Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

1 minute ago, maqroll said:

Villa calls him "OW11" on social media.

Doesn't quite roll off the tongue. 

He seriously need to get that 9 shirt.

Disgrace that Wesley has it.

No diss to Wes it's just that Ollie deserves to wear that shirt.

Penalties would massively help his odds of being up there for Golden Boot. I reckon he’ll improve on last year, maybe hit something in the 18-20 range (give or take). Penalties would boost that to about 25.

8 minutes ago, Enda said:

Penalties would massively help his odds of being up there for Golden Boot. I reckon he’ll improve on last year, maybe hit something in the 18-20 range (give or take). Penalties would boost that to about 25.

His penalty record is pretty terrible though. He's scored 2 out of 6 in his entire senier career so far.

18 hours ago, KentVillan said:

He looks like he's beefed up a lot. I'm still a bit haunted by when Gabby did that and lost a yard of pace, but hopefully it's part of a plan that's been agreed with the club.

Only problem with packing on muscle is sometimes it makes players more sluggish and injury prone. But if it means he's able to really bully defenders, then could be some quality target man play to look forward to this season with Buendia, Grealish, etc playing off him.

The difference was that Gabby relied almost solely on pace. So when he lost a yard he had nothing left.

Watkins is a far more rounded footballer than Gabby ever was

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Enda said:

I would hope that El Ghazi will be getting less and less game time so I imagine Watkins will be first choice to take them when El ghazi isn't on the pitch.

He's the player who took them last year when El Ghazi wasn't paying (albeit he missed one of two)

Just putting it out there now, the number 9 shirt will never go to Ollie. He's played in the 11 virtually his whole career, it's the reason Nakamba was asked to vacate the number when he joined.

18 hours ago, KentVillan said:

He looks like he's beefed up a lot. I'm still a bit haunted by when Gabby did that and lost a yard of pace, but hopefully it's part of a plan that's been agreed with the club.

Only problem with packing on muscle is sometimes it makes players more sluggish and injury prone. But if it means he's able to really bully defenders, then could be some quality target man play to look forward to this season with Buendia, Grealish, etc playing off him.

He's not beefed up that much? He still looks lean asf to me. Muscle growth can be used to support your joints too and make you less injury prone. And as with everything sports science related, it's very individual. 

An extra inch around the shoulders probably isn't going to turn an absolute machine like Watkins into a bag of sticks. 

1 minute ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

He's not beefed up that much? He still looks lean asf to me. Muscle growth can be used to support your joints too and make you less injury prone. And as with everything sports science related, it's very individual. 

An extra inch around the shoulders probably isn't going to turn an absolute machine like Watkins into a bag of sticks. 

I always enjoy how much people think footballers can "bulk up" over a summer anyway. He's been off for 6 weeks, unless he's on the juice he's not exactly going to be Akinfenwa

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Stevo985 said:

I always enjoy how much people think footballers can "bulk up" over a summer anyway. He's been off for 6 weeks, unless he's on the juice he's not exactly going to be Akinfenwa

Depending on your base you can probably pack on between 1-2kg of muscle, maybe? It's not an exact science, but yeah Ollie Watkins has not been 'bulking'. I mean in the pic the OP has seen he might have been carrying a little extra water mass, for example. Certainly didn't look out of sorts last night. 

Â