Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

He's been poor tonight. 1st half he did some really positive things, quick turns or stealing the ball, but then doesn't run direct at last man and try to beat him, it's like he doesn't quite have the self belief when he has to beat a man.

I think he does have it in his locker, but confidence is a big thing for a young striker, missing chances like that is not going to help

The only things I saw him do were stand around in the box looking sad that Grealish completely ignored him, then coming back to our own final third while we were in possession trying to pick the ball up.

It wasn't a great performance, but we didn't even give him scraps today, he may as well have stayed at home.

I think he’s been isolated tonight and another player who’s locked leggy at times, movement hasn’t always been the best (grealish 2nd half chance) but his work rate at times was great (grealish first half chance) just really inconsistent 

the chance at the end wasn’t a bad miss, not having that at all, low and hard across the keeper, done everything right he’s just clipped the outside of the post rather than the inside, it’s unlucky

Should really have scored near the end and Jack should have rolled it to him when he went on that mad run.  I'm sure he would have buried it.  I'm a little nervous about him but I'm sure he'll ultimately be OK. 

3 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

the chance at the end wasn’t a bad miss, not having that at all, low and hard across the keeper, done everything right he’s just clipped the outside of the post rather than the inside, it’s unlucky

Come on now, while it's not the end of the world lets be honest with ourselves. It was a very bad miss. Anyone else does the same they are rightly criticised

• Like 1

The problem we have is that he is going to be inconsistent at this stage of his career and when our only alternative is a young, injury prone non-scoring striker then we don't have the ability to change it up when it isn't happening for him. For all the good business we did in the summer, I still can't believe we went with Watkins and Davis until January.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, djdabush said:

The problem we have is that he is going to be inconsistent at this stage of his career and when our only alternative is a young, injury prone non-scoring striker then we don't have the ability to change it up when it isn't happening for him. For all the good business we did in the summer, I still can't believe we went with Watkins and Davis until January.

We took a risk. It may still work out if we keep getting goals from midfield too. If the goals from Jack, Ross etc dry up we’ll be in trouble and the finger will be pointed at the manager and board for going all in on a championship striker.

4 minutes ago, ramshackler said:

Come on now, while it's not the end of the world lets be honest with ourselves. It was a very bad miss. Anyone else does the same they are rightly criticised

Disagree

its a miss, nothing more, not bad or shocking or a sitter or anything, just a miss and what he was aiming for was spot on and good technique

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, AndyM3000 said:

Won so many headers and battles against Liverpool's CBs I thought he'd always be a good long ball outlet but got a bit bullied at times tonight, tough game but needs to do more.

Thought he pressed well in the first half

Couple of nice touches, couple of smelly ones.

Technique seems better the further away from goal he gets, maybe some nerves in there still.

Needs to get his arse into players like McGinn and hold the ball up better at the times when he's stationary getting the ball. Too many easy giveaways on those tonight.

Â