Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

7 hours ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

I'm not suprised to see you'd be against it too.

You would only have 11 players in the whole team if your posts of last summer are anything to go by.

There is a thing called squad depth, and quality and backup in every position is required - including strikers.

Wesley, Davis and Barry/Traore (if really required) are backup.

There’s about £35 million in backup with just Wesley and Davis alone. 

If Wes isn’t up to it, this is a different conversation, but we just don’t know that yet.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, KangarooVillan said:

If Wes isn’t up to it, this is a different conversation, but we just don’t know that yet.

Like I said yesterday; Davis has already asked to leave once to get first team football. He will do that again this summer and I don't think the club will stand in his way. I don't want the club to stand in his way because at his age he needs to be playing every week.

Wesley will struggle to play consistently at a top level again; his injury was that bad.

Barry is 18.

Traore is not a striker.

All of a sudden we look very light up front then.

• Like 4

I think there's a good chance that Wesley will go out on loan, I think people react negatively to that idea because in recent years the senior players we've loaned out are players that we no longer want or are players that we want to sell, Veretout, Amavi, Kalinić, Samatta, Gollini and so on... But with Wesley doesn't have to be like that, can go somewhere to get back up to speed, get plenty of game time and then come back to us.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, useless said:

I think there's a good chance that Wesley will go out on loan, I think people react negatively to that idea because in recent years the senior players we've loaned out are players that we no longer want or are players that we want to sell, Veretout, Amavi, Kalinić, Samatta, Gollini and so on... But with Wesley doesn't have to be like that, can go somewhere to get back up to speed, get plenty of game time and then come back to us.

I really think it will be best to loan him out to a physically less demanding league like in the Netherlands or Belgium to let him get his fitness and confidence back. It will do him much more good than him sitting on the bench and having 10 minute cameos. I really like Wesley but I know how hard it will be for him to be considered an option for us next season. I don't think some people realise how bad his injury was.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, the_sun_never_sets said:

Here's something i've been mulling over.

I don't think we'll be bringing in a huge number of players this summer given the performance of our youngesters this season some of them can pad the squad out. I'd target maybe 3 quality signings (c£40m each). Inside Forward, AM, DM. all first 11 Ready. 

Given this if you were to pick one player who you think is a) obtainable and b) would instantly take us to the next level...who would it be?

I'd say Pedro Neto for what its worth. 

Ideally 4 new starters and start trying to introduce some youth to the bench as a pathway.

The starters though need to be clear upgrades on what we have to push Traore and El Ghazi or good enough to move Jack wide.

(New dm) Nakamba

Sanson, Mcginn, Doug, Ramsay

Jack (New AM), Chuk

(New Wide Fw) (New Wide Fw) Traore, El Ghazi

No idea who, but I trust the recruitment and Sanson/McGinn/Doug would be good enough for next season to play in 1/2 of the middle 3 with a new DM. Liverpool's middle 3 is very workmanlike and relies on their exceptional wide forwards and full backs to provide the attacking impetus.

Wide forwards have to be our priority this summer.

20 minutes ago, KangarooVillan said:

No.

Even if Wes is up to being back up, we still need another as we do not know how he will perform.

Traore is not the answer and neither is Davis, with the latter possibly going out on loan or sold.

Barry is a year too early still.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, peterw said:

I'm not sure the 'what if Ollie breaks his leg' really stands up. As correct as it is, you could argue that for almost every position - what If Jack breaks his leg? What if Tyrone or Konsa breaks his leg? What if cash breaks his leg? Targett? Martinez? and on and on. We do not have deep cover everywhere so you look at the most important positions. We have some good youngsters coming through but cannot go into a season relying on them so which one position is the most important - It would seem the attacking midfield position is the one where we are crying out for more quality. That should be number 1 and is where the team would improve instantly. The second would probably be CDM. I like Luiz but it has to be remembered that he too is still very young and will have games where he is completely off it, so a taller number 6 option for me is the next priority. 

after that its a wish list coupled with getting strength in depth. A left-back (although Guilbert if fancied by Smith can and has played at left-back so could cover), and a wing and attack option. But not at 40m, as that would be a player expecting to start. I wouldn't start Tammy over Ollie, nor would I shift Ollie wide to accommodate him. if a top quality left sided attacking player becomes available then I'd buy him and shift jack to the middle.

Other than those two areas, the rest is filling in the blanks.

Agreed, you can’t prepare for every eventuality, particularly the most unlikely. Only the top 4 have the deepest squads that could cope with such a scenario and probably not be too heavily affected, plus there is the Jan window for emergencies (hard to get good deals though, but loans is also an option).

