Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

Just now, TRO said:

Football is a funny game, you never know......I will rejoice only when we get to 40 points.

If Leicester win with both of their first choice CB missing i will take my hat off to them.

If the injury rumours are true i think there is a good 70-80 % chance in us winning this.

1 minute ago, MaVilla said:

I get the impression he worked hard but didn't really get in to the game that much?

He was involved a lot in the second half. He didn't have too many touches in the first. We stepped up a level big time in the second half. 

• Thanks 1

Really struggled tonight, seemed to take a knock early on and then took ages to get running and pressing again like he has been, wonder if that affected him.

Got a little better in the second half but defo his worse showing personally this far, think he ended up with 7 touches total in the first half which must be a new PL record unfortunately.

Although, to add - he didn’t get much service.

Edited by bannedfromHandV

7 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Really struggled tonight, seemed to take a knock early on and then took ages to get running and pressing again like he has been, wonder if that affected him.

Got a little better in the second half but defo his worse showing personally this far, think he ended up with 7 touches total in the first half which must be a new PL record unfortunately.

Although, to add - he didn’t get much service.

I believe Ashley Westwood has and will likely forever have that record with four touches of a ball in a half Vs Ipswich away in a cup game in our relegation season.

4 touches, for a central midfielder😂

Thought Leicester did a good job neutralizing him out of the match. Scoring a hat trick against Liverpool will draw your attention to yourself tactically.

Good news for us is that Jack, SJM, Trez, and Ross are all also capable of scoring. It’s a bit of a “pick your poison” situation for opposing defenses.

39 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Hard match to judge him on. We didn't involve him all that much, nor did we give him a whole lot of chances. 

No but he put pressure on the centre-backs and got involved whenever he had space which wasn’t often

20 minutes ago, MNVillan said:

Thought Leicester did a good job neutralizing him out of the match. Scoring a hat trick against Liverpool will draw your attention to yourself tactically.

Good news for us is that Jack, SJM, Trez, and Ross are all also capable of scoring. It’s a bit of a “pick your poison” situation for opposing defenses.

This is a good point.  Although they did well marking ollie out the game it was hard for them to keep him barks and grealish quiet. 

As we have more quality its harder for opposition teams. Last season they just marked grealish out and when that happened we struggled.

• Thanks 1

You got to give the credit to Leicester. Sometimes you just got to praise the defence.

Very well drilled and coached side. That Fofana kid looked immensely impressive.

Ollie still pressed well and did the basics. He won't be coming up against quality defenders like that every week.

• Like 2

He still managed to find little pockets of space, just couldn't get the ball to him. Jack's counter with him on the left and Ross on the right, a better cross from Targett after Jack's backheel that would've found him unmarked at the far post for an easy header, etc. Will only become more effective as the team learns how and where to find him. 

Not a classic for Watkins. I thought he took up good positions but our crossing was really off last night, or Leicester did a good job of making it look off by defending so well anyway. Really hard to generate chances yesterday. Leicester will be up there again this season when Vardy is back fit. 

Ollie Watkins: Aston Villa striker's rapid rise from non-league to Premier League

When he was sweeping the floor of a non-league changing room, the prospect of scoring a perfect hat-trick against the Premier League champions would have felt like the stuff of fantasy for a teenage Ollie Watkins.

But the 24-year-old had never been one for giving up on turning dreams into reality.

Rejected at his first trial with a professional club, Watkins' rise to prominence is as impressive as it has been swift, becoming Aston Villa's club-record signing at £28m.

Nice little piece on Watkins on the BBC website. Missed that his idol is Henry, which may not be a bad comparison to be fair. Maybe a chant of the "Ollie Watkins, the English Henry" would be appreciated by him. 

Â