Mbwana ‘Ally’ Samatta

It's Your Round

6 minutes ago, Enda said:

BS.

When we signed him he was going nearly 1-in-2, firing his club to the top of their league. Same club we got Benteke from.

Not saying it’s worked out for him at VP but saying he wouldn’t cut it at Barnsley or Rangers is ridiculous OTT nonsense. He was scoring against Liverpool in the CL less than a year ago.

That's a one off game, it happens. Davide Gualtieri scored against England, I wouldn't have up front.

The Belgian league is a place for a good young talent, but clearly if you're 27 and playing there you must be absolute toss.

The guy can't run, has no touch, no strikers instincts, was born offside, has no left foot (not just in a weaker foot sense but as in I have not seen him strike a ball once on his left side)

He has absolutely nothing to his game. Less than Hogan.

1 minute ago, rodders0223 said:

That's a one off game, it happens. Davide Gualtieri scored against England, I wouldn't have up front.

The Belgian league is a place for a good young talent, but clearly if you're 27 and playing there you must be absolute toss.

The guy can't run, has no touch, no strikers instincts, was born offside, has no left foot (not just in a weaker foot sense but as in I have not seen him strike a ball once on his left side)

Of our dud strikers I think Samatta is the most likely. I just feel there is more to him than we have seen so far.

• Like 1

With the signing of Watkins I'd look for getting our money back on him, he was a buy with not much time to buy signing.

If we can fetch another striker in, I'd let him go to be honest, Buy King, Sell Sama.

We have been terrible at supplying our strikers this past season. It would be a massive waste of time and resource if we shipped Wes or Samatta out after a very disrupted year. I think Davis should get a chance on loan but only to improve his value before he goes, even if he starts scoring, his trajectory is behind the club's. We will be lucky to sell Hogan so he will be off on loan at our expense.

I want to see Wes, Samatta, Watkins and whoever else we sign competing. I think we are likely to play at least two of the four in any game so we are going to need at least 4 forwards.

Edited by thunderball

Samatta really isn't as shit as some are saying in this thread. There's a reason he started plenty of the post-lockdown games. His work rate is good, his tactical discipline is good (despite the occasional offside issue, but I think that's him trying to make up for his lack of pace).

He's ideal 2nd or 3rd choice striker material. A good character who has found his level, and will likely be loyal to the club. I also think his confidence took a big knock as he struggled to adapt to the league. That goal against Man City was a thing of beauty, and if he finds form + confidence, I think we could see a few more of those.

Really unfair to write players off so quickly. It's not always obvious who's going to do well - lots of signings from overseas stink the place out and then settle in and become surprisingly useful.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Whilst he never looked like scoring post lockdown. I think he did show leadership skills, he helped lead the line and was encouraging the likes of Trez when to press. 
I think he’ll improve. Good enough to be a backup. We don’t want to sell and only have one senior striker again

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

What standard do you compare to? He can certainly run, he has a perfectly ok first touch, definitely has a strikers instinct, no more offside than others and an ok left foot. He looked promising before the lockdown, his goals against Man C and Liverpool goes against what you have said. It's very hard to judge players for their post lockdown form, how good was Jack until the last two games for example. For £8,5M, what would you expect? Would you compare him with Harry Kane who would be values at around £80M and that he would perform like him straight away? He has a really good goal scoring record from the Belgium league and it's far too early to write him off. Also, what I find surprising that so many ignores, is that it may take time for foreign players to come to their right in a new country. Let's see how he develops. The jury is still out on him. For £8,5M he can be a bargain, or just perform in par with what we paid for him. 

Most of all, he is a Villa player with a warm personality, he has showed very good attitude and tries his best, he deserves to be supported, not slated and certainly not be subject to all that unfounded bs. Save that for the players who step out of line.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Sulberto21 said:

The nastiness towards Samatta is tiresome. 

Especially considering he is a good player and played relatively well before the lockdown and scored goals.

He will do well, I expect him to have an Ayew-esque career. 

• Like 3

I don't like the idea of us investing in players and then shipping them out within a year. Signing a player, certainly a player from abroad who makes a big change in his life, is a commitment. We need to take care of them. It's about our reputation as a club and about long term thinking.

I loved what Nuno said when Adama Traore had a rough time at Wolves and there were rumours of them selling him. He said that they wouldn't sell him, they would take care of him and help him develop, and that they don't abandon their players. Now they have benefitted from that.

If we bring in another striker Samatta will probably be fourth choice when Wesley is back, I think his standing and reputation internationally and in his national team is too good for him to be fourth choice. So let's see during the next season how he develops and performs. If he is still fourth choice next summer, we could reconsider if we should keep him, but until then we should give him time and opportunities to adjust to the PL.

• Like 2

Playing a one striker system really made us easy to play against, Wes and Samatta both were utterly starved of supply.

I would love to know how many forward balls were played in front of Wes and Samatta for them to run onto.

Most of the time there would be a ball hoofed to them, that they would try desperately to hold up and even if they did, they would have to play it backwards as there would never be any one to play it to ahead of them. Or our build up play would be so slow that they would be completely outnumbered from crosses.

Obviously we sacrificed most of our remaining creativity in place of strong defensive play and organisation and it worked, but before that Samatta in particular looked a real threat, then I think he sort of gave up as he knew he wasn't going to get many if any chances to score.

But half a season and people are already righting him off... c'mon people we're better than this

Edited by VillanousOne
  • Like 3

13 minutes ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

Overly harsh comments on Samatta imho, the bloke has hardly been here six months.

Agree and the country went in to lockdown soon after his arrival. Needs to be given a chance. Slightly off topic looking at your avatar have you seen the new monkey on Netflix?

10 minutes ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

Overly harsh comments on Samatta imho, the bloke has hardly been here six months.

Under covid-19 in a newly promoted relegation fighting team with injuries to 3 kep players. 

I thought he looked good when he signed, but clearly got sucked into the black hole of no confidence at Villa Park. 

He might not be Tammy, but probably a bit OTT what's being said. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Follyfoot said:

Agree and the country went in to lockdown soon after his arrival. Needs to be given a chance. Slightly off topic looking at your avatar have you seen the new monkey on Netflix?

I am outta likes, but no not yet seen the new one! I will check it out on Netflix cheers for the heads up!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Under covid-19 in a newly promoted relegation fighting team with injuries to 3 kep players. 

I thought he looked good when he signed, but clearly got sucked into the black hole of no confidence at Villa Park. 

He might not be Tammy, but probably a bit OTT what's being said. 

It probably is but if a decent offer came in for him, we’d be silly not to look at it. He’s 28, he’s probably not good enough for this league and we could do with some money to put into a deal for King or someone like that. 

You've got to be ruthless in this division. If the staff don’t rate him, no point keeping him. 

1 hour ago, rodders0223 said:

Saying he has less to his game than Hogan is just laughable.

Â