Mbwana ‘Ally’ Samatta

It's Your Round

1 hour ago, TheStagMan said:

Yikes, just looked at the Rashica thread and it is on 99 pages as well.

So, this Samatta fella. Keep or sell?

*edit* Yay!

My work here is done.

Now you just need to edit that and say "sorry, double post". Question is, did Samatta get to 100 first?

Just on topic,  I'm still on the fence about this chap.  Looked promising pre lockdown, clearly something happened during it that made him lose a lot of his confidence, fitness, or sharpness (possibly all of the above and more). I will hold judgement for him until he's had a "proper" pre season, although does 4 weeks count as proper?

Hope he shows more of the prowess he was demonstrating in his first few games, and we'll at least have a viable scoring option from the bench if nothing else. 

27 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

Now you just need to edit that and say "sorry, double post". Question is, did Samatta get to 100 first?

Just on topic,  I'm still on the fence about this chap.  Looked promising pre lockdown, clearly something happened during it that made him lose a lot of his confidence, fitness, or sharpness (possibly all of the above and more). I will hold judgement for him until he's had a "proper" pre season, although does 4 weeks count as proper?

Hope he shows more of the prowess he was demonstrating in his first few games, and we'll at least have a viable scoring option from the bench if nothing else. 

Could of just looked much better than he actually is and his true self is now what were all seeing.

Thing is are we really that daft to risk putting him on the pitch knowing we could be putting ourselves at a man down in an unforgiving league, no one is that daft are they.

Maybe keep this coming season and give him some cup games early on and see if he can play better than he has been doing because you can't risk league games on him while he is how he is on field.

Wont get a look in if we sign a new striker and Wesley comes back he will be the forgotten man so we may as well if a decent offer comes in go ahead and sell.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MrBlack said:

This thread did get to 100 pages first (I went and checked the Rashica thread immediately after posting the above)

I would keep Samatta for another season as a backup striker to bring on and see if he develops. He was up against it last season and struggled, bit unfair to judge him entirely against that backdrop. Hopefully the pressure will be off him a bit this coming season and we will see what he brings to the party 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, TheStagMan said:

This thread did get to 100 pages first (I went and checked the Rashica thread immediately after posting the above)

I would keep Samatta for another season as a backup striker to bring on and see if he develops. He was up against it last season and struggled, bit unfair to judge him entirely against that backdrop. Hopefully the pressure will be off him a bit this coming season and we will see what he brings to the party 

Agreed: circumstances were really against him and we probably shouldn’t write him off entirely.

I don’t think the lockdown helped: firstly, the lack of bonding time with his new teammates (Wes benefitted immensely from this). Second, because post lockdown, the gap between midfield and attack became much larger. While getting Jack/Trez to tuck in while under pressure helped us with our defensive shape, I think Samatta became increasingly isolated up top (hence Davis performing better in that role).  

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, KevinRichardsonsMoustache said:

Agreed: circumstances were really against him and we probably shouldn’t write him off entirely.

I don’t think the lockdown helped: firstly, the lack of bonding time with his new teammates (Wes benefitted immensely from this). Second, because post lockdown, the gap between midfield and attack became much larger. While getting Jack/Trez to tuck in while under pressure helped us with our defensive shape, I think Samatta became increasingly isolated up top (hence Davis performing better in that role).  

Does this apply to Drinkwater and Baston too ?

• Haha 1

49 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Does this apply to Drinkwater and Baston too ?

different situations. neither would have had to relocate for a start. would've known the lingo. and baston was a just a bad signing, literally a desperation signing

9 hours ago, TheStagMan said:

i don't think selling ally is an option. presumably davis goes on loan, our only first team striker going into new season would be wesley. we already need probably 2 striker additions, which wont be easy. why make it 3? makes no sense

3 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

different situations. neither would have had to relocate for a start. would've known the lingo. and baston was a just a bad signing, literally a desperation signing

Can i ask what Samatta has done in Belgium to suggest to you he is a Premier League player? Was he prolific there?

Edited by villalad21

3 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Can i ask what Samatta has done in Belgium to suggest to you he is a Premier League player? Was he prolific there?

43 in 101 games is very decent. all i've said is that i haven't written him off. buying players is not as easy as football manager. i'm sure even you know that. we need 2 strikers currently, you're actually suggesting selling samatta meaning we will need to buy a 3rd. you'd the be the first one moaning when we line up with wesley up top on his own and vassilev on the bench because we have no one else

7 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

43 in 101 games is very decent. all i've said is that i haven't written him off. buying players is not as easy as football manager. i'm sure even you know that. we need 2 strikers currently, you're actually suggesting selling samatta meaning we will need to buy a 3rd. you'd the be the first one moaning when we line up with wesley up top on his own and vassilev on the bench because we have no one else

In a top league it's decent

Samatta was a panic signing and he is clearly not good enough

Edited by villalad21

2 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

so you'd sell him?

It doesn't really matter he isn't going to be sold unless we take a huge loss on the deal. We paid ~£8m for him in January and gave him a contract premier league wages so that means he isn't going anywhere. He'll be a decent squad player next season and doesn't seem like the type of player who will cause problems. 

• Like 1

Just now, villa89 said:

It doesn't really matter he isn't going to be sold unless we take a huge loss on the deal. We paid ~£8m for him in January and gave him a contract premier league wages so that means he isn't going anywhere. He'll be a decent squad player next season and doesn't seem like the type of player who will cause problems. 

What about that Barca kid we signed?

I think he can make the step up with the right coaching. 

4 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

What about that Barca kid we signed?

I think he can make the step up with the right coaching. 

based on what? the zero senior appearances? the fact that he's never even been on the bench? you reckon that he's ready to step up to premier league football?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, villa89 said:

i know that, just bickering with our resident troll here ;)

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

based on what? the zero senior appearances? the fact that he's never even been on the bench? you reckon that he's ready to step up to premier league football?

I don't think he can get much worse than Samatta.

You gotta have the b**** to give talents a chance.

But if you never give them a chance you never know. Look at Greenwood, they may end up surprise you.

4 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

I don't think he can get much worse than Samatta.

You gotta have the b**** to give talents a chance.

But if you never give them a chance you never know. Look at Greenwood, they may end up surprise you.

Man utd have a little more wiggle room than us to experiment with their youth during the season. However I agree that I'd like us to given Barry a punt during tournies this season to give him a chance.

5 minutes ago, osmark86 said:

Man utd have a little more wiggle room than us to experiment with their youth during the season. However I agree that I'd like us to given Barry a punt during tournies this season to give him a chance.

Not really.

They are expected to win titles. I think it's ballsy of them giving the youth a chance given the expectations of the club.

I'm not saying Barry should be a starter. Give him 10 minutes here and 15 minutes there to start with. But he isn't even making the bench, even when the bench is extended to 9 players. The fact that Baston make the bench ahead of him is outright disgusting. It's appalling.

Edited by villalad21

8 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Not really.

They are expected to win titles. I think it's ballsy of them giving the youth a chance given the expectations of the club.

I'm not saying Barry should be a starter. Give him 10 minutes here and 15 minutes there to start with. But he isn't even making the bench, even when the bench is extended to 9 players. The fact that Baston make the bench ahead of him is outright disgusting. It's appalling.

I suppose you're right. I would like us to give him a punt this season too, but I would try him out in tournaments prior to the regular season. Especially considering we're likely to be in the relegation mix at one point or another.

Â