We desperately need that CAM, whether that’s Jack or a new player. We’ve all seen how that transformed us as a team (Barkley at start of season, linking up so well with Jack & Ollie) so I see no reason to take a different approach. It was revolutionary for us…

My main concern is where the majority of our funds is spent but I’m encouraged by Dean’s comments regarding the need for more creativity in the squad and less of a reliance on Jack.

Again, not averse to a CF signing so long as it’s at reasonable cost and not eating too heavily into our budget. Would probably prefer a WF who can cover there (Rashica?)

CAM, WF, DM, LB

Then, with whatever’s remaining, we can look at other areas or save the pennies and line up targets for Jan.

Again, I would love both Buendia & De Arrascaeta - our creative problems would be solved and we would be vastly more threatening.

Then we need some added physicality and ability to dominate the ball in midfield.

A young & exciting LB would be the best option, ready to take over from Targett in the future and compete/cover in the short term.

We’d be in excellent shape after that 👌

• Like 1

Just now, AvfcRigo82 said:

No.

Even if Wes is up to being back up, we still need another as we do not know how he will perform.

Traore is not the answer and neither is Davis, with the latter possibly going out on loan or sold.

Barry is a year too early still.

It boggles my mind that people think Traore could be a backup striker. Yes, if we had a major injury crisis he might have to play there as Option F, G or H but what about his game have people seen that makes them think he could do a job up front?

• Like 3

Just now, Okonokos said:

It boggles my mind that people think Traore could be a backup striker. Yes, if we had a major injury crisis he might have to play there as Option F, G or H but what about his game have people seen that makes them think he could do a job up front?

It's mind boggling, it really is.

Traore has never played as a lone striker, when he's played upfront in the past he's played as a second striker in a front two so don't think he'd suit our system. If we were that desperate I think we'd more likely play El Ghazi as a lone striker than Traore.

2 minutes ago, Okonokos said:

We had to play El Ghazi as a striker last year. Why would we want to be in a position  where we might have to do that?

If we want top 6 we need a squad that reflects that. 

• Like 1

It might be that the club feel it's okay to gamble on Watkins staying fit though. Assuming an injury occurs in October, it's only 2,5 months we'd be stuck with Davis/Barry.

And that's assuming Wesley is seen as not good enough. If Wesley is in the mix, it's very unlikely we would add to that forward line.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

I'm not suprised to see you'd be against it too.

You would only have 11 players in the whole team if your posts of last summer are anything to go by.

There is a thing called squad depth, and quality and backup in every position is required - including strikers.

Thanks for twisting my words. I'm happy with much of our squad. Nakamba has been MOTM in many of the games he's played this season. I think other areas are higher priority requiring backup than striker, specifically both fullback positions. I expect we may promote some youth players next year as extended squad players. I won't be upset if we don't splash big money on 4-5 players but it seems like some people will and I think they're being completely unrealistic. 

Edited by Kiwivillan
  • Haha 1

Just as an aside, everyone talks about Barry as potential striker cover, but he seems to play on the left in the main and Young is the guy down the middle wearing the no9 shirt for the under 18's.  He also looks like a bigger unit, if not already man sized not too far off it. 

Why doesn't he ever enter the conversation? 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Awol said:

I’m sold on Chuk as the back-up No 10 to Jack next season. If we get Buendia in to fight Traore for the RW position, that leaves a LW slot for someone to compete with AEG.

Up front Wes is back up for Ollie, unless he’s either sold or goes out on loan to find some form (rumoured online a few days ago), in which case a new signing who could cover LW and ST would be better. Patson Daka would be amazing but no idea what he’d cost or if he’d come. 

Emi Buendia and Patson Daka to sort out our attacking line up, a DCM if Luiz goes to compete with Marv the magnificent, a LB and a CB to replace Engels. 

I reckon that’s all we need, 5 players, 3 off which need to be top quality starters. Perhaps a few prospects if there’s good value to be had in other positions. 

Way too early for that considering Jack's injury issues. The lads only had around 30 mins of PL football and at 17 should be the back up to the back up so if/when Jack is out there is not immediate huge pressure and expectation on him.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Dele Alli will be another Barkley, probably be worse as we cant dump him back to Spurs as dont think they will take a loan 

Yeah I would hope we've learned our lesson by now and stop taking expensive punts on decaying players on astronomical wages… Barkley was an expensive loan. 
Drinkwater? 🤦‍♂️

46 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Boubakar Kamara has said he won't be signing a new deal at Marseille.

Top notch DM/CB who only turns 22 in November.

Just him and a RW and we'll be exceeding 55 points next season.

Now that’s more like it!

26 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

If an offer came in for Wesley for anywhere near what we paid, we should be accepting it. 

Show some major ambition and offer £50m + Wesley for Milinkovic-Savic! (Lazio have a long standing interest & Savic is an exceptional player who would transform our MF).

Or just continue to stick with and support the lad and see how he gets on…

Edited by Jas10
  • Like 1