Summer Transfers Window 2020

sne

15 minutes ago, TreeVillan said:

Not sure if anyone else has replied yet. But you need to make an account first?

Yeah you need to make an account and there’ll be a little drop down menu on any of their news articles you can click and there’s an option to essentially block them. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

What's your view on our CB position. Is it Mings and Konsa to lose now? Or are we thinking we need to spunk heavily on a new partner to Mings?

Luiz and Konza made all the difference for last few games, they need to keep at that level or better, Konza in but need another right foot CB id Engels is done.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Mark_1989 said:

Maybe we are further down the line, but with the squad back together by the end of the week/early next week I’d like new players in from day 1 getting settled.

It may transpire that we announce some signings this week and I hope you are right. But I feel we need to get a move on.

The club will be trying to get players in as soon as practicable. Unfortunately it’s not that simple to get decent options realised.

Nicolas Gonzalez 22yo from Stuggart has been linked with Brighton and Leeds ST/LW Looks like a top player in the making (not just based on this shite obligatory YouTube video)... 

Both AC and Inter want him as do Dortmund Leeds & Brighton .... 

Edited by thabucks

2 hours ago, TRO said:

just the fact Southhampton are in for him.....they do pick up some decent buys.

Have a look through their recent transfers (let's say 5 years), more bad than good. You'll be surprised. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TRO said:

That maybe true, but equally, we have more interest than most in , not flirting with the quicksand again.....I would suspect the fact no one else has moved yet, enables us to get in first..." The early bird catches the worm" and all that.

I do get a tad frustrated when I hear references to other clubs, we have been followers for too long and we need to get on the front foot, not just on the pitch......Our once upon a time Finance Director Mark Ansell once described us a "selling club" another defeatist attitude, what a statement to fans or prospective recruits, even though it might have been true.

I understand that these things take time and patience is a virtue....but you can't blame fans getting anxious, their fingernails are only just recovering from last season.

I don't agree with this. All clubs would love to do their business early. I couldn't tell you 1 club that wouldn't rather have every single player through the door in the first day. 

Just because we finished 17th makes us no different to any other club. Do you think Southampton are sat there thinking 'we don't need to do any business just yet as we avoided relegation comfortably'? Absolutely NOT. 

Quite often, it takes 1 move to start a whole host of moves. The fact no other club has made a move tells us alot about the transfer market post pandemic. It'll be a tougher market than most, and there will be a lot of poker faces going on. What we don't want to do is go in early and overpay. That would make little business sense. It's pretty common knowledge that transfer fees reduce the closer to the end as the selling club doesn't want the player and realises noone will pay the asking price. (although they rise even closer to the end as the buying clubs become desperate).

The idea that we are different to any other club in this league is wrong in my opinion. You've said ourself how brutal this league is. The transfer market is probably even more brutal. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

Based on recent rumours:

Rashica to Villa and Luiz back to City.

You have to pick either both to be true or neither to be true, what do you go for?

Neither. I like a lot of the other wide options out there, not keen on trying to shuffle the central midfield more than we have to.

Edited by Houseoftomorrow

Brewster has looked really good whenever I've seen him for Swansea, scores all kinds of goals, think he can play anywhere across the front three as well. wish we could get him on loan with an option to buy.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

Based on recent rumours:

Rashica to Villa and Luiz back to City.

You have to pick either both to be true or neither to be true, what do you go for?

I would prefer to call BullSh!t on both if it meant we could keep Luiz.

Personally I think its media spinning storys again and theres alot to suggest why Luiz would be staying with us.

Edited by Dave-R

1 hour ago, TRO said:

I have never professed that, you have to have the skills too......but as they say a good big one will beat a good little one on most days.

Burnley are just one example of exploiting a small team, they are past masters......Pepe Himself has referenced his team are a tad too small....his words not mine.

Personally, I think it is more important than some folk are prepared to admit.

It is important and I know you never professed it. You did however mention in it another post that you would like him to be 6' 1''. I mean Hourihane is roughly that isn't he? But then you also have the example of Kante who is 5' 7'' and very rarely loses a 50-50 tussle. My point was balance is the key and just focusing on one attribute will not solve our issues there because you lose something else.

