terms of ability but also someone who is comfortable playing in multiple positions, like Richarlison is. Watkins alone just isn't enough.

Okay okay okay.

This is a good example. Would you be happy if we signed a £30-40 million LW who could play ST?

Or even...

A CAM who can play ST and LW 😏

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Laughable Chimp said:

If you’re interested I found this article regarding AFL players: https://www.dovepress.com/anterior-cruciate-ligament-injuries-in-australian-rules-football-incid-peer-reviewed-fulltext-article-OAJSM

Incidence rate of 0.8 players per club per season, and interestingly 74-77% are able to return to the elite level. Surprising it’s slightly higher as I thought they’re would have been more twisting and turning in AFL than football.

2 minutes ago, DevonIsAPlaceOnEarth said:

Worth bearing in mind a lot of clubs (Arsenal, Spurs etc) don’t like doing their business early. If a player is on £100k the difference between signing him in June and August could be in excess of £1.2mil in wages.

But it could also being the difference between getting them, or not getting them at all.

Some clubs also like to wait until late to do their business in the hope that the selling club will panic and accept less money as the transfer deadline approachess lest they don't receive any money at all.

28 minutes ago, Okonokos said:

It was in January. Might have been an article in the Athletic. He requested more game time with a few Championship clubs interested in a loan but it was refused. I don't like the "if we need him we need him" attitude. This is a 23 year old who needs game time and wants game time to develop himself. Who are we to deny him that? If we can only offer him 10 minute cameos every other week, why should we deny him a move?

I do know that Wesley's career was in serious danger of being ended. In fact, at one point his career was not the only concern. There were plenty of question marks over him even before the injury. It would be a minor miracle to expect him to be able to play at a Premier League standard.

Barry is far too young and Traore is not a striker. Not even close. And Smith clearly agrees with that.

Agree to disagree. I feel where you’re coming from, I just probably have more faith in Wes and Davis. If we could get a winger who can play ST that would be good for if all else fails.

I personally don’t think we’ll sign a ST, but let’s see what happens come end of August.