Danny Drinkwater

StefanAVFC

I disagree with people saying this is a risk. If we're paying half his wages then a six month loan costs about £1.5m.

I don't imagine Drinkwater's going to set the world alight, but that is a sensible bit of business.

• Like 1

I'll see how he does on the pitch before I judge him but it's an interesting signing.

6 months loan deal, paying a percentage of his wages seems pretty risk free to me. The good thing is we don't need him as a starter. If he can make an impact from the bench he will have been good value. 

16 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

It's a 6 month loan.

At a high financial cost. About £2m in wages. I have zero hope that he won’t flop. He must be pissing himself laughing that someone else is dumb enough to employ him. As above, he’s a scumbag. 

28 minutes ago, Spoony said:

So we haven’t learnt anything from the past then.

Welcome Lescott/Richards/Agbonlahor/McCormack mk. 2

Yes, not to give them 4 year deals. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Spoony said:

At a high financial cost. About £2m in wages. I have zero hope that he won’t flop. He must be pissing himself laughing that someone else is dumb enough to employ him. As above, he’s a scumbag

Very underwhelming I agree but day one , come on have a bit more class

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Spoony said:

At a high financial cost. About £2m in wages. I have zero hope that he won’t flop. He must be pissing himself laughing that someone else is dumb enough to employ him. As above, he’s a scumbag. 

Not sure the financials of the deal have been shared?

IF it is £2m all in then its not a lot of money in today's PL market.

Welcome Danny. We don't currently have a central midfielder who has the calm head and nous to see a game out - hence all the games we have lost from winning positions. I'm sure Drinkwater has had to come up clutch a number of times in Leicesters survival and title winning years so, crucially, knows how to win.

That'll do me. And as for the stuff in his personal life, yes he did terrible things but lets not hold it against the guy the rest of his life. Surely we are better than that, no?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TheMelvillan said:

Welcome Danny. We don't currently have a central midfielder who has the calm head and nous to see a game out - hence all the games we have lost from winning positions. I'm sure Drinkwater has had to come up clutch a number of times in Leicesters survival and title winning years so, crucially, knows how to win.

That'll do me. And as for the stuff in his personal life, yes he did terrible things but lets not hold it against the guy the rest of his life. Surely we are better than that, no?

you'd hope so

This signing is a bit underwhelming to be honest...at least its not a 5 year deal.

However in all honesty who are we going to attract in our position of quiet desperation

Is our academy that bad that we have no younger "hungrier" players who could step up? I guess our situation is too risky to try untested players, but Drinkwater - a player who has not played competitive footy for ages....I am willing to give him a chance though. I am sure our professional footy people at Villa know what they are doing.

Those that put the Villa shirt on deserve our support, until their first misplaced pass then the vitriol begins !

Regards to all

Derek

4 hours ago, sne said:
  • £110.000/w salary that Chelsea demand be paid in full (according to them)
  • Not played regularly since he moved to Chelsea after the 16/17 season. 
  • A total of 25 games played since the summer of 2017
  • 149 minutes of football this season
  • Turning 30 in 2 months and been injured or unfit a lot this season
  • Huge questions about his attitude after fights in nightclubs and drunk driving. Last year that is.
  • Been released by one of our relegation rivals for some reason.

The drunk driving alone is enough for me to not want him anywhere near our club. Me heart just sunk when I read we were actually doing this.

Me too. I thought we had left this sort of player behind when we shifted McCormack at the start of the season. I see panic buy tbh.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, lexicon said:

Welcome Drinkeh. Hope he goes the Mings route and uses this as an opportunity to shine and get his career back on track. 

yes we were all very lukewarm to Mings signing on for us at first too. hope this can be a similar situation to that.

Â