Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

On 12/06/2021 at 00:54, Dave-R said:

They will make even more profit if they continue there way of selling in the prem, especially if they can continue life in the prem without relegation, if they can accomplish both they will indeed be one heck of a run club.

The Premier League is obviously a money pot for them, but I think Brentford will struggle to keep doing what they've been doing. The reason they've been able to buy the players they've bought, and be patient with them until they found their feet so to speak, is because whenever they'd struggle with a new signing and give him time to get it right, they'd just lose a few matches and venture midtable. They've had a great system and found lots of good players, but they have also been able to develop players cause they were very settled in their comfort zone. Any player would ultimately find his feet and they'd start doing better and move up the table. But you can't do that in the PL. Say Toney is sold this summer, even if I can't see it happening. Do you really think their new striker, whoever that may be, will get the time to get it right when you're thrown right into the PL? No. They'd get relegated by that, on PL wages.

Secondly whoever they then will want to sign will know Brentford are in the PL money, so any gambles from the French league... take that championship price and multiply it by 10.

Now ofc. if their ambition is to be a Norwich type club, well no worries I guess. Nothing wrong with that.

Edited by KenjiOgiwara
  • Like 2

On 14/06/2021 at 10:09, KenjiOgiwara said:

The Premier League is obviously a money pot for them, but I think Brentford will struggle to keep doing what they've been doing. The reason they've been able to buy the players they've bought, and be patient with them until they found their feet so to speak, is because whenever they'd struggle with a new signing and give him time to get it right, they'd just lose a few matches and venture midtable. They've had a great system and found lots of good players, but they have also been able to develop players cause they were very settled in their comfort zone. Any player would ultimately find his feet and they'd start doing better and move up the table. But you can't do that in the PL. Say Toney is sold this summer, even if I can't see it happening. Do you really think their new striker, whoever that may be, will get the time to get it right when you're thrown right into the PL? No. They'd get relegated by that, on PL wages.

Secondly whoever they then will want to sign will know Brentford are in the PL money, so any gambles from the French league... take that championship price and multiply it by 10.

Now ofc. if their ambition is to be a Norwich type club, well no worries I guess. Nothing wrong with that.

I think to lesser extent Southampton can be a example of this they’ve gone from a team on the brink of getting into the top 8 to being just another club that’s happy to be in the league , it’s a fine line the gap between mid table and the relegation spots were big this season but the previous season there was nothing in it.

Because Kane has decided he must do a Rooney and refuse to stay up front...

There's 0% chance England wouldn't look better this tournament with Ollie up front.

Having to bring Rashford on up there ffs.

3 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Because Kane has decided he must do a Rooney and refuse to stay up front...

There's 0% chance England wouldn't look better this tournament with Ollie up front.

Having to bring Rashford on up there ffs.

That is coaching though.

Someone needs to tell him he is not a central midfielder and stop dropping deep

On 27/05/2021 at 07:18, John said:

Have you got any more top young players for us like Ollie or Ben Chrisene, coming off your production line?  

thanks for the enquiry, apologies for delay in replying and if this is the wrong thread. BTW the Ollie cash (Exeter get 15% of Brentford's profit) has essentially kept the club (owned by a Supporters Trust) going during the pandemic. And the 15% of  add ons really help too, so we're very grateful that Villa have developed Ollie into an England international

The answer is yes, but there is disappointment that Villa aren't apparently in the race to sign them (disappointment because Villa conducted the Chrisene transfer in a more respectful and professional way than other Premier League clubs)

The year below Chrisene is a bumper year.  Sonny Cox , striker, likes scoring four goals a game - did so as they won the national final for Cat 2+3 Academies. And scored four for Man Utd in a PL U16 match in his game on trial there.  However, latest rumour is that Liverpool will pip Man Utd to this signing.

15 year old keeper Harry Lee has been training with Chelsea and Everton. On the bench often in League Two last season, Exeter are fighting to try to get him to stay. None of Liverpool, Man Utd, Chelsea or Everton are prepared to meet our valuations, so a Tribunal will result if either move.

As for Watkins-esque signings, 21 year old winger/forward Joel Randall  is being tracked by Norwich and Celtic - and a Championship club have had a bid rejected a couple of days back. Villa fans will understand why Norwich are looking to strengthen their wing/forward options! But I think that whilst a Chrisene route would be understandable for 15/16 year old Cox and Lee, 21 year old Randall would be better off following the Watkins route - he isn't (yet?) good enough for the Premiership and now needs to play regular first team football at ,say, Championship level.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

9 hours ago, chappy said:

Every England game so far has been crying out for him to be on the pitch and staying in the top third of the field

Fixed that for you. Kane dropping deep is killing our creativity

Watkins has more energy and pace than any other PL striker, how good would he be playing upfront at the Euros for England.

With Grealish, Foden, Saka and Mount providing service he'd be top scorer in the competition by now and Deutschland would be quaking in their boots.

• Like 2

On 24/06/2021 at 17:31, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Watkins has more energy and pace than any other PL striker, how good would he be playing upfront at the Euros for England.

With Grealish, Foden, Saka and Mount providing service he'd be top scorer in the competition by now and Deutschland would be quaking in their boots.

I think DCL is quicker than Watkins. DCL is a good player, but of course Southgate will never bring him on.

5 hours ago, Rolta said:

I think DCL is quicker than Watkins. DCL is a bad player, but of course Southgate will never bring him on.

Fixed.

5 goals in his last 25 games. Terrible build up stats, 0 assists, no dribbling skill, no chance creation. All he is good at is winning the ball in the air and occasionally putting the ball in the back of the net. Bamford* and Watkins are both twice the players and it is a disgrace that calvert-lewin was selected ahead of either of them. 

*And we all really **** hate Bamford. 

1 hour ago, MotoMkali said:

5 goals in his last 25 games. Terrible build up stats, 0 assists, no dribbling skill, no chance creation. All he is good at is winning the ball in the air and occasionally putting the ball in the back of the net.

He scored 16 goals in 33 PL matches this year. Basically one in two.

Watergate was a disgrace. Jimmy Savile was a disgrace. I’m not a massive fan of DCL either but come on, it’s not a “disgrace” he made the squad.

• Like 2

Before people crucify me, I think Ollie should be our number 1 striker next season.

I wouldn’t mind seeing him play in a second striker/CF and maybe even CAM role next year. He seems to have all the right attributes to play there then really aggressively push forward into space. Would be even harder to track too as he would be coming from deeper.

Reminds me of Totti at time with less tricks and a lower range of passing ability.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, KangarooVillan said:

Before people crucify me, I think Ollie should be our number 1 striker next season.

I wouldn’t mind seeing him play in a second striker/CF and maybe even CAM role next year. He seems to have all the right attributes to play there then really aggressively push forward into space. Would be even harder to track too as he would be coming from deeper.

Reminds me of Totti at time with less tricks and a lower range of passing ability.

I don’t disagree with that. I think what we are trying to build up front is flexibility. I think actual fixed positions aren’t going to be so recognisable next season. Obviously keeping shape is important defensively and in the deeper midfield positions but being fluid in attack, provided our players know what we’re doing, can really hurt the opposition. 

I believe Ollie will most likely be our number one striker next year but I’m not against him having a less traditional CF role depending on situations and who, if anyone, we bring in to play upfront with him. 

• Like 1

Â