Mbwana ‘Ally’ Samatta

It's Your Round

6 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

Will be lucky if he starts more than 5 games next year and if he does it means we have absolutely **** up in the window and are staring at relegation again.

Thanks Sama. Would like to see you played your part but you didnt. Woefully out of his depth.

Sometimes the hard facts hurts.

But you are absolutely spot on.

On 14/08/2020 at 10:41, KenjiOgiwara said:

He's a bit too old to improve drastically, but I thought he looked promising when he signed for us. Got to consider  that he needs a bit a time to settle in a new place, new culture, new team mates. Writing a player off after limited minutes during a 6 month period with covid is unwise. If he is useless by January I'd be inclined to agree it won't work out. 

Agree with this, he's being written off too quickly.

He'll never be a world beater, but I'd expect a fair bit of improvement from him as he settles and gets used to the pace of the league.

17 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

Agree with this, he's being written off too quickly.

He'll never be a world beater, but I'd expect a fair bit of improvement from him as he settles and gets used to the pace of the league.

He just doesnt fit in with our squad and his game play is weak and only reassures that. I wished everyone was wrong but they are not when they say he was a panic buy, we had to find someone and no homework was done on this guy it seems. I dont think he will play much if at all next season, we need much much better than him. Wesley wasnt brilliant but at least he was scoring here and there, putting in decent game time and managed to give it a go, where as Samatta failed to impress apart from his couple of goals.

Samatta just looks like he doesnt enjoy it in english football and he walks the game almost as much as Kodjia did for us and that's saying something. I hope we sell him but I dont think we will and who knows if we do keep him he may get better down the line but it's a very big may. Samatta has very bad heading to say everyone was saying that's the biggest part of his game, the amount of times Samatta has headed over this season is as bad as Ghazi missing his up close and personal unbelievable misses. Good job it isnt upto me because I'd sell both Ghazi and Samatta and quickly and find more adequate replacements who can do a better job.

Smith is annoying how he had other options than Samatta and Ghazi and he stuck by them like they were his favourite toys, like you couldnt prize them from his hands. Smith should of put youth on if we had nothing else of note because many times our players must of instantly felt like they were down to nine men on the pitch with there abysmal displays, I do hope this season is very much different and under impressing players get the chop for abit till they prove themselves better.

I think everyone has been more than fair in there criticism to some players and no player should be exempt from it if they have been poor. If players are being written off it's because they have done enough to get those views against them. I am open to Samatta proving us wrong, hope he does and turns it around and good luck to him. Samatta will have a heck of a job to do if we sign someone else, when Wesley comes back as well, unless those two gets injured I doubt Samatta will see any game time in our first eleven.

14 minutes ago, Dave-R said:

he walks the game almost as much as Kodjia did for us and that's saying something.

Really? Thought he put in some massive shifts at the end of the season. Agree the end product wasn't there, but can't fault his attitude.

• Like 3

IIRC, he looked good in four out of six games before lockdown. The whole team was awful against Soton and Leicester.

His ‘headed chances’ post lockdown were mostly from 12+ yards out with a defender or two on him. Think he missed a really good chance at Newcastle but others were half chances at best. He pressed well and led the line in the last few games which helped us stay up.

I think people are writing him off far too quickly and he will be a decent option to rotate with Wes and whoever we sign across a front three. He’s a good option to bring off the bench even if he doesn’t start - definitely a goal threat if you judge on his early performances. Not sure if Luiz’s post lockdown improvement is clouding an issue here... lots of them struggled when we came back, Samatta wasn’t the only one.

For me, he just has too many weaknesses and I doubt he'll improve much given time.

He's not overly physical, his first touch is inconsistent, he's not quick, his finishing leaves a bit to be desired and whilst he seems to have some awareness, being half decent at jumping and heading isn't enough in the Prem.

He's come in, worked hard in the games he's played and done a bit to keep up.

We need to drastically improve on him to be a threat.

My guess with Samatta is he’ll be at the club as 3/4th choice striker and if he doesn’t improve or make an impact when called upon, he’ll be loaned out during the January transfer window and sold in the summer.

he’s worth a full preseason with the team and the first half of the season to see if he can adapt and progress. If not, move him on.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, villalad21 said:

Improve? He is almost 28

I suppose ‘settle’ may be a better word to use? But I think after only 14 games there is probably some room to settle, get more used to the team, the league, the opponent... 

• Like 1

He isn't good enough mate. He lacks fundamental abilities.

With Luiz you always saw the talent. He was always technically good, he just wasn't showing consistency.

I'm not seeing anything from Samatta suggesting he will improve. There's not much talent there

• Like 1

I think people on here can be way too harsh sometimes. The guy looked okay before lock down, and then when we came back we played a lot deeper and more defensive and he was left up top on his own, he worked his socks off which was about as much as you could ask for. Yes, he missed a few chances, every striker does, to pretend otherwise is just silly.

Him and Wesley have both come from another country used to playing in a formation with a partner up top, neither are particularly experienced in playing as a lone front man, which is one of the most difficult roles to play, and it takes time for players to bed in, don't chuck players on the scrap heap after 6 months of playing in a new league in a new position, give them time. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

With Luiz you always saw the talent. He was always technically good, he just wasn't showing consistency.

I'm not seeing anything from Samatta suggesting he will improve. There's not much talent there

I agree that it’s likely he isn’t good enough, and I’m leaning more to the side of; it’s probably not going to work out. I think there is a chance that once he has a preseason with the team, gets to know everyone better (most of his time has been in lockdown)... I’m just saying I’m not writing him off just yet. But I do agree that I’m fairly sceptical from what I’ve seen already.

42 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

George Best said on Soccer Saturday that JPA was useless in his first season at VP and to be fair he was not far off the mark. The bloke has come in January then having to deal with a lockdown in a strange country, he has had no chance to settle. I will withhold judgement until then 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Follyfoot said:

George Best said on Soccer Saturday that JPA was useless in his first season at VP and to be fair he was not far off the mark. The bloke has come in January then having to deal with a lockdown in a strange country, he has had no chance to settle. I will withhold judgement until then 

Not to mention we went from a form of suicidal attacking play to very defensive after the lock down, I doubt any attacker in the league could have done much in the last games with us, having a lone striker made us very easy to defend against all season.

Always excuses for players who play poorly, you cant afford excuses and poor players in the premier league. You get punished for players not making the most of there position and if your best eleven are not pulling there weight on field your in for some losses.

look at how luiz improved once he got settled, learnt a bit more of the lingo etc. i can't believe how we've seen a player turn things around like luiz did that we don't think ally will. he put shifts in during lock down, i just think he needs someone up there with him. i've not written him off yet.

Â