Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

42 minutes ago, Phil Silvers said:

Pity Ollie plays for Villa, could have had a brilliant international career.

Let’s see, it seems that Southgate will be trying to get some players from Villa to show he have no issue with Jack. Sometimes the focus has a great effect. Up until Fulham many would say Watkins might flop. Even some Villa fans weren’t as excited as they’re now. His hatrick against Liverpool made everyone noticing him. Some performances against big teams gives a player a huge focus, it also gives him a great boost and confidence. Watkins himself been trying hard to score against Fulham, now he’ll be more comfortable and knows he can cut it at this level. He’s our biggest signing of all time, so he have to prove that. What he did will take burden which he might have or had. I think the media had him now as a contender for the England squad. Keep scoring and he might quickly put himself there. Some were doubting Lewin last season (despite the amount he scored), the way he began this season made him a nailed starter, it only took 4 games to do himself that favor. 

1 minute ago, TheMelvillan said:

Hypothetically, if he has scored more than Calvert Lewin by the next round of friendlies, do you think he gets an England call up?

I don’t think it’s that simple, from what I’ve seen of both players which is limited viewing I must admit. It isn’t just about goal scoring but that is the hardest thing to do in football and Watkins is very good at it, he’s a fox in the box if you will, a bit of a throwback. Whereas, Calvert-Lewin is more of a battering ram, he takes no prisoners on the pitch but that’s not to say he doesn’t have natural ability. There is lots of competition for that England centre forwards with Ings, Abraham and Kane too, an embarrassment of riches

• Like 1

There's some talk that Wesley and Heaton will be back and playing this year. Which front 3 would you prefer:

Trez Watkins Grealish 

or

Watkins Wesley Grealish

I suppose I'm wondering if you would push Wakins out to the wing to accommodate Wesley or stick with Trez on the wing and use Wesley as a Watkins replacement? 

1 hour ago, Keyblade said:

A lot of non-Villa and Brentford fans are sleeping on Ollie. He's probably as complete of a striker money can buy for below 50m. I have no doubt whatsoever he'll smash double digits for goals if he stays fit. 

Yes, by 10 pm next Friday 

Edited by Follyfoot
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

for me the front 3 this season is: Grealish - Watkins - Traore.

Wesley can challenge Watkins & get some games off the bench to get up to speed (which will take a while - will prob be Feb/Mar before Wesley is fully up to speed).

If Watkins picks up niggles here and there, Wesley can come in, if we get some injuries out wide Watkins could move out wide and Wesley comes in up the middle, but tbh, i would try and keep the Watkins/Welsey competition central, will be good for both of them to push each other.

I agree with you, the front 3 should be Traore-Watkins-Grealish, it would be harsh to drop Trezeguet but I don’t think we can leave our new £17m signing (Traore) on the bench

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Osirus said:

Looks as though Wes Morgan will be starting on Sunday due to Leicester's injury situation 

Considering what Ollie did to Van Dijk and Gomez, I bet Morgan's sweating thinking about it 

Ollie ready to pounce like...

cat shaq GIF

• Haha 4

4 hours ago, TrentVilla said:

Would love him to get on the score sheet Sunday and then go on a little run of scoring.

A 35 game run of scoring would be great! 

I have high hopes for him and impressed with his attitude so far

2 hours ago, It's Your Round said:

I put a few quid each way on Watkins being top scorer this season, 40-1, but each way pays out top 4 places. I really believe he will score a lot of goals for us, maybe not enough for the golden boot but you never know. 

It’s a bit scary when Villa fans start talking about golden boots for Villa players. FWIW I think he has great potential, but.... we’ve been here so many times before! 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, TheMelvillan said:

Hypothetically, if he has scored more than Calvert Lewin by the next round of friendlies, do you think he gets an England call up?

Honestly I think it’s too soon for him. He’s played 3 top flight games. This season is about settling in with us. If a year from now he’s had a great debut season and started 2021/22 knocking in PL goals regularly then we can start making a case he should be in the 2022 WC squad. 

• Like 1

The big thing about watkins aside from his scoring ability is that 3 years ago he was one of the best wingers in the championship but he was playing a completely different style. From what I have seen so far Smith wants watkins to do a hybrid of what he did last season and back then for him. He wants him beating players, creating chances and attacking players in the wing but he also wants good hold up play and fox in the box ability and I think watkins can provide it all. 

Watkins is a bit of a machine. He outmuscled Van Dijk and outpaced Gomez. He is as durable as they come. Whilst I was a bit sceptical at first I think he is going to be a very good signing. And because of the type of player he is we don't have to do like for like subs when chasing games. We can take off trez and have watkins as a drifting striker as well. 

Â