Summer Transfers Window 2020

sne

1 hour ago, Mjvilla said:

I don't agree with this. All clubs would love to do their business early. I couldn't tell you 1 club that wouldn't rather have every single player through the door in the first day. 

Just because we finished 17th makes us no different to any other club. Do you think Southampton are sat there thinking 'we don't need to do any business just yet as we avoided relegation comfortably'? Absolutely NOT. 

Quite often, it takes 1 move to start a whole host of moves. The fact no other club has made a move tells us alot about the transfer market post pandemic. It'll be a tougher market than most, and there will be a lot of poker faces going on. What we don't want to do is go in early and overpay. That would make little business sense. It's pretty common knowledge that transfer fees reduce the closer to the end as the selling club doesn't want the player and realises noone will pay the asking price. (although they rise even closer to the end as the buying clubs become desperate).

The idea that we are different to any other club in this league is wrong in my opinion. You've said ourself how brutal this league is. The transfer market is probably even more brutal. 

I agree with that in principle, but still think there is merit in paying a premium to get business done early, especially when the need is so great like it is with us and the lack of a proper striker or wingers. I’m not saying this applies to all targets, but definitely key ones. 

Yes, there are protracted sagas each window, but also consider that us making a sensible early bid for players that are knowingly available allows the selling club to then pursue their targets as well so there is incentive. Just need to be savvy and bid appropriately. 

For the sake of paying a premium, we get peace of mind that we start the season with a proper striker. Leave it late and end up with nothing and that premium looks tiny in comparison to the broader consequences. 

Smith often refers to a list of players that the club have compiled and I would think the player’s likely availability plays a role in his ranking on that list. I’d also opine that our need is much more acute than any other team in the league given where we finished last season (acknowledging that it is all relative).

Edited by Pimlico_Villa
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, Pimlico_Villa said:

I agree with that in principle, but still think there is merit in paying a premium to get business done early, especially when the need is so great like it is with us and the lack of a proper striker or wingers. I’m not saying this applies to all targets, but definitely key ones. 

Yes, there are protracted sagas each window, but also consider that us making a sensible early bid for players that are knowingly available allows the selling club to then pursue their targets as well so there is incentive. Just need to be savvy and bid appropriately. 

For the sake of paying a premium, we get peace of mind that we start the season with a proper striker. Leave it late and end up with nothing and that premium looks tiny in comparison to the broader consequences. 

Smith often refers to a list of players that the club have compiled and I would think the player’s likely availability plays a role in his ranking on that list. I’d also opine that our need is much more acute than any other team in the league given where we finished last season (acknowledging that it is all relative).

I see a lot of merit in this. The later you leave it in a window the more desperate and ‘panic’ purchases walk through the door.

Apologies if I’m wrong but did Samatta come in late during the window, I think he did I could be wrong but he smacks of nothing more than a panic buy and has since struggled immensely at this level.

As much as I want Jack to stay and really hope he does, all the uncertainty on whether he stays or goes makes it very difficult for us to plan too. I hope he let the board know of his decision early on so that we can plan. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Pimlico_Villa said:

I agree with this too, some signings are more difficult than others too so get the easier ones done early it builds momentum, sends out a signal to the players here and the harder ones we want to sign.

1 hour ago, StewieGriffin said:

Not sold on loaning Brewster. Liverpool insist on players playing in so many games or else there's a fine for the loaning club. That can get ****.

It also goes against our transfer policy, we aren’t interested in developing young players from other teams. 

2 hours ago, thabucks said:

Nicolas Gonzalez 22yo from Stuggart has been linked with Brighton and Leeds ST/LW Looks like a top player in the making (not just based on this shite obligatory YouTube video)... 

Both AC and Inter want him as do Dortmund Leeds & Brighton .... 

@thabucks......I genuinely admire the spirit but that YT video, all 6m25s is utterly remarkable.

I mean truly... never have I seen a video compilation where all the passages of play...and there must be 60 odd in this video have not either led to a goal or an assist.....and I’ve watched all 6m25s of it.

its like half of the clips are reserve games where he doesn’t do anything and the other half he receives a long ball, tries to control it, falls over and wins a free kick (which obviously wouldn’t happen in the Prem.....he’d just fall over).

Not a pop at you, just the video.

5 hours ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

You think we can survive in the PL with a central midfield of McGinn and Luiz ? I just can't see it. 

Are you serious?! On post lockdown form Luiz was one of the top DMs in the league. Pre lockdown mcginn was one of the better box to box midfielders. So you really think a club who was fighting relegation last year would be able to attract anyone significantly better?! I doubt it. 

1 hour ago, Mark_1989 said:

I see a lot of merit in this. The later you leave it in a window the more desperate and ‘panic’ purchases walk through the door.

Apologies if I’m wrong but did Samatta come in late during the window, I think he did I could be wrong but he smacks of nothing more than a panic buy and has since struggled immensely at this level.

As much as I want Jack to stay and really hope he does, all the uncertainty on whether he stays or goes makes it very difficult for us to plan too. I hope he let the board know of his decision early on so that we can plan. 

Mon made a perfect example of leaving it too late.......its like going to the meat market late, all the best meat is gone, only the cheap cuts are left.

1 hour ago, TRO said:

I agree in principle and no we don't want to overpay.

my point was we might be more sure of what we want by virtue of how we finished some other clubs might not be as clear and are just squad building......we need to first team build.

If you think that all PL clubs aren't sure of who they want (if they get them or not is another thing) by the end of the season, I think you are badly mistaken. The PL is brutal, all teams are looking to be ahead of the mark. If you're not, you will find yourself circling the drain.

