Danny Drinkwater

StefanAVFC

Given our midfield situation I'm personally in support of this signing. Beggars can't be choosers especially in January and we desperately need some steel in the middle of the park. Let's hope he delivers 🤞

1 minute ago, Zatman said:

Rules out a loan for the other Chelsea players that would have actually added to our squad

Yep hugely disappointed in that. Can't see us signing a Giroud or Bats full time this window, loan would've still been difficult but far more logical for both.

He was top class, before his move to Chelsea.This is a chance for him to get back to where he was. He needs games, we need someone to fill in for McGinn for a few months. We have had players that have liked a drink or three in the past, hopefully he has learned his lessons. If this happens, it might just work for him and for us. 🤞

• Like 3

Think Giroud will be off to Inter and Batshuayi will be off to Palace if Chelsea can get a new striker in so neither of them were likely to come here.

But Drinkwater seem like a alcohol soaked Yannic Bolasie type deal.

16 minutes ago, BG_Villa_Fan said:

Truly hideous.

Worst part is now I believe in the Murray, Hart, etc rumours as well.

That's a scary thought. I actually thought we got better players in on loan in the Championship - Abraham, El Ghazi, Tuanzebe. All young and exciting players. We're now a PL team with supposedly high ambition and are signing really nondescript names of players who were decent about 5 years ago (or in Murray's case, if the rumours are true, basically an ageing Championship player). Really, really bad transfer policy. It's not even like we're rooted to the bottom of the table - we're 17th and have a decent chance of staying up if the right quality comes in. I can't see why we couldn't attract someone like Batshuayi, especially if we offered him first team football.

I just think we have got off to a bad start with this signing. The fans need some sign that we're really serious about trying to stay up and signing a player who has played 13 games in the last three seasons is not the way to go about surviving. 

Edited by VillaFaninLondon
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

That's a scary thought. I actually thought we got better players in on loan in the Championship - Abraham, El Ghazi, Tuanzebe. All young and exciting players. We're now a PL team with supposedly high ambition and are signing really nondescript names of players who were decent about 5 years ago (or in Murray's case, basically an ageing Championship player). Really, really bad transfer policy. It's not even like we're rooted to the bottom of the table - we're 17th and have a decent chance of staying up if the right quality comes in. I can't see why we couldn't attract someone like Batshuayi, especially if we offered him first team football.

I just think we have got off to a bad start with this signing. The fans need some sign that we're really serious about trying to stay up and signing a player who has played 13 games in the last three seasons is not the way to go about surviving. 

Snodgrass was also a coup at the time imo considering he'd had a good season for Hull in the premier league.

• Like 1

If we are paying anywhere near 100% of his salary I would really start to question those in charge of recruitment and