Danny Drinkwater

StefanAVFC

8 minutes ago, useless said:

Don't know too much about his off field problems being talked about, but feel like there's a lot of ignorance of his footballing ability in this thread, at his best he's a very good player and would easily be one of our better players if he can get anywhere near to that level again.

He hasn't played regularly since the 2016-17. Hell of a long time to go without week in week out football (he's only had one bad injury in that timeframe) as you lose that rhythm and intensity. Certainly not something you can just get back by having 90 minutes v Man. City.

12 minutes ago, useless said:

Don't know too much about his off field problems being talked about, but feel like there's a lot of ignorance of his footballing ability in this thread, at his best he's a very good player and would easily be one of our better players if he can get anywhere near to that level again.

He has played about 10 games in 3 years though was back up to Westwood

• Thanks 1

Feels like a really lazy transfer. What happened to this great set up and scouting we allegedly have now for the much hailed long-term plan? 

1 minute ago, gwi1890 said:

The same Westwood who was out classed by Douglas Luiz?

I was gonna say. We bossed the midfield against them. Westwood is still an extremely average player.

Btw I wish the threshold for giving rep on here was higher. I run out easily.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

I was gonna say. We bossed the midfield against them. Westwood is still an extremely average player.

Btw I wish the threshold for giving rep on here was higher. I run out easily.

Second half, we bossed absolutely nothing. 

I think there is a bit of merit in the idea of signing a player in his mould, as for a side with players and a manager that are supposed to be able to play the ball out from the back we seem to be severely struggling with ball retention, while the likes of Brighton, Southampton etc etc are coming to Villa Park and generally looking far more calm and composed on the ball than us. When he's playing well this is something that Drinkwater can aid and in that sense I can see the logic behind it, but at absolute best I'll just withold judgement because there's too many other reasons to suggest this isn't the smartest idea.

Even in a footballing sense he's probably a bit too similar to Douglas Luiz to play in the same midfield as him (particularly if we're to be playing 3-4-3 with any regularity now), and on current form it's a no brainer who you'd have starting between the two. 

Very sceptical but let's hope he can hit the ground running, we need it.

9 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

If we are paying anywhere near 100% of his salary I would really start to question those in charge of recruitment and signing off on deals.

That's probably the worst business I think we have done in a long time. At least other donkey's we have signed have had a few offers and a bit of a bargaining position.

Most reports are saying we aren't paying anywhere near all of his wages. 

45 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Rules out a loan for the other Chelsea players that would have actually added to our squad

I’m assuming they asked about the others and the response wasn’t positive hence why we have Drinkwater

Westwood is ideal for Burnley small ground keeps it simple and safe his floaty corners work because they have 3 big leauge 2 like centre forwards up top , and be has a back 4 of thugs behind him to save his ass! 

He would instantly reclaim the scapegoat status at villa park

12 minutes ago, pacbuddies said:

From spending over £130million in the summer to loaning a convicted drunk driver. Our owners really mean business!

Did they pick him or the management, I’m guessing the management.

9 minutes ago, jim said:

Feels like a really lazy transfer. What happened to this great set up and scouting we allegedly have now for the much hailed long-term plan?

Its almost impossible to get a decent player to join a side with the real threat of relegation. We needed to do better business in the Summer. Now its a rescue mission.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, jim said:

We are fighting relegation and need some PL experience and the management thought this was the right way to go for the next 5 months.  I mean how many long term players did we bring in in the summer, don’t you think that is enough.  Sprinkle a bit of experience always helps.  Whether Drinkwater is that right experience is a different story.

If you see Drinkwater as a replacement for Lansbury, this doesn’t sound so bad.

He looks better in a footballing team, so I wouldn’t read too much into his time at Burnley.

My only concern would be whether his boozing is under control. To be honest, he’s in a position now where if he performs well he extends his PL career by 2 or 3 years, whereas if he fails he’ll struggle to get another gig at this level. If he has any brain cells at all, he should be motivated to put in a shift for the next few months.

• Like 1

Â