Morgan Sanson

Delphinho123

1 hour ago, Hobbit Feet said:

Goes in the Balaban, Djemba Djemba and Salifou category.

Mathieu Berson is the closest example i can think of. 

• Like 1

At the time I think it was being reported as £14m rising to £15.5m. 

Not that it makes that much difference, but y’know, it would be a little bit less that was lost in the old net spend.

Overall feeling with him is mild bemusement about the whole saga. I vaguely remember someone (Purslow?) saying he was a player they wanted to bring in the summer but the opportunity to sign him in January appeared. There was a sense of this being a bit of a coup, which there often is, but I recall them being kinda chuffed about this one.

To then barely appear for the club over the next two years, without an obviously terrible performance under his belt, no McCormack style anecdotes of disruptive behaviour…very odd. A player we spent that sort of money on and I still have no strong opinion of him. Very <shrug shoulders>.

Hopefully it’s an obligation to buy and we get £5m or so.

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, thunderball said:

Huge waste of talent and opportunity. The club completely ducked this up and didn’t look after their asset. A player worth £30m, has clear talent, not given a decent run when we have persevered with McGinn while he laboured his way through very disappointing form, he was also a equal shoe in for Luiz or Buendia at times. Now he leaves for likely less than £10m. Baffling.

Didn't he get injured again and again and again?

Wasn't it Purslow lauding our bargain purchase of getting a 30 mill player for 15-18mill.

I mean if they truly believed that why wasn't he played when possible? Our midfield has legit been low level poor until very recently yet kept back a '30 mill player' 

This is on the whole club especially Purslow. 

I've always thought Sanson played atleast 7/10 every game and looked good so the only thing I can imagine is that he is a poor trainer (Dele Alli) or he has a bad attitude(or comes across like that). 

Disappointed to see him leaving as always thought he was a very good player and will show it again at Montpellier. I don’t buy the poor trainer etc as it would have come up at his previous club. IMO some players at Villa are like Teflon and we’re selected whether they put in good or bad performances and more reflective of both previous managers.

I wish him well and look forward to him getting his career back on track.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Kiwivillan said:

Didn't he get injured again and again and again?

It took ages for him to even come on as sub when he first signed. Think he was unused sub for 6 of his first 7 games.

Then he got a run of 2-3 starts and got injured.

The next season he had that cup game when he looked good but got injured and was then fit for DS final games but again wasn't used (the incident at Arsenal when once again unused sub despite us being terrible first half).

Ironically the one manager to use him a fair bit for a month at least was Gerrard. Regular sub cameos and started the Chelsea and Man. United home games when McGinn was unavailable. 

However he then gave the ball that lead to the 2nd Man. United goal, was subbed straight away and he barely played again rest of the season. This season he didn't even make the bench up until September.

Despite all that I wouldn't say he's some incredible player from what I see but he's energetic and can get around the pitch well with secure passing so bizarre we've used him so rarely off the bench.

To me it shows the perils of a sporting director buying a player for position where a favourite of manager plays (McGinn). So that player remains undroppable and the new signing can never get a run of starts unless there's an injury. Ramsey emergence didn't help him either.

I wish him all the best. Can't wait to read his thoughts on his spell here when he's officially left.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, VillaChris said:

It took ages for him to even come on as sub when he first signed. Think he was unused sub for 6 of his first 7 games.

Then he got a run of 2-3 starts and got injured.

The next season he had that cup game when he looked good but got injured and was then fit for DS final games but again wasn't used (the incident at Arsenal when once again unused sub despite us being terrible first half).

Ironically the one manager to use him a fair bit for a month at least was Gerrard. Regular sub cameos and started the Chelsea and Man. United home games when McGinn was unavailable. 

However he then gave the ball that lead to the 2nd Man. United goal, was subbed straight away and he barely played again rest of the season. This season he didn't even make the bench up until September.

Despite all that I wouldn't say he's some incredible player from what I see but he's energetic and can get around the pitch well with secure passing so bizarre we've used him so rarely off the bench.

To me it shows the perils of a sporting director buying a player for position where a favourite of manager plays (McGinn). So that player remains undroppable and the new signing can never get a run of starts unless there's an injury. Ramsey emergence didn't help him either.

I wish him all the best. Can't wait to read his thoughts on his spell here when he's officially left.

You’re right about him having a number of appearances when Gerrard was new, but he actually got pretty quickly in under Smith and appeared in 9 games when he’d just arrived, Feb-March 2021. Played mostly 10-20 minutes, started two games. Then he got his first injury early April.

Edited by VillaParkAvenue

My Mrs will be happy if he leaves. She's sick to death of me whinging about him being stuck on the bench and fawning over him. Now and then I'll show her the knob picture to hush her.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

We're useless with money. It's not my money and if FFP wasn't a thing, I wouldn’t care.

Instead of having a £20-30m asset that we could sell for a profit (or, you know,  actually play), we now have a largely worthless asset that will still be showing an approximate £8m hit on our balance sheet.

That's assuming we didn't trigger any additional fee milestones to increase the original £14m fee, which I can't imagine we did. 

It drops to just over £6m by the summer,  so maybe they're hoping to get 6m in the summer and break even on him from an FFP perspective.

What a waste.

We've done similar with Traoré. We can't keep doing this.

Edited by MrBlack
  • Like 1

Am I the only one that was never that impressed with him? I watched every game he played for Villa and he never stood out for me. I also watched him a few times for Marseille and he wasn't outstanding there.

With a run of games he maybe could have been good, but yet another manager doesn't seem to rate him that much.

Sorry it's not worked out for him, but meeeeh. 

8 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

Am I the only one that was never that impressed with him? I watched every game he played for Villa and he never stood out for me. I also watched him a few times for Marseille and he wasn't outstanding there.

With a run of games he maybe could have been good, but yet another manager doesn't seem to rate him that much.

I didn’t think he was that amazing vs Stevenage best of a bad bunch bud that doesn’t say much. He might have been a good player for us bar the injuries or managerial changes but it hasn’t worked out ,time to move on.

31 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

20 minutes ago, gwi1890 said:

I didn’t think he was that amazing vs Stevenage best of a bad bunch bud that doesn’t say much. He might have been a good player for us bar the injuries or managerial changes but it hasn’t worked out ,time to move on.

You both take that back - look at how gorgeous he is an absolute dreamboat. 

8 hours ago, Wezbid said:

My Mrs will be happy if he leaves. She's sick to death of me whinging about him being stuck on the bench and fawning over him. Now and then I'll show her the knob picture to hush her.

Mine is the same. She said I was smiling more at seeing him in the starting lineup than when I met her.

I was like Frodo greeting Gimly at the end of LOTR.

tenor-1.gif

• Haha 1

Â