We are not in a different position and have no advantage over any other team in the PL at all. And this is of no criticism to us or to the recruitment department, it's just football.

• Like 1

When  national teams go into tournaments they take a squad of 25  which more often than not is 

3 keepers

8 defenders

8 midfielders 

5 strikers

so our keepers, I don't know how long Heaton will be out, but we have 3 others. I don't know how highly they are rated, but at the most it should just be a loan, 

In defence we have Freddie, Elmo, Konsa options at RB. Mings, Konsa, Hause, Engels at CB. Targett, Taylor, Hause at LB. Making 8. I know we would like an upgrade on some, but it's one out before one in here. I'm hoping for about 11th to 15 th this season and I don't really think teams like Burnley Wet spam Brighton etc have much better options than us, Sure there maybe some better individuals, but if any of them are down to a third choice left back I doubt they would be as good as  Hause.

It's the Midfield which concerns me. We have numbers, but After Jack Luiz SJM and possibly Connor, the rest are not quite good enough yet. I haven't given up on any of them as it's their first season in the Prem. I like the Idea of Buendia as his weight of passing is excellent, I also like the Idea of both  Milot and Watkins as one adds speed and the other is no slouch. What either could do is play up front. With those 3 as options teams will not be able to put 3 men around Jack all the time. And sure the set up when we play plop May call for Nkamba and Hourihane instead of Buenida and Watkins, but when we play Brighton it'll be different.

Up front we have Wes, Samatta and Davies. 

I would not be happy if that was the only options. However I think the the Watkins Milot combination could really improve that. I'm also not sure how much you have to spend to get a top striker, There are only about 10 in the League and they are well over 100m. There are other teams spending a lot on a striker that's not working out Arse, Everton Newcastle. To find one that works is a big risk. I think the better money is spent on the Watkins Milot Buendia types so more players get to 8 or 9 goals, but also can be used in different positions depending on the opposition.

8 minutes ago, Made In Aston said:

Are you serious?! On post lockdown form Luiz was one of the top DMs in the league. Pre lockdown mcginn was one of the better box to box midfielders. So you really think a club who was fighting relegation last year would be able to attract anyone significantly better?! I doubt it. 

John mcGinn was struggling before his injury, it was mooted he had a thigh injury  of some sort......Luiz was playing well after lockdown......do you know which luiz we will see next season......we all hope it is the one since lockdown, but can we be sure.

its all iffy.....we need a robust and resilient midfielder going in to the new season.....amongst the crucial attackers we need.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

Reading this page - dearie me... Obviously it would be better to do business early. Obviously it would be better to get bodies in for a full pre-season. Obviously even if this means a small premium it's probably still worth it. 

Do you really think everyone in the club isn't trying to do this? They aren't not signing anyone just to get this thread to 600 pages. It is not a simple process. Spending £100+ million quid takes a bit more than watching YouTube highlights. 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, colhint said:

When  national teams go into tournaments they take a squad of 25  which more often than not is 

3 keepers

8 defenders

8 midfielders 

5 strikers

That adds up to 24! And, in any case, international sides take squads of 23 😉

I wouldn't focus solely on the positions in which we are low in numbers. We have a lot of defenders and goalkeepers on our books, but we had the 2nd worst defence in the league last season. We got a couple of late clean sheets against teams with nothing to play for, but I still think we need to sign some good defenders. Last season showed we're a pretty poor side at this level (very poor if you take Jack out), and so I'll be happy to see quality additions in any department. 

13 minutes ago, rubberman said:

Reading this page - dearie me... Obviously it would be better to do business early. Obviously it would be better to get bodies in for a full pre-season. Obviously even if this means a small premium it's probably still worth it. 

Do you really think everyone in the club isn't trying to do this? They aren't not signing anyone just to get this thread to 600 pages. It is not a simple process. Spending £100+ million quid takes a bit more than watching YouTube highlights. 

Some of us have seen enough windows......i think we know that really.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, TRO said:

John mcGinn was struggling before his injury, it was mooted he had a thigh injury  of some sort......Luiz was playing well after lockdown......do you know which luiz we will see next season......we all hope it is the one since lockdown, but can we be sure.

its all iffy.....we need a robust and resilient midfielder going in to the new season.....amongst the crucial attackers we need.

McGinn will be over that injury now and is pretty tenacious, as was post lockdown Luiz. They also have enough pace to cover the space and shut down opposition attacks. If the best versions of them turn up next season I think we will have a decent midfield. We would need an upgrade on Hourihane if Jack doesn't move back to the centre. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Mjvilla said:

If you think that all PL clubs aren't sure of who they want (if they get them or not is another thing) by the end of the season, I think you are badly mistaken. The PL is brutal, all teams are looking to be ahead of the mark. If you're not, you will find yourself circling the drain.

We are not in a different position and have no advantage over any other team in the PL at all. And this is of no criticism to us or to the recruitment department, it's just football.

I didn't say other clubs are unsure of what they want, I said their needs might not be so pressing....i think we are in a different position, we was one place above the drop, they wasn't.....no we don't have an advantage over any other team in the league, but we might like one.....and yes, they will be aware of all the complexities and we will move as fast as the club think necessary.

However, its a forum and we have fun speculating and sharing opinions.

31 minutes ago, Mjvilla said:

I didn't say other clubs are unsure of what they want, I said their needs might not be so pressing....i think we are in a different position, we was one place above the drop, they wasn't.....no we don't have an advantage over any other team in the league, but we might like one.....and yes, they will be aware of all the complexities and we will move as fast as the club think necessary.

However, its a forum and we have fun speculating and sharing opinions.

Oops duplication.

Edited by TRO