Summer Transfers Window 2020

sne

20 minutes ago, Villarocker said:

When will Giroud get a game at Chelsea? Way down the list now. He'd be a great addition for a couple of seasons and be a good target man. Maybe the wages would be the biggest stumbling block? 

Not the one I’d go for if we were in the market for a Chelsea striker 

23 minutes ago, Villarocker said:

When will Giroud get a game at Chelsea? Way down the list now. He'd be a great addition for a couple of seasons and be a good target man. Maybe the wages would be the biggest stumbling block? 

He will still get games there. Plus he isn’t moving outside London .. he loves the lifestyle. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, chappy said:

Not the one I’d go for if we were in the market for a Chelsea striker 

Me neither, I’d go for Werner. His scoring record is rubbish for Chelsea so we might get him on the cheap ;)

Failing that, I’d love Tammy back. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Made In Aston said:

Are you serious?! On post lockdown form Luiz was one of the top DMs in the league. Pre lockdown mcginn was one of the better box to box midfielders. So you really think a club who was fighting relegation last year would be able to attract anyone significantly better?! I doubt it. 

Yes. Before lockdown Luiz was arguably quite poor. McGinn just came back from a nasty injury and his form didn't pick up. Ignoring all that, even at peak form, they aren't well balanced to hold a midfield together on their own. You need more physical ability and legs for once. 

And you aren't getting the point here. I'm not saying it's likely we'll find someone much better than Luiz and McGinn. I'm saying those two together aren't a good pairing to hold our midfield together in the PL. We simply aren't good enough for that to work. In this league, with so many good teams we need a far more combative central midfield IMO. It's not like we need to replace them, we need an alternative or play Nakamba in a deeper role. 

What I disagree with the most is that a 4231 with Grealish as an AMC will work. I don't think it will. We need to play a 4321 with Grealish free roaming from the left. Then add a direct attacking player on the right. Someone in a different mould. 

Creating a good team is about balancing the strengths through out the team. That's also why I can't see Benrahma being a good idea on the left if we tend to keep Grealish as a creative outlet for instance. They both like to dwell on the ball and create. You need all parts of the engine to make it run. 

Stacking a bunch of playmakers together in the same team sounds all nice in theory, and probably something people love to do on football manager, but it's rarely a good idea in real life. 

Edited by KenjiOgiwara
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, rayk said:

@Villan4Life 

No matter how good Toney might turn out to be to pay £10m, even with add ons, for a League One ST is probably a step to far.

Im not saying he’s worse than Samatta, just the defending in League 1 is pretty shocking.

How much did we pay for Delph in 2009 ? 6 million or so for a 19 year old midfielder who had played a season of division 1 football ? 

6 million in 2009 is how much in todays market? 12 ? 18 ? Million.

12 hours ago, TRO said:

I was talking about a specific issue of bombarding smaller players at the back post, they score regularly doing this....Talking generally, Burnley may have lost to us, but over 38 games finished above us.

There is always exceptions to every rule, but i like taller players in key positions, they are usually better equipped to deal with dangerous aerial balls.....much danger, can come from balls in the air, smaller players have more difficulty with them and opponents like Burnley take advantage.

They did that is true, but IMO, Burnley have a fairly definite ceiling with the type of football that they play. About 10th place and the odd foray in to Europe is about as far as it will go as it was with Stoke and Bolton before them. And the real problem is the footballers that play that type of football with that type of effectiveness nowadays are few and far between and usually are restricted to the few clubs that play that style. Therefore it has its cycle of success, like Stoke had, like Bolton had, and then the team requires either a massive rebuild as the players are getting on a bit, or fans get impatient with watching that style for too long and the club try to reach the next level by changing their style. This again leads to massive disruption as the players there aren't suited to a more "expansive style".

There are a lot more battles on the ground than in the air these days so I feel dynamic players that can win these battles in order to dominate the majority of teams are more important than setting up to deal with a team like Burnley. I'm not saying the aerial battles aren't important just that a more balanced approach is required.

1 hour ago, Villarocker said:

That was one of the factors. January I believe? 

No thanks now though. Turns 34 soon.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Villarocker said:

He had no interest in joining in January

29 minutes ago, brummybloke said:

How much did we pay for Delph in 2009 ? 6 million or so for a 19 year old midfielder who had played a season of division 1 football ? 

I’m talking about League One, not the Championship. And I was specifically talking about the quality of defending in League Ome.

I don’t know but is £10m a record transfer for League One?

33 minutes ago, brummybloke said:

I think you’re right, there has been huge inflation of fees and wages over the years. However the general lack of real activity in the market, at the moment,  may indicate more caution in this window than has been seen previously. It could be a case of who blinks first, as it often is, but I think it will be a buyers market this window. Which in theory suits us. 

1 hour ago, guyavfc said:

Southampton in for McKennie.

I don’t know if I’d want us to sign him. The amount of people on here calling him Winston. Don’t know if I could take much of that 🤪

Just now, Zhan_Zhuang said:

So has pre-season started yet?

Three weeks until our first game and yet we are going to struggle once again to integrate players, just like last season.

I imagine we won't be alone in this problem due to the shorter summer shopping window not only applying to us. but yes, this is a frustrating fact.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

So has pre-season started yet?

Three weeks until our first game and yet we are going to struggle once again to integrate players, just like last season.

I think I read somewhere that the players are back training today. 

I agree we need to get players in but I don't see many signings here in the next 2 weeks. Players and clubs are willing to wait and there isn't much we can do about that. 

• Like 1