Emiliano Martínez

hippo

Villa would ask an insane amount from United for Martinez. We’re talking £80-£100m. 

Im so relaxed about the Martinez situation. I can’t see anybody spending the amount we’d want for him and if somebody does, well, we’ll have a LOT more money to play with this window. 

We should try and keep at all costs though for sure. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Tom13 said:

Where does that sit on the barometer of individual accolades?

If the barometer is zero to Garth Crooks Team of the Week captain.

Its why he went forward that time vs Arsenal as it was the only time he would have made Garths Team of the Week was by scoring

• Like 1

12 hours ago, pete101 said:

Sad day, really liked Brad Friedel but in skysports interview he just gave, he said that spurs should sign Emi , lost all respect for him now 

Brad can say what he likes, that's never going to happen. They can't even offer him European football and they have their hands full trying to keep Kane, let alone getting Levy to spend enough money to buy the best goalkeeper in the world. 

9 hours ago, HeyAnty said:

He will leave imo.  Won’t be Spurs though, my bet utd.

If he does go, I would think a more likely destination would be somewhere like Madrid, Barcelona, Paris, or the other side of Manchester and that wouldn't be any time soon. He has things to win with us and I can see him wanting to secure his status as a legend at Villa Park. Manchester United aren't as big a pull as they once were, they would perhaps have more luck in going for Pickford, who might prefer a move to them more than another relegation fight and frankly I don't care who they might want to sign. 

7 minutes ago, John said:

Brad can say what he likes, that's never going to happen. They can't even offer him European football and they have their hands full trying to keep Kane, let alone getting Levy to spend enough money to buy the best goalkeeper in the world. 

If he does go, I would think a more likely destination would be somewhere like Madrid, Barcelona, Paris, or the other side of Manchester and that wouldn't be any time soon. He has things to win with us and I can see him wanting to secure his status as a legend at Villa Park. Manchester United aren't as big a pull as they once were, they would perhaps have more luck in going for Pickford, who might prefer a move to them more than another relegation fight and frankly I don't care who they might want to sign. 

The only club without a top goalkeeper who might be able to afford him is Utd. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, lexicon said:

The only club without a top goalkeeper who might be able to afford him is Utd. 

They won't want to pay the money though and we unlike Everton wouldn't entertain any offer from them. 

I'd just have Martinez see out his contract. Maybe sell in his final year if we think we have a replacement lined up. He has 4 years left so it's a non issue for us unless a massive bid comes in

17 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

I'd just have Martinez see out his contract. Maybe sell in his final year if we think we have a replacement lined up. He has 4 years left so it's a non issue for us unless a massive bid comes in

It's a tough call to have him do that when we have FFP to content with. Of all the positions on the field though,  it's probably the one I'd be happiest seeing us take a hit. 

Nothing to say we couldn't extend his contract for a year or two either, then make some money from him in a few years time. Given his limited game time so far he should have a fairly length career still ahead of him. 

Equally, with the way we have him locked down and how much he loves us, I feel like we're winning whatever happens with Emi.

2 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

It's a tough call to have him do that when we have FFP to content with. Of all the positions on the field though,  it's probably the one I'd be happiest seeing us take a hit. 

Nothing to say we couldn't extend his contract for a year or two either, then make some money from him in a few years time. Given his limited game time so far he should have a fairly length career still ahead of him. 

Equally, with the way we have him locked down and how much he loves us, I feel like we're winning whatever happens with Emi.

Players still fetch a big fee with one year left. Look at what price Kane is being touted for. Look at Mount. Also waiting till then allows us the time to find the right back up keeper who can grow into our first team replacement. I think that's key for next summer and Olsen moves on

• Like 1

I guess Chelsea and Spurs want new keepers but neither plays in Europe so Martinez would be wise to wait at least a year to see what happens with them.

Man City, Arsenal, Man Utd, Newcastle don't need one. Not Liverpool either.

Chelsea and Spurs don't play in Europe so I think we're in a decent spot.

Edited by Pinebro

2 minutes ago, Pinebro said:

I guess Chelsea and Spurs want new keepers but neither plays in Europe so Martinez would be wise to wait at least a year to see what happens with them.

Man City, Arsenal, Man Utd, Newcastle don't need one. Not Liverpool either.

Chelsea and Spurs don't play in Europe so I think we're in a decent spot.

I'd argue United do need one. De Gea has been awful this season,  and it's a trend that is getting worse.

Whether they can afford to spend so much on replacing him is another matter. 

Just now, MrBlack said:

I'd argue United do need one. De Gea has been awful this season,  and it's a trend that is getting worse.

Whether they can afford to spend so much on replacing him is another matter. 

How are they gonna get De Gea's massive wages out of their books?

He won't have many suitors when he's on that money.

They are a horribly run club and will pay the prize for it.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Pinebro said:

Agree, that's a different reason from not needing one though ;). 

11 hours ago, ender4 said:

What makes you think this?

To much talk about us being interested in other goalkeepers who wouldn’t be a second choice.  Plus if big big money came in I doubt the club would turn it down.  60-70m be hard to turn down for goalkeeper.  

Plus Utd are only club who would really be on lookout for top goalkeeper 

2 hours ago, John said:

They won't want to pay the money though and we unlike Everton wouldn't entertain any offer from them. 

They might stump up for him - they've spent ridiculous numbers on players for years - but it'd take a massive sum for us to consider selling him. Grealish levels IMO. 

49 minutes ago, lexicon said:

They might stump up for him - they've spent ridiculous numbers on players for years - but it'd take a massive sum for us to consider selling him. Grealish levels IMO. 

Whether they might or not:

image.jpeg.ca84f26b422c282a2173fddff4b24018.jpeg 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Pinebro said:

Didnt De Gea just take a huge pay cut? Granted he was on 375k a week and im not sure what it is now

I'm slightly worried about his situation because why would there not be interest in such a player, but there are a lot of good, younger keepers out there that wouldn't command the fee you'd imagine Villa will want for him, which is a bit of comfort.

Â