Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

Meanwhile over on the Brentford forum... the Banana has spoken overnight and it doesn’t sound hugely encouraging. Here’s the post:

These AVFC fans seem to sit on this forum. Still, it saves anyone registering on their forum.

Seems there's LOTS of interest in OW, from far bigger clubs than Aston Villa. 

Now I like Dean, a lot. Myself and  @Lokster had dinner with him back in the day (well worth reading for all you AVFC fans BTW), but I can't help but feel that they are not front-runners in this race. However you never know... and there is still plenty of time to run in this race. From what I can determine however, it ain't going to be over until very near the last day. Why else should we prevent clubs falling over each other to give us money?

One thing is all but certain: he's off.”

• Sad 1

I really hope we get Watkins, I think he'd be perfect for where we're at right now. I can understand Brentford wanting to squeeze as much cash out of a deal as possible, a bidding war always suits the seller. I just hope we go for it and get it done. I'm assuming that nana is talking about spuds, but would they be spending over £25m for back up to Kane? 

2 minutes ago, It's Your Round said:

I really hope we get Watkins, I think he'd be perfect for where we're at right now. I can understand Brentford wanting to squeeze as much cash out of a deal as possible, a bidding war always suits the seller. I just hope we go for it and get it done. I'm assuming that nana is talking about spuds, but would they be spending over £25m for back up to Kane? 

Spurs are rumoured to be interested. But if Watkins would prefer to go there for a few extra quid, just to sit on the bench, then good luck to him.

However, I get the impression he won't want to do that.

1 minute ago, jacketspuds said:

Spurs are rumoured to be interested. But if Watkins would prefer to go there for a few extra quid, just to sit on the bench, then good luck to him.

However, I get the impression he won't want to do that.

Few extra quid?  At Spurs!?

So that suggests that the problem is not us "dithering" about. It's a combo of Brentford encouraging a bidding war, and Watkins waiting to see what/who comes in? 🤦🏾‍♂️

Also, as a couple.of others have observed, this might be where the King interest has come from.

Frustrating.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN

21 minutes ago, The Moustache of Teale said:

Meanwhile over on the Brentford forum... the Banana has spoken overnight and it doesn’t sound hugely encouraging. Here’s the post:

These AVFC fans seem to sit on this forum. Still, it saves anyone registering on their forum.

Seems there's LOTS of interest in OW, from far bigger clubs than Aston Villa. 

Now I like Dean, a lot. Myself and  @Lokster had dinner with him back in the day (well worth reading for all you AVFC fans BTW), but I can't help but feel that they are not front-runners in this race. However you never know... and there is still plenty of time to run in this race. From what I can determine however, it ain't going to be over until very near the last day. Why else should we prevent clubs falling over each other to give us money?

One thing is all but certain: he's off.”

Far bigger clubs than Aston Villa, so he is going to one of five or six clubs in Europe then, narrows it down

• Haha 1

I would take what Banana has posted as where we are at the moment and that is nobody wants to pay what we are asking.Thats whether they are a big or small club (whatever that has to do with it).We are known for being very straightforward when dealing with transfers as you have experienced with Hogan Konsa and even Dean Smith.Obviously we are in difficult times financially and I expect we will have to drop our valuation.The fact that Benrahma and Watkins who were stand out players last season remain unsold tells its own story.Would love them both to stay as we don’t have to sell but what would be the point in keeping 2 unhappy players at the height of their value. 

• Like 1

That Banana post contains a lot of speculative phrases like 'seems' to be interest from other clubs and 'I can't help but feel that they are not front-runners in this race', and then again with 'from what I can determine'. Banana may be right as usual, but there's no definite, or supposedly definite 'ITK' information as to what's going on in that post.

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

Tbh regardless if Watkins likes Smith, if he can go to another club like Palace and get paid about 20 grand a week more, why wouldn't he just go there?

Because he could feel like he fits better in plans at Villa, it's not as simple as getting paid the most money a clubs offering and just go join. If a player feels they dont fit then that extra money offer could be a waste of time going for. 

Alot of factors come into play when signing for a club I'd imagine.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Brentfordnylons said:

I would take what Banana has posted as where we are at the moment and that is nobody wants to pay what we are asking.Thats whether they are a big or small club (whatever that has to do with it).We are known for being very straightforward when dealing with transfers as you have experienced with Hogan Konsa and even Dean Smith.Obviously we are in difficult times financially and I expect we will have to drop our valuation.The fact that Benrahma and Watkins who were stand out players last season remain unsold tells its own story.Would love them both to stay as we don’t have to sell but what would be the point in keeping 2 unhappy players at the height of their value. 

@OutByEaster? posted yesterday about Watkins maybe going down to the last day of the window. Fair enough if we actually end up with player, my concern would be we repeat the Phillips situation last summer, think it’s all set then the rug gets pulled out from under us.

We need a decent first choice striker this season and not sure the club will roll the dice again on a final day deal. Hopefully it won’t come to that. 

Edited by Awol
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Dave-R said:

Because he could feel like he fits better in plans at Villa, it's not as simple as getting paid the most money a clubs offering and just go join. If a player feels they dont fit then that extra money offer could be a waste of time going for. 

Alot of factors come into play when signing for a club I'd imagine.

Yes. How much I am going to get paid. And how much cut of it  my agent will be getting.

Joking aside if its just a small difference then yes I can see it. But if we are miles off due to our wage structure we are going to really struggle to recruit this season.

Edited by The Fun Factory

45 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

So that suggests that the problem is not us "dithering" about. It's a combo of Brentford encouraging a bidding war, and Watkins waiting to see what/who comes in? 🤦🏾‍♂️

Seems to be a pattern forming.

I wonder how many of our other targets are under the same umbrella!

• Like 1

Â