Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

Last couple of games he has seemed to not compete very well for high balls played up to him. It might not be his forte, but he needs to make a better fist of competing for those balls, he has let defenders win it too easily.

Just now, poitier said:

Last couple of games he has seemed to not compete very well for high balls played up to him. It might not be his forte, but he needs to make a better fist of competing for those balls, he has let defenders win it too easily.

Or we could play to his strengths....

• Like 2

He's a good player. Miles better than Wesley. 

The problem tonight was that our praised midfield collapsed and shat themselves against a makeshift Leeds midfield concoction, thus Ollie was forced deep to come in contact with the ball. 

Jack, McGinn, Barkley, Luiz and Trez sucked. 

Edited by KenjiOgiwara
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, mykeyb said:

Or we could play to his strengths....

Indeed, but that isn't always going to be possible. As a CF you are going to have to hold your own when the ball is played up, even if you don't win it don't make it easy.

• Like 2

Didnt really send anything his way and he had to make the most of what he could latch onto. We have lessons to learn, one is being proficient at targeting Watkins and getting the balls in front of his feet.

Grealish needs to stop holding onto the ball to much, Trez also did the same, as I've said we should of shot enough times from all angles and put there keeper under fire that way.

I think we was onto something when everything we was sending Leeds way was being handled, you could see we was banging away at something but that soon stopped once second half came.

He’s a young player who has played just 5 games in the PL. He was great against Liverpool but largely inconsistent in other games. I thought he had some good moments tonight, others not so good. 

Like the rest of the team he isn’t going to be great every game. Winning the first four games has been great but it’s probably raised levels of expectation to something a little unrealistic. Add to that the fact is this season has been a very strange one results wise across the board. We’ve got 33 games to go and as a team our first target realistically should be to get another 28 points as quickly as possible. Equally Ollie has 3 goals from 5 league games, I think he and the team would be very happy if he got another 12. He’s got a lot to learn and so have we. You don’t build a team and shape a season in 5 games. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A blind man could see one obvious tactic tonight. They started their right back - Ayling - at left side centre back. He then switched to right side centre back. It was obvious that he was their replacement for Phillips in terms of pinging long passes to their wide players. 

Ayling was Watkins' man all game long. He should have been pressing him every time the ball went anywhere near him but, he didn't. 

All game he was only interested when we had the ball and that simply isn't good enough at Premier League level. He has to understand that he is first line of defence. 

41 minutes ago, poitier said:

Indeed, but that isn't always going to be possible. As a CF you are going to have to hold your own when the ball is played up, even if you don't win it don't make it easy.

Reminds me of bent vs mcleish

The guys around me in the lower holte going nuts about him being lazy because he wasn't competing in the air

By in the air I mean bent was the only villa player in the opponents half and he was getting 50 yard balls smashed in his general direction, I'm guessing the expectation was that he won the first header, then the 2nd ball, then beat the back 4 before slotting home... 

I'm not saying that's what we are now but it's not always a case of compete for every ball and win every header, if you have no team mate within 20m of you then you winning that header is usually futile 

Same as you can't chase and press everything when you're up top alone vs a back 4 and an energetic holding midfielder, it's futile 

The midfield has to be closer to him 

Edited by villa4europe

2 minutes ago, Villarocker said:

All game he was only interested when we had the ball and that simply isn't good enough at Premier League level. He has to understand that he is first line of defence.

I think you’re right and I think that’s a pretty common fault of a fairly young player making a big step up to the PL. I’m sure the coaches won’t have missed it and I believe he will take on board the criticism and work on it. He’ll have bad games as will the team, it’s how they react that’s important, we don’t want to spoil all the good work from the first 4 games by going on a losing run now. 

I got fully ridiculed in the match thread for saying he wasn't anything to fear and people didn't seem to get it.

He isn't a target man and won't dominate a CB for 90 minutes. He's brilliant at working off of others but without support and people running beyond him he can look a bit lost.

14 minutes ago, Rino8 said:

I got fully ridiculed in the match thread for saying he wasn't anything to fear and people didn't seem to get it.

He isn't a target man and won't dominate a CB for 90 minutes. He's brilliant at working off of others but without support and people running beyond him he can look a bit lost.

Yeah cos he's just scored a hat-trick v Liverpool who are a bit better than you.

There's a big gap between nothing to fear and a striker you would fear, Ollie fits in there nicely.

Â