Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

18 minutes ago, useless said:

I think there's a good chance that Wesley will go out on loan, I think people react negatively to that idea because in recent years the senior players we've loaned out are players that we no longer want or are players that we want to sell, Veretout, Amavi, Kalinić, Samatta, Gollini and so on... But with Wesley doesn't have to be like that, can go somewhere to get back up to speed, get plenty of game time and then come back to us.

I think it’s a great idea, if he’s agreeable.

Would be delighted if he returned in much better shape and an improved player for the experience.

If he got the game time, it would raise his value too.

But we would have to bring a striker in. We need to move Davis on.

I'm fairly certain we will be signig a striker, even John Percy who's usually accurate has said that we're going to be targetting a striker, I remember last summer he said that we wanted a right back and many were insisting that we wouldn't sign one and would more likely sign a left back, but he was right and we signed Cash.

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, KangarooVillan said:

Wesley, Davis and Barry/Traore (if really required) are backup.

There’s about £35 million in backup with just Wesley and Davis alone. 

If Wes isn’t up to it, this is a different conversation, but we just don’t know that yet.

£35m for Wesley and Davis? I’d be very surprised if we’d get anywhere near that if we sold them. Even if we got £20m for Wesley, Davis isn’t a £15m player.

Given Wesley’s injury I can’t see a team taking a risk like that either.

We need to find a younger version of Watkins, but I just can’t think of a player that could do anywhere near the same role that he does. I don’t think that any of Traore, Wesley or Davis have the right skillset to do it.

• Like 1

Just now, jacketspuds said:

£35m for Wesley and Davis? I’d be very surprised if we’d get anywhere near that if we sold them. Even if we got £20m for Wesley, Davis isn’t a £15m player.

Given Wesley’s injury I can’t see a team taking a risk like that either.

We need to find a younger version of Watkins, but I just can’t think of a player that could do anywhere near the same role that he does. I don’t think that any of Traore, Wesley or Davis have the right skillset to do it.

Yep. I'd be surprised if we got £ 15 million between them.

But anyone suggesting keeping Wesley and selling Davis needs their heads checked.

2 hours ago, Lord Willard said:

Just get someone that can play as a winger and a striker. Someone of Gareth Bale ilk. Plays as a winger but if called upon can play as a striker. 

2 birds with 1 stone.

Ronaldo?

14 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

Thanks for twisting my words. I'm happy with much of our squad. Nakamba has been MOTM in many of the games he's played this season. I think other areas are higher priority requiring backup than striker, specifically both fullback positions. I expect we may promote some youth players next year as extended squad players. I won't be upset if we don't splash big money on 4-5 players but it seems like some people will and I think they're being completely unrealistic. 

I've not seen many people say we're going to spend big. Most on here seem to think we'll do about the same as last year. Nobody is saying we have to spend mega money on a striker but that is not the only way to get a striker.

3 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Yep. I'd be surprised if we got £ 15 million between them.

But anyone suggesting keeping Wesley and selling Davis needs their heads checked.

Davis needs to leave for his own career. He turns 24 during next season. He's not a youngster anymore and deserves game time every week. I don't like seeing good young players waste their careers sitting on the bench and Davis doesn't strike me as the type of person to be happy doing that. I'd be happy to see Davis go for his own good. Wesley should be loaned out as it will do him no good sitting around as backup either.

18 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

We had to play El Ghazi as a striker last year. Why would we want to be in a position  where we might have to do that?

If we want top 6 we need a squad that reflects that. 

Exactly. Having Traore and El Ghazi as options for strikers will not help us crack the top 6. They're both very good at what they do but they're not strikers.

Plus, if one of them ended up playing up front, surely that then leaves us short on the wing? It's crazy how people don't get the concept of squad depth.

3 minutes ago, Okonokos said:

I've not seen many people say we're going to spend big. Most on here seem to think we'll do about the same as last year. Nobody is saying we have to spend mega money on a striker but that is not the only way to get a striker.

A decent CB from Championship going rate about 2 years ago was 20-25m see Webster. Unless we can take advantage of cash struggling clubs post Covid

10 minutes ago, useless said:

I'm fairly certain we will be signig a striker, even John Percy who's usually accurate has said that we're going to be targetting a striker, I remember last summer he said that we wanted a right back and many were insisting that we wouldn't sign one and would more likely sign a left back, but he was right and we signed Cash.

Where has Percy said this? I'd be absolutely amazed if we're not targeting a striker so I'm glad he seems to think we are.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

Even if Wes is up to being back up, we still need another as we do not know how he will perform.

We don't know how a new signing will perform, either. 

• Like 1

It was a month or so back, I doubt our plans have changed since then, he mentioned a striker and a winger, he also mentioned in the article the possibility of us looking to France to transfers to exploit the financial difficulties that clubs are facing over there, something we've already done once with Sanson.

I think it might have in the same report he did saying that we were going to offer Konsa a new contract, which of turned out to be true as well.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Okonokos said:

Where has Percy said this? I'd be absolutely amazed if we're not targeting a striker so I'm glad he seems to think we are.

Would you be happy if we sign likes of Vinicius at Spurs to warm bench whole season while Watkins leads the line every minute barring injury or suspension?

1 minute ago, Okonokos said:

I'd guess we wouldn't be signing someone who's been injured for 18 months though.

That's not the point he's making. PL is riddled with new striker signing flops. Wesley had similar amount of goals as Benteke debut season by end of January and people wrote him off and they wrote off Benteke by January too 

1 minute ago, mjmooney said:

We don't know how a new signing will perform, either. 

Very true Mr Mooney, but that would depend on who that striker would be I guess?

If it's an unknown from Europe or elsewhere then absolutely.

If they are already a proven PL striker then we would ideally hope we know what we would be getting.

I guess all players do indeed carry their own individual element of risk though to a degree.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Okonokos said:

Who would you suggest?

3 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

If they are already a proven PL striker then we would ideally hope we know what we would be getting.

That's a unicorn. No decent one is available unless not wanted by club or get completely mugged off, outside our target age range or injury riddled. Again unrealistic

Edited by Kiwivillan

13 minutes ago, Okonokos said:

Davis needs to leave for his own career. He turns 24 during next season. He's not a youngster anymore and deserves game time every week. I don't like seeing good young players waste their careers sitting on the bench and Davis doesn't strike me as the type of person to be happy doing that. I'd be happy to see Davis go for his own good. Wesley should be loaned out as it will do him no good sitting around as backup either.

He needs to go… not good enough for where we want to be, injury prone and doesn’t score goals.

He has his strengths but they would be more suited to a different team.

• Like 2