Danny Drinkwater

StefanAVFC

Good signing for Villa as a stop gap and probably better than whats available to Smith in the engine room at the moment. For the run in a midfield containing both McGinn and Drinkwater will be a lot better than most other relegation candidates will have.

Looks like Smith and Terry have gone over Jesus's head this time.

I don't remember too much of that Lecicester team that won the league. They just seemed to be a knock it long to Vardy counter attacking unit. Drinkwater never seemed to do a lot apart from the Steve Sidwell role.

If he's cover for McGinn he needs to appear really busy especially without the ball and needs to weigh in with a few worldies.

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, screwdriver said:

I don't remember too much of that Lecicester team that won the league. They just seemed to be a knock it long to Vardy counter attacking unit. Drinkwater never seemed to do a lot apart from the Steve Sidwell role.

Whose job do you think it was that knocked it to Vardy

• Like 2

He's come here on loan to play football if he were such a bad egg he would be happy to sit and do nothing at chelsea , like alot of out past players, Micah Richards and N’Zogbia ran their contracts out with us, Allan Hutton went on loan to mallorca and forrest .

I seem to remember a certain Paul McGrath came to us with well documented drinking problems having been written off.  That didn't turn out too bad!

Hopefully he's realised his error and wants to make the most of the few years he has left of his career.

Surely Terry would have got some character references?

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, terrytini said:

Could one of the whinging pain in the arses on here explain why, if he’s played so little ( one oft quoted concern) anyone can be so sure he’s now no good ( another oft quoted concern) ?

And that’s without even bothering to ask how so many appear to know how much we are paying for him ?

Honestly, I cant believe some of what I’ve read on this thread and that’s saying something.

I just hope this is another case of this strange concept of “ I can slate the arse off them on the internet as long as I either don’t attend games or don’t boo them if I go” and that at the games he gets time, patience, and support.

I think it's fairly normal to be a bit concerned with his lack of football and the off-field issues he is documented to have had.  Hopefully we've done our due diligence on him and I'm sure a good performance or two will ease a load of minds.  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

As far as I remember he is a completely different player to McGinn, just  a neat and tidy player who may have little motivation nowadays.

He is. He plays simple passes, keeps things ticking over with the occasional attempt at a killer ball. Don't think he's the most mobile. I've never been a huge fan of him if I'm honest, but never watched him under a microscope either. Hopefully he can surprise a few and contribute.

Edited by Tom13

2 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

I think it's fairly normal to be a bit concerned with his lack of football and the off-field issues he is documented to have had.  Hopefully we've done our due diligence on him and I'm sure a good performance or two will ease a load of minds.  

This will have been an absolute guarantee....DS sees due diligence on both the player and the character as a fundamental to all of his signings, e.g. MIngs. In fact the similarity to the Mings loan is clear; both PL players, both with lack of recent playing time following successful spells etc. I don't for one moment think that DS has taken this deal because there's no other option - lets trust Dean on this one. He will have done full analysis on the player and the person. Not the exciting player we are all waiting for but an experienced head, bit of physicality and know how could be vital in the run in. Prove the doubters wrong Danny.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, screwdriver said:

...or...you know...they all had a discussion and it was explained based on Smith's experience over the course of the season he was lacking experience, and maybe...you know...Jesus agreed.

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, sidcow said:

I seem to remember a certain Paul McGrath came to us with well documented drinking problems having been written off.  That didn't turn out too bad!

Hopefully he's realised his error and wants to make the most of the few years he has left of his career.

Surely Terry would have got some character references?

That’s a good point re Terry, assuming he had any influence in the decision making on this.

I watched most of Leicester’s games the season they won the league, and Drinkwater was a vital part of that setup. A crisp passer who keeps things ticking over, with a good engine and good positional sense. He can also pick out the occasional defence splitting pass.

Clearly any midfielder looks better when you put him next to Kante, but I’d still rate him above our current options, if he can find form quickly.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, eholm said:

This will have been an absolute guarantee....DS sees due diligence on both the player and the character as a fundamental to all of his signings, e.g. MIngs. In fact the similarity to the Mings loan is clear; both PL players, both with lack of recent playing time following successful spells etc. I don't for one moment think that DS has taken this deal because there's no other option - lets trust Dean on this one. He will have done full analysis on the player and the person. Not the exciting player we are all waiting for but an experienced head, bit of physicality and know how could be vital in the run in. Prove the doubters wrong Danny.

Well said. Also, given that we’ve done this deal very early in the window rather than looking at other midfield options and going in at the last minute and he can’t even play in the semi final, I think could indicate it was an easy decision for Smith and Co to make, so they must be happy with his mental state/conditioning.

• Like 2

The more I think about this move the more it makes sense.

Can see him linking up with Marvelous just as he did with that similar DM they had at Leicester and look how good he made him look, cant remember his name just now, I think he went to Chelsea too 😉

Â