Morgan Sanson

Delphinho123

2 hours ago, MaVilla said:

urm, not sure thats true, regardless of how much we hate Gerrard.

Lerner's tenure led to relegation and 3 years in the championship.

Hard to argue with that but if we’d have given Slippy G more time, which is exactly what Purslow wanted, I think he could easily have surpassed Randy. Randy just gave up, SG was actually trying! 

2 hours ago, Adam2003 said:

What a very strange take.

We lost a few players and slipped down the table like all teams do every now and then last season/start of this one. We are now midtable PL.

Lerner took us from Europe to the Championship. 

I agree that Lerner’s tenure was eventually much worse. The reasons  being largely that he ran out of interest, not that he ever had much really anyway and he ran out of money.

My beef with SG is that everything was set up to succeed, as he, said no excuses. To be honest I don’t blame him for taking the job, it wasn’t his fault that he hadn’t got the experience or skill set to do the job. He made lots of mistakes and of course failed badly. The person I blame is the man who appointed him, gave him a free range and kept him on regardless of the unfolding disaster around him.

Purslow treated the club like it was his own personal plaything. Larry Limelight couldn’t resist appointing a huge superstar and continued the vanity project for as long as possible, pouring petrol on to the flames with the permanent signing of Coutinho when it clearly wasn’t working. Could be the next one out of the door. Hopefully. 

48 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

Well that’s true after a good start. But shit per day the Purslow/Slippy G combo can’t be underestimated. 

Well the Gerrard era is over now. Purslow obviously acknowledged his mistake. On the other hand, it is not far fetch to believe Lerner would have handed a new deal to Gerrard and appointed Carragher as his assistant. 🤣

5 hours ago, Zatman said:

Wouldn't be surprised if Sanson has a France call up within the next 18 months. Criminally underused here while the trainee killed McGinns confidence by playing him further out of form each week

Absolutely this - Sanson can play, make no mistake about this. Criminal that it ever got to this stage.

This is one that we’ll look back on with regret imo 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Villa_Vids said:

Well the Gerrard era is over now. Purslow obviously acknowledged his mistake. On the other hand, it is not far fetch to believe Lerner would have handed a new deal to Gerrard and appointed Carragher as his assistant. 🤣

Did Purslow? He had no say in sacking his mate or hiring Unai

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, El-Reacho said:

That surely goes back to the early 1990's when Villa were in pole position to take advantage of the Premier League boom and become one of the world's biggest clubs like Manchester United did. Alex Ferguson predicted it would be ourselves and United that would become the dominant force in English football as the 90's progressed. Doug Ellis realised he could make a few quid for himself rather than give the club the (relatively small) backing it needed to realise its obvious potential. That's why we've been in the doldrums whilst United, Chelsea, Arsenal have hoovered up trophies.

In the first season of the PL Villa and United were very similar clubs in terms of stature/size/success/history etc. 

I don't want to go too far off topic, but while I agree that Deadly remains the ultimate cause of Villa's decline, I don't think that he failed because of greed. He was just naturally cheap and, more importantly, utterly failed to recognize that the football landscape was changing. It went from community-club-run-by-community-caretaker-businessman to big-time international business, but Deadly continued to run the club like a small concern and pinch pennies as if nothing had changed. The irony is that if he had invested a bit, he would have made a lot more when he sold the club. We had been an elite club before and were indeed in a position to dominate, which is why we as supporters still feel that we belong back there.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Mic09 said:

Am I the only one that was never that impressed with him? I watched every game he played for Villa and he never stood out for me. I also watched him a few times for Marseille and he wasn't outstanding there.

With a run of games he maybe could have been good, but yet another manager doesn't seem to rate him that much.

Sorry it's not worked out for him, but meeeeh. 

