Mbwana ‘Ally’ Samatta

It's Your Round

29 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

I don't think he can get much worse than Samatta.

You gotta have the b**** to give talents a chance.

But if you never give them a chance you never know. Look at Greenwood, they may end up surprise you.

well samatta scored 2 goals for us this season. that's 2 more than davis. 2 more than vassilev. that's who will be on our bench if we sell him, so i'd argue you can very easily get worse

and man u played greenwood because they saw something in him in training. they saw him holding his own vs first team players and saw enough to give him a chance. it was well known that barry was training with the first team post lockdown (with mungo bridge and one or 2 others) and obviously was deemed not ready. so he's had a chance

8 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

well samatta scored 2 goals for us this season. that's 2 more than davis. 2 more than vassilev. that's who will be on our bench if we sell him, so i'd argue you can very easily get worse

and man u played greenwood because they saw something in him in training. they saw him holding his own vs first team players and saw enough to give him a chance. it was well known that barry was training with the first team post lockdown (with mungo bridge and one or 2 others) and obviously was deemed not ready. so he's had a chance

Samatta has played more minutes than Davis this season. Vassilev isn't a striker.

Samatta was absolutely shocking post lockdown. How can you justify Baston getting on the bench ahead of Barry? Baston wasn't even trusted considering he got zero minutes so what is the point having him on the bench?

12 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Samatta has played more minutes than Davis this season. Vassilev isn't a striker.

Samatta was absolutely shocking post lockdown. How can you justify Baston getting on the bench ahead of Barry? Baston wasn't even trusted considering he got zero minutes so what is the point having him on the bench?

i never justified baston. he's a stinker of a signing. we might as well have had one of the ladies on the bench as it was obvious that smith had no intention of bringing him on, so yes technically barry would've been better to have on the bench, but that's not to say he's good enough.

we're going to need to agree to disagree on this. if you think that selling ally is a good decision then you're mad. fortunately i'm confident that our management have zero intention of doing so. we don't have a queue of world class forwards queuing up to sign for us. we're in for a tough old summer trying to recruit attacking players good enough for this league and i'll be amazed if we manage to sign the quality and quantity we need; we wont be making the task harder by flogging a first team striker.

do i think we need better than him? yes. have i written him off though? no...let's leave it there

• Like 3

On 19/08/2020 at 10:16, villalad21 said:

Ask Dean Smith and the other coaches. Sheesh.

On 19/08/2020 at 10:05, tomav84 said:

Vassilev isn't a striker.

On 18/08/2020 at 09:13, villalad21 said:

He isn't good enough mate. He lacks fundamental abilities.

With Luiz you always saw the talent. He was always technically good, he just wasn't showing consistency.

I'm not seeing anything from Samatta suggesting he will improve. There's not much talent there

In fairness, you didn't see much in Dean Smith to suggest he could get Villa promoted from the Championship, so it's possible perhaps you've rushed to judgment here.

Players take a while to settle at a new club in a new league. One of Smith's strengths as a manager is he doesn't write players off - he always gives them a chance to prove themselves. I think Samatta will show some improvement. We also need to sign a better striker, but no reason to abandon all hope with Samatta just yet.

• Like 2

We need another striker or two without a doubt, but I wouldn't write Samatta off either. He's shown flashes of what he is capable of, but the system we played after the lockdown really didn't favour a lone striker, we could have had 1990s Dean Saunders in that system and would still not have scored.

Doesn't mean i think he is good, just withholding judgement, for now.

• Like 2

I’m pleased Samatta has scored in a preseason friendly, it counts for nothing but will do him some good no doubt. Him scoring is good for Villa and takes nothing away from our search for a new striker. Sorry for stating the obvious but there you go. 

• Like 1

I wouldn't put him on the scapheap already. He was poor post lockdown but with a decent pre season and another  couple of  strikers brought in I think he could be part of  the match day squad for another season.  He had clearly lost confidence was at least was still putting a shift in. I know that is a bare minimum for players who  are paid thousands a week, but plenty don't. If we actually had someone who could consistently put in a decent cross into the box, he would look a lot better. Our best crosser of the ball is a journeyman  full back who is often not even first choice.

Edited by The Fun Factory
  • Like 1

Â