Danny Drinkwater

StefanAVFC

I find the constant referencing of Lansbury and how Drinkwater is coming in as a better option, slightly odd. Lansbury is a dreadfully average footballer who has no place in the Premier League and I'm sure the club isn't signing Drinkwater to replace our 5th choice central midfielder. What would be the point?

Drinkwater needs to come in and displace either Luiz or Nakamba for us as a club to move forward. I'm sure he has been brought in with the intention of doing this. 
Signing a midfielder to replace a midfielder that doesn't play for us isn't a thing. 

• Like 3

At the end of the day we are getting a player who 2 years was signed for £35 million. Whether you think that fee was OTT or not there is no doubt that if he puts the effort in he can improve our midfield. It sounds like he's done his f**king around and wants to get his career on track so it could just be perfect timing for us. 

Edited by villanmac
  • Like 3

19 minutes ago, romavillan said:

Technically probably not, is he the sort of midfielder that we need? Probably yes, if we are going to play 3-4-3, one of the four to just do the dirty work, win the ball back and give it to the more creative midfielders/attacking midfielders will be just what the doctor ordered. He's not a spectacular signing but I think he'll help us find some attack/defense balance.

Is he a ball winner though?

2 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

Is he a ball winner though?

He wasn't at Leicester or Chelsea.

He has been resting a lot over the last couple of seasons thou so might be full of energy.

Sometimes when i'm bored at work I tend to write down my fav starting line up, with potential summer/Jan signings...

Did one today and adding Drinkwater in the middle just felt weird.  Let's hope we get the Leicester Drinkwater and he helps us in the middle

Welcome Danny. It’s in all our interests for him to give it his all. If not then I doubt he would get a nice big contract for the last big one (29y.o now right?). Danny; give it your all and it’ll be good for all concerned!

Edited by alreadyexists

It’s a gamble (aren’t all transfers) but he’s only on loan so fingers crossed he makes a positive impact at the club.

certainly an improvement on our second string and could turn out to be a real benefit to the first team if he applies himself.. 

• Like 2

This is the market Villa are in. If we want prem experience don't want to pay mega money we have to look at waifs and strays, footballers with baggage.

Historically we've done alright with the likes of Merson and McGrath and ronny johnson....but we've also been bummed by Micah Richards, Joe Cole etc.

The one thing that has annoyed me about this deal is a) we need a striker and 2) we can no longer take another chelsea player so Giroud is now out of the question.

Then there's the fact he couldn't get in a Burnley team featuring Ashley WEstwood. However if he had done we could of been celebrating Ashley Westwoods return.

Â