Emiliano Martínez

hippo

6 hours ago, ChesterDad said:

I’m honestly not - you are so right 👍🏻. But do I think he will be our number 1 next season? No I really do not 

Where would he go? 

I don’t think Martinez will ever be worth more than he is right now given his recent successes, his award from FIFA and the fact he’s got four years left on his contract.   If he’s leaving then it needs to be a club who will be prepared to pay a fee that is right up with the world record fee for a goalkeeper and how many clubs are in a position to do that that are also in the market for a goalkeeper?  I can only think of Manchester United if they don’t renew De Gea.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It's not impossible that an enormous offer comes in for him but his value is enormous at the moment and he has a long contract. We'd be well positioned to get a massive fee and be able to replace him reasonably well. I'm not sure that there are many clubs who both need a goalkeeper and will be prepared to spend £50mil+ we'll expect for him.

To take the next step we need to accept that while we're climbing the mountain, some players will get their heads turned by big CL clubs and be off. We just have to make sure that we re-invest well and that our culture means we improve regardless.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ThunderPower_14 said:

It's not impossible that an enormous offer comes in for him but his value is enormous at the moment and he has a long contract. We'd be well positioned to get a massive fee and be able to replace him reasonably well. I'm not sure that there are many clubs who both need a goalkeeper and will be prepared to spend £50mil+ we'll expect for him.

To take the next step we need to accept that while we're climbing the mountain, some players will get their heads turned by big CL clubs and be off. We just have to make sure that we re-invest well and that our culture means we improve regardless.

It’ll need to be £75m+ tbh. Villa would want to go out and sign another top class GK and outfield player with the money if we were to let him go.

He’s the one player in our squad who we can’t replace. Like Grealish when he left. I’ll be sad if we lose him because he’s so important on and off the pitch for us. 

• Like 1

He ain't going anywhere apart from a European tour with Villa. Spain would imo be his only destination and neither of the clubs that could attract him are in a position to go spend 80 - 100m on a keeper. 

If we hadn't got European football next season he may well have been looking at his options, now he'll feel after the WC things are heading in the right direction at Villa too. He ain't leaving. 

• Like 2

Very few clubs could afford his transfer fee

Its likely that very few clubs would be a desirable destination for him - he is adored here, is very happy and we're clearly on the up - would he swap that for Chelsea? 

We've got the lowest European competition, but its a chance at silverware - and a genius manager.

And he is living his dream here - Copa America, World Cup. 

A crazy offer might mean he goes, but hugely unlikely in my opinion.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, markavfc40 said:

I'm amazed some think that Emi will be off. 

For a player to leave a club regardless of if there are clubs that want to sign him, as there undoubtedly is, you need a willing seller and a player that wants to move on. We have neither.

Of course he could take the fast track to Champions league football. Or he can stay here and achieve that with a club whose undoubted ambition is to do just that in the next couple of years. Of course ambition without the means to back it up means f all. Fortunately we have everything required to back it up.

Emi is quite a unique player. Up until he was 28 he had hardly played. Then he comes to Villa and over the last  3 years he has played Premier league football week in week out, become Argentinas number 1, won the world cup and qualified for European football. To top that off he has achieved a connection with our fan base that you simply can't quantify and must mean so much to someone that spent time at 7 clubs in the 7 years prior to joining us.

I am in zero doubt he'll stay and keep improving, achieving and living his dream with Aston Villa, including playing Champions league football.

Good post Mark and spot on imo. 

• Thanks 1

I can't believe how people are still so naive about players leaving to say that he's definitely 100% staying. None of us know if he'll stay, but we can be hopeful.

Edited by Tom13

Surely the fact Brighton who have finished in the European competition above ours are losing Macallester should show us it’s not guaranteed he will stay.

I’ll be gutted if he goes of course. But I’m not under the illusion he’s 100% staying. 

Think it would be naive to think so. Unfortunately. 

I think European football with Villa will have a big sway on Emi, even if it is the Conference League.

If we would have missed out, I think he would've been tempted by a move. 

• Like 1

Given his history and how Aston Villa have turned round his career, and he has seen what it is like to be a nobody at other clubs, or have the fans turn on him (Grealish had not had that experience), He loves it at Villa and knows he is adored here. He also knows under Emery we have a very good chance of winning things. I think he will stay, especially now we have Europe next season. 

27 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

I can't believe how people are still so naive about players leaving to say that he's definitely 100% staying. None of us know if he'll stay, but we can be hopeful.

Indeed. Players will say all the right words until they've signed on the dotted line at another club.

I'm hopeful that he'll still be here next season, but what he says on the pitch or on his socials mean nothing to me. Have people really not learned from Delph and Grealish?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Â