Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

28 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Irony is, when people were moaning in the Euro match threads about how deep Kane was playing, areas he was in and where he was picking up the ball.

I had to wonder if they had ever watch us play, and how Ollie often had to play the same way?

I think the difference is that Ollie comes deep to do defensive work, but then returns to where he is supposed to be.

Kane seems to drop there purely to get involved. Which is fine because that’s how he plays for Spurs, and his goals/assists tally speaks for itself. 

I may be wrong?

• Like 2

Just now, Thug said:

I think the difference is that Ollie comes deep to do defensive work, but then returns to where he is supposed to be.

Kane seems to drop there purely to get involved. Which is fine because that’s how he plays for Spurs, and his goals/assists tally speaks for itself. 

I may be wrong?

Never realised he played like that for Spurs as well to be fair.

However, seems a huge waste of attacking threat for him to be doing so, especially for England.

5 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

However, seems a huge waste of attacking threat for him to be doing so, especially for England.

He only really started to drop deep under Jose, it worked though. Golden boot winner and most assists. He has to do it for England as the supply into him in the main was poor. If only we had a player in the squad he could hit it off with.

• Like 3

Just now, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

It’s a difficult one, because he has real qualities with his passing too.

I just don’t like the way England set up at all. There’s just not enough support behind Kane to keep him pushed up front.  There’s not enough pressure in the final third to keep him involved enough to keep him in & around the area.  

With the balance of the team being too focused around the defensive part of the pitch, he’s just too far away from the action.

3 hours ago, Thug said:

It’s a difficult one, because he has real qualities with his passing too.

I just don’t like the way England set up at all. There’s just not enough support behind Kane to keep him pushed up front.  There’s not enough pressure in the final third to keep him involved enough to keep him in & around the area.  

With the balance of the team being too focused around the defensive part of the pitch, he’s just too far away from the action.

It’s just not how modern progressive football is played. The last successful manager to play basic defence focused football was Mourinho and his successful days are really something largely in the past. It’s something that is largely done when a manager has a limited talent pool and so ultimately tries to stop a football match taking place. We all know who the usual suspects were, but there’s not so many of them about now. Certainly not at top clubs. Not only does nobody want to see it, it’s also increasingly seen as not effective. 

I’m not saying everyone plays like Pepe’s Man City, who has an embarrassment of riches, but most successful managers now realise that it’s not enough to just try to stop the opposition, you must also have ways to hurt them. Being ultra defensive and simply hoping you’ll get a goal from a set piece or by launching it long to fast runners, really doesn’t maximise your chances of winning. 

Last night the Italians just controlled the game and could attack without much fear of England producing anything that could hurt them. That only changed with the belated introduction of a football player who wanted the ball and knew how to use it. The fact that his colleagues had by them forgotten how they play at their clubs and continued to try to follow the game plan of passing to the fastest runner and watch him run head long down a blind alley, meant that his introduction was to a large extent nullified. Their two ageing and slow central defenders weren’t really put under any significant sustained pressure. Although to be fair to them, they are both excellent experienced players, however we still didn’t exploit that weakness in their game.

We were all frustrated to watch it, I can’t imagine what top PL managers were thinking. Dean probably thinks never mind Jack’s shins, we need to get the lad some psychiatric help as a priority. Whilst Pepe probably thinks, that is exactly why he doesn’t really pick Sterling much these days. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Dante_Lockhart said:

A few people have mentioned Watkins going crazy on the beep test. I wanna see it with my own eyes!

Just go on the o/s and watch Buendia’s first day video. 

Ollie is an intelligent, self aware man who knows a big part in his journey to be a top professional footballer for a top level club and his country is to be at his peak of physical fitness. His commitment and drive is hugely commendable and should an excellent example to both Villa's young and experienced players.

Villa's backroom staff will be well aware of Watkins' incredible efforts and hope that it pushes the other players to be at their very best, so it's no surprise that Buendia's 'first day' video includes Ollie's fitness heroics.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, brommy said:

Ollie is an intelligent, self aware man who knows a big part in his journey to be a top professional footballer for a top level club and his country is to be at his peak of physical fitness. His commitment and drive is hugely commendable and should an excellent example to both Villa's young and experienced players.

Villa's backroom staff will be well aware of Watkins' incredible efforts and hope that it pushes the other players to be at their very best, so it's no surprise that Buendia's 'first day' video includes Ollie's fitness heroics.

It really did get extremely highlighted considering it was a Buendia video. Got a good chunk of air time.

• Like 1

He needs a hand up front or at least someone that can give him a break,but havent heard of anyone yet.Hope DS is not depending on him playing 38 games plus cup gameswithout a break.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, PussEKatt said:

He needs a hand up front or at least someone that can give him a break,but havent heard of anyone yet.Hope DS is not depending on him playing 38 games plus cup gameswithout a break.

Wesley should be fully fit to start the season. 

Just now, Rightdm00 said:

Wesley should be fully fit to start the season. 

Unfortunately it's not Wesley's fitness that I'm worried about 😕

I just don't really know if he is good enough. But I really hope he proves me wrong because I'd love him to do well

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TheMelvillan said:

Unfortunately it's not Wesley's fitness that I'm worried about 😕

I just don't really know if he is good enough. But I really hope he proves me wrong because I'd love him to do well

If you look through the league very few PL teams have a decent to starting 11 strikers backing up the first choice. Jury is out on Wesley but given cups, injury, and rotation he should get multiple opportunities to prove his quality. 

4 minutes ago, Rightdm00 said:

If you look through the league very few PL teams have a decent to starting 11 strikers backing up the first choice. Jury is out on Wesley but given cups, injury, and rotation he should get multiple opportunities to prove his quality. 

I imagine if he’s deemed surplus they’ll move him on, but I definitely think he’ll be given his chance. He was looking to build up a bit of form prior to that injury, I can’t imagine after all this recovery he won’t be given game time.

On 14/07/2021 at 09:09, 7392craig said:

I imagine if he’s deemed surplus they’ll move him on, but I definitely think he’ll be given his chance. He was looking to build up a bit of form prior to that injury, I can’t imagine after all this recovery he won’t be given game time.

He will definately be given game time.It remains to be seen how good he is,I personally hope he is good enough,he seems like a good guy. 

• Like 1

Â