Mbwana ‘Ally’ Samatta

It's Your Round

2 hours ago, bose said:

I think he showed pre-lockdown that he can get in good positions and is a goalscorer. Was poor post-lockdown, no doubt about that.

Still not uncommon for players to need 6 months at least to get used to the playing style in the best of circumstances, let alone in a stop-start, once in a lifetime situation we’ve seen ourselves in in the past few months.

I will give Samatta the benefit of the doubt, he seems a reserved guy to me and when he has had more time to acclimatise I’m sure we’ll see the best of him.

I think this is right. Last season alone he scored a diving header against Man City at Wembley, scored past Liverpool in the CL etc - but he was absolutely woeful after lockdown. Needs to show he can get back to that level.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

he will probably be the backup to the CF role at least until the new year.

Watkins seems to be first choice, and Wesley wont be back to 100% until new year prob, so i cant see us leaving ourselves short in the forward areas like we did last year.

he needs to stay around as part of the squad for me, so we can have Grealish, a new winger/IF, Trez and El Ghazi as the 4 competing wingers, then Watkins, Samatta and Davis as the strikers until Wes is fit again.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

The perfect example of why you pay over the odds for a Watkins and a Bowen.

8.5m we will never see again.

4 years left on his deal we will be paying to the end.

He would be out of his depth playing for Barnsley.

TBH, I'm not far off this opinion. And it's rare for me to agree with rodders.
He was a panic buy and it hasn't worked out. He just isn't ever going to be what we need, even if he improves his game. I'd get rid at the first opportunity. Same with Wesley (Tin hat on). 

personally i think some of you are writing him off too quickly.

At times he has looked decent, and with proper supply he might be a decent backup to Watkins, at least until Wes comes back.

Whether he will ever genuinely challenge for a first team spot now is one thing ofc, but i think he can be a decent squad player, especially if we improve our chance creation.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

personally i think some of you are writing him off too quickly.

At times he has looked decent, and with proper supply he might be a decent backup to Watkins, at least until Wes comes back.

Whether he will ever genuinely challenge for a first team spot now is one thing ofc, but i think he can be a decent squad player, especially if we improve our chance creation.

He was awful after lockdown - but before it I thought he looked quite reasonable.. Hope he gets a while longer.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, hippo said:

He was awful after lockdown - but before it I thought he looked quite reasonable.. Hope he gets a while longer.

yeah, i felt for him a bit (and any of our strikers last season tbh).

He didnt cover himself in glory after the shutdown, but he looked ok before, and as a team our chance creation was terrible most of the time, Wes also struggled early on and i think at least part of that is we didnt supply or support our striker properly a lot of the time, we left them isolated 90% of the time and created little for them to work with.

Im not saying he will settle in and make it here, but i also think we cant judge him right now, he needs a full season under his belt, or at least half of the upcoming season before we can make any proper judgements.

Hopefully if we can add some quality players out wide, add quality to the midfield and improve our chance creation and general support play up front, the strikers will look better just by the default of us not hanging them out to dry.

1 hour ago, rodders0223 said:

He wouldn't get a game for either of those sides.

BS.

When we signed him he was going nearly 1-in-2, firing his club to the top of their league. Same club we got Benteke from.

Not saying it’s worked out for him at VP but saying he wouldn’t cut it at Barnsley or Rangers is ridiculous OTT nonsense. He was scoring against Liverpool in the CL less than a year ago.

Â