Mbwana ‘Ally’ Samatta

It's Your Round

1 minute ago, tomav84 said:

look at how luiz improved once he got settled, learnt a bit more of the lingo etc. i can't believe how we've seen a player turn things around like luiz did that we don't think ally will. he put shifts in during lock down, i just think he needs someone up there with him. i've not written him off yet.

But Luiz had played at city and learnt his role and how to intercept from there which helped him massively. It was more like rust than ability with Luiz.

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, Dave-R said:

But Luiz had played at city and learnt his role and how to intercept from there which helped him massively. It was more like rust than ability with Luiz.

did luiz even have a training session with city? thought they shipped him out on loan as soon as they bought him

1 minute ago, Dave-R said:

As far as I can tell from transfer dates Luiz spent a total of 16 days with City not being on loan. Mostly in July so not sure how much of it would even be training. He might have only been to Manchester the once. Agreed he is a different level to Samatta but to be fair he is at a different level to most players we have, potentially at least.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, tomav84 said:

did luiz even have a training session with city? thought they shipped him out on loan as soon as they bought him

I'm sure I also read that he said he had learned a fair bit of the game from city while he was there. He must of done some training with them in his time there. Because city went for him in there usual pool of players it kind of stands out the quality does compared to who we went for in a panic buy in Samatta. when you try and put Samatta and Luiz side by side and say they both went through a quiet period to me that spells two very different reasons where one is rust and the other doesnt suit the premier. 

I am open for Samatta to prove us all wrong, it would be amazing if he was give a few games to see if we can notice  his game has upped or not.

The signing of Samatta showed real desperation, the huge issues in our analytics department and was basically a roll of the dice.

We managed to stay up despite this signing and appear to have fundamentally reviewed our approach to identifying players. His historical stats (see smarterscout) show that he was never good enough and will never be good enough for this league - no amount of application on his part or goodwill on ours will fix that unfortunately. He’s basically an average championship level striker.

Lets get most of our money back on him if we can and throw it into the Budget for the quality striker we need.

• Like 1

my point being, that the vast majority of luiz's time in this country has been spent with us. so many wrote him off throughout the season, me included. literally a small number indicated that there was a player in there somewhere but they were few and far between. i'm not expecting a come back akin to luiz, but i think it's unfair to write samatta off just yet. we weren't exactly creating a lot post lockdown. the focus, quite rightly, was plugging up the goals conceded.

Edited by tomav84
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

my point being, that the vast majority of luiz's time in this country has been spent with us. so many wrote him off throughout the season, me included. literally a small number indicated that there was a player in there somewhere but they were few and far between. i'm not expecting a come back akin to luiz, but i think it's unfair to write samatta off just yet. we weren't exactly creating a lot post lockdown. the focus, quite rightly, was plugging up the goals conceded.

And my point is with Luiz we could clearly see there was talent there. He has always shown he is technically good. I knew from the first time i saw Luiz play he would become good.

I don't see a player in Samatta.

Edited by villalad21
  • Like 3

18 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

And my point is with Luiz we could clearly see there was talent there. He has always shown he is technically good. I knew from the first time i saw Luiz play he would become good.

I agree.

You can say he's come in and not got lucky, but I see a guy who's first touch is 50/50, his decision making looks to be poor.  He can't bring others into play like Davis can and he's not very quick - he could get into goal scoring positions in the box and we might suddenly become great crossers into the area and he might go on a bit of a streak (Hogan anyone), but I've seen enough of his general play, his technical ability to think "he won't make it as a starter in a PL side". 

Like villalad21 said, Luiz made some very poor decisions (bournemouth), but you could tell he was a good player (great first touch out of trouble, calm on the ball, good range of passing, great shot outside the box) - it was all there to see.  

Unfortunately, I haven't seen that with Samatta - although I'd love to be proved wrong! 

1 hour ago, villalad21 said:

LOL...quite a change of tune

On 01/03/2020 at 22:06, villalad21 said:

Looks like a proper player in my honest opinion.

The Wesley signing is proving to be a disaster for the football club.

On 02/03/2020 at 10:02, villalad21 said:

It's not the goals.

It's the fact that he's making runs. Is in the box when we're crossing. You know actually doing striker stuff, something Wesley not been doing all season.

On 02/03/2020 at 09:34, villalad21 said:

Other clubs would have taken notice of him. Striker like that is a rare breed. I think he's a real gem.

Be hard to keep him if we get relegated i recon.

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

LOL...quite a change of tune

He did look alright in his first couple of games but literally any striker would considering how low the bar were during that time.

Opinions can develop over time when more evidence is presented.

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, TheStagMan said:

Bump bump. determined to get to 100 🙂

I saw the page count here and had the same thought.  How can a player we don't have get more attention than one we do that started most of our last 15 games. Does it say something about Samatta or more about Rashica? Or maybe more about VillaTalk than either.

3 hours ago, villalad21 said:

See I agree with you the talent was always obvious, but the Luiz thread is full of people who said he was garbage. Not underperforming - just bad. 

Here for the page count. 

I only refer to him as Samatta as Ally doesn’t sound right to me next to Samatta. He clearly also doesn’t like Mbwana to pick Ally as an alternative. 

I think he will be a useful squad player for us. I’m all for giving him next season to prove himself. 

3 hours ago, MrBlack said:

I saw the page count here and had the same thought.  How can a player we don't have get more attention than one we do that started most of our last 15 games. Does it say something about Samatta or more about Rashica? Or maybe more about VillaTalk than either.

Yup. Madness. 🙂

Â