Bertrand Traoré

Delphinho123

He worked hard without ever being threatening.  But he is due a great game soon as he is such a mecurial talent . If we want the good stuff Traore does then we will have to put up with the bad stuff . UNTIL it has been coached out of him ( the bad not the good ) 

• Like 1

He's got a touch of class on the ball imo, really calm in possesion and can see a pass. Also makes good runs into the centre of box when ball is about to be crossed, Jack nearly found him from one in second half yesterday and he had a few shots blocked v Burnley.

A massive work in progress when we don't have the ball however.

I'd like to see him get a run of games in number 10 position personally. Think three behind striker of Jack, him and Trez would be nicely balanced but Barkley is obviously starting there every time he's fit so we won't see it much.

Not too badly in last two months anywhere considering how quick a few were to write him off after a few of his early sub cameos.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, VillaChris said:

He's got a touch of class on the ball imo, really calm in possesion and can see a pass. Also makes good runs into the centre of box when ball is about to be crossed, Jack nearly found him from one in second half yesterday and he had a few shots blocked v Burnley.

A massive work in progress when we don't have the ball however.

I'd like to see him get a run of games in number 10 position personally. Think three behind striker of Jack, him and Trez would be nicely balanced but Barkley is obviously starting there every time he's fit so we won't see it much.

Not too badly in last two months anywhere considering how quick a few were to write him off after a few of his early sub cameos.

I thought similar about his running into the box, hes nearly always an option and often makes the striker run when Watkins is out wide. I think Dean would play him ahead of Davies if Watkins was injured.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cheltenham_villa said:

I thought similar about his running into the box, hes nearly always an option and often makes the striker run when Watkins is out wide. I think Dean would play him ahead of Davies if Watkins was injured.

I’m no expert on centre forward play, and I am a Watkins fan, but I think you are right about this, and I reckon he’d be great.. sort of reminds me of Yorke with his ability to stay calm in front of goal.

1 hour ago, cheltenham_villa said:

Completely agree, I'm pretty sure his scoring record and performances at centre forward were part of the reason he was signed.

Judging by his movement in the box and finishing so far I'd be happy with him up front, luckily though we've got someone even better at it.

Induces bum-clenching with some of this first time backpasses and sliced clearances but overall has been very good. Great touch, comfortable on the dribble, working harder in defense and a natural instinct for scoring goals.

Starting to link up nicely with Cash. There was some wonderful attacking play between the two on evidence vs Southampton and they are working out each others defensive game.

Great purchase.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I just watched another one of his YouTube videos and it’s pretty much what he has been doing for us. I’m really confused to why there was so much negativity when we signed him. He’s a good player. 

Yeah, been wondering about that myself too. Its bizaare how much they dislike him.

Part of it may be because Lyon's standards, at least relative to their entire league is higher than ours. Even now we have some people on here who see Traore as a good backup instead of a starting player for where we want to be.

Make no mistake, he can also be incredibly frustrating to watch. He's a highlights player in the sense his greatest moments are incredible but in between, he also has a lot of bad moments where he can be inconsistent and that's not going to be captured in a youtube video. Talking to some Lyon fans, it seems like this is their consensus of him. Great on his day, but far too inconsistent and frustrating otherwise and I can't say that's been much different to how he's played for us.

He always looks like he's so casual which looks amazing when he's great but when you're losing a game, I can see it pissing some fans off.

His defensive stats are actually pretty decent for them but some Lyon fans don't think he contributed enough defensively. That could again be, because he has such a casual play style and he got shoehorned as a luxury type player who didn't contribute defensively.

I brought this up lastly, because I really don't want to bring up racism as a factor, but its entirely possible it was a factor.

Combine all the above, I'd say he got scapegoated by their fanbase. He probably went through a rough patch at some point in his Lyon career, and due to a combination of factors above, he was never able to turn the narrative that he was terrible around with the fans before he left.

Narratives can be persistent. When a narrative takes hold, it can suddenly colour everyone's perception of a player. People who already thought Traore was shit simply saw more of his negative traits than his positives.

Maybe part of it was also because people don't like to admit that they were wrong too. People who had nailed their mast on the Traore is terrible narrative are probably unconciously or conciously looking for situations to criticize him over. If Traore were to suddenly become good, then it would make them look somewhat the fool.

It would take some level of persistence to break that kind of narrative oncr itd set, and unfortuntately inconsistent players struggle more against it than others. I think most of us thought Trezeguet was not good enough for us last season, some were even saying he wouldn't even be good enough for the Championship. Then he started this season consistently playing well before the narrative of him started to turn. Someone like Traore isn't going likely to have a run of games where he plays well, its more likely they'll be intersparsed among matches.

• Like 2

Personally, my bright spark tonight.

Made an instant impact.

Showed he has the skill and touch which can create space and take him away from pressing players in one move.

Might have been fatigued, hence not played from the off.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, PaulC said:

Can understand him being left-out because he was shocking against Southampton but El Ghazi offered nothing. 

El ghazi doesnt seem to play well when he starts. Does better as asub which is very wierd 

On 31/01/2021 at 18:41, Villa 59 said:

I thought he was awful last night and the reason why Trezeguet should have replaced him early in the 2nd half IMO

But he showed on numerous occasions that he has one thing Hassan will never have, a first touch.

54 minutes ago, villa89 said:

But he showed on numerous occasions that he has one thing Hassan will never have, a first touch.

My post was from the Southampton match mate...not last night!

He deserved a full game's rest but AEG was so bad that he didn't even have that luxury. It's been difficult acclimatising to the way we play as it's asking a lot more of him as a player than I think he'd been used to before, but he's working hard and doing a good job. 

Â