Yeah I'm the same but to me it was the lack of use from the bench. Especially in the final month of DS and pretty much from February under Gerrard. You've got a CM who can provide energy and press at least so made sense to have him as regular sub rather than have McGinn just churning out 90 minutes every week. Ramsey also dipped in form from mid March last season and needed to be rested so that's where the frustration was.

Actually forgot Sanson randomly started the Wolves away game and was deemed on here to be one of our better players so of course he was dropped the next match (which we lost 0-4). Why didn't he start Burnley at home for instance? Carney did which seemed a last ditch attempt to get him to sign a new deal.

Was also unused when we were 2 up v Man. City on last day so those are times where he could've been involved.

3 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Yeah I'm the same but to me it was the lack of use from the bench. Especially in the final month of DS and pretty much from February under Gerrard. You've got a CM who can provide energy and press at least so made sense to have him as regular sub rather than have McGinn just churning out 90 minutes every week. Ramsey also dipped in form from mid March last season and needed to be rested so that's where the frustration was.

Actually forgot Sanson randomly started the Wolves away game and was deemed on here to be one of our better players so of course he was dropped the next match (which we lost 0-4). Why didn't he start Burnley at home for instance? Carney did which seemed a last ditch attempt to get him to sign a new deal.

Was also unused when we were 2 up v Man. City on last day so those are times where he could've been involved.

Yup, absolutely criminally underused.

A fit Sanson coming on at 60 minutes to replace an exhausted McGinn would have been a no brainer. So many games. Couldn't do that though, he'd made the meatball captain.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, villan-scott said:

Like when you get a text from your ex a week after breaking up asking for one more shot. It’ll either get better and move forward - or you realise going separate ways is for the best. I hope he smashes it, and continues to smash it! The Sanson Redemption is coming. 

Good man management as well from Unai

Unai has played the old “I want to break up, but we can still have sex now if you want” card. Nice, I bet he does it in such a way that you’re apologising to him for letting him down.

Edited by Woody1000
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, villan-scott said:

Like when you get a text from your ex a week after breaking up asking for one more shot. It’ll either get better and move forward - or you realise going separate ways is for the best. I hope he smashes it, and continues to smash it! The Sanson Redemption is coming. 

F**king glorious. 

Getting the Sanson 25 shirt out for tonight's game. 

• Like 2

Wherever he goes we won't get much contribution or fee for him because he's not kicked a ball in a year.

Makes sense to just keep options open. Why discard a player when we'll probably save 10 bags a week at best thanks to captain knobhead.

Ball is in Sansons Court. I'd say he needs to play and go but if he wants to fight....

20 hours ago, DaveAV1 said:

I agree that Lerner’s tenure was eventually much worse. The reasons  being largely that he ran out of interest, not that he ever had much really anyway and he ran out of money.

My beef with SG is that everything was set up to succeed, as he, said no excuses. To be honest I don’t blame him for taking the job, it wasn’t his fault that he hadn’t got the experience or skill set to do the job. He made lots of mistakes and of course failed badly. The person I blame is the man who appointed him, gave him a free range and kept him on regardless of the unfolding disaster around him.

Purslow treated the club like it was his own personal plaything. Larry Limelight couldn’t resist appointing a huge superstar and continued the vanity project for as long as possible, pouring petrol on to the flames with the permanent signing of Coutinho when it clearly wasn’t working. Could be the next one out of the door. Hopefully. 

He did indeed make lots of mistakes, but I don't think you can absolve him because he was offered a job he shouldn't have been offered. Gerrard's ego (built by being a great footballer not a great manager) prevented him from developing in any way as a manager whilst he was here. The only tiny glimpse of self-reflection he ever showed was the interview after the Fulham game the night he was sacked, when it was blatantly obvious to even the most blind of his fans that he was a million miles out of his depth. He never once learned from his mistakes and kept repeating them over and over out of sheer stubbornness and refusal to accept he was in the wrong. That's what winds me up so much about Gerrard over all of the other failed managers we've had - and that's on him rather than those that put him there.

• Thanks 1

Â