Referring to Burnley as past masters is a bit strong. They have the ability to spring a surprise every now and then but yet we played Burnley off the park on New Year's Day. If they were masters of their craft they wouldn't be losing to us.

2 hours ago, brommy said:

Whilst I doubt anyone could accurately claim Villa’s collective ability in defence is any better than mid-table, it was noticeable that the protection provided by an in form Luiz and (eventually) a near fully fit McGinn, our defence finally looked ‘okay’. After conceding the second highest in the 19/20 season, I didn’t think I’d be agreeing that defence might not be our top priority this window!

When we say defence....it depends if we mean the back four or the defensive capability of the whole team.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sparrow1988 said:

I'd actually stick with it as it is now. That is to say the formation, although I'm not averse to switching to 2 DMs for certain games - horses for courses and all that. We are not Man City that can impose our game on 95 percent of teams we face - that is hopefully one day the plan but right now we are not that.

I understand your desire for more physicality but I don't think pure height is the answer either. We need someone who wins the battles for the ball, has the pace and power to move up and down the field but also possesses the necessary skills moving forward. Something like signing a mid 90's Roy Keane (5' 10'' - don't know if that is tall enough for you) but hopefully we find that player when he's still at Forest because I feel the United version would be outside our price range.

No way is Roy Keane 5ft 10. His f**king head alone is 5ft. 

1 hour ago, Mjvilla said:

I don't agree with this. All clubs would love to do their business early. I couldn't tell you 1 club that wouldn't rather have every single player through the door in the first day. 

Just because we finished 17th makes us no different to any other club. Do you think Southampton are sat there thinking 'we don't need to do any business just yet as we avoided relegation comfortably'? Absolutely NOT. 

Quite often, it takes 1 move to start a whole host of moves. The fact no other club has made a move tells us alot about the transfer market post pandemic. It'll be a tougher market than most, and there will be a lot of poker faces going on. What we don't want to do is go in early and overpay. That would make little business sense. It's pretty common knowledge that transfer fees reduce the closer to the end as the selling club doesn't want the player and realises noone will pay the asking price. (although they rise even closer to the end as the buying clubs become desperate).

The idea that we are different to any other club in this league is wrong in my opinion. You've said ourself how brutal this league is. The transfer market is probably even more brutal. 

I agree in principle and no we don't want to overpay.

my point was we might be more sure of what we want by virtue of how we finished some other clubs might not be as clear and are just squad building......we need to first team build.

3 hours ago, Steero113 said:

Looking at the stats across Europe of the top DMF's under the age of 25, Marvellous has a much MUCH higher potential ceiling of ability than Santamaria btw.

Don't agree! Santamaria is a much, much better player than Nakamba.

I've seen both player's play.

Your quote "Looking at the stats across Europe of the top DMF's under the age of 25"

Marvellous was 26 in January. Santamaria was 25 in March.

Edited by Villan4Life
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Villan4Life said:

Don't agree! Santamaria is a much, much better player than Nakamba.

I've seen both player's play.

Your quote "Looking at the stats across Europe of the top DMF's under the age of 25"

Marvellous was 26 in January. Santamaria was 25 in March. :)

I'd love Santamaria at Villa. He's soooo good. If not him Doucoure would be an excellent alternative. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, sparrow1988 said:

It is important and I know you never professed it. You did however mention in it another post that you would like him to be 6' 1''. I mean Hourihane is roughly that isn't he? But then you also have the example of Kante who is 5' 7'' and very rarely loses a 50-50 tussle. My point was balance is the key and just focusing on one attribute will not solve our issues there because you lose something else.

Referring to Burnley as past masters is a bit strong. They have the ability to spring a surprise every now and then but yet we played Burnley off the park on New Year's Day. If they were masters of their craft they wouldn't be losing to us.

I was talking about a specific issue of bombarding smaller players at the back post, they score regularly doing this....Talking generally, Burnley may have lost to us, but over 38 games finished above us.

There is always exceptions to every rule, but i like taller players in key positions, they are usually better equipped to deal with dangerous aerial balls.....much danger, can come from balls in the air, smaller players have more difficulty with them and opponents like Burnley take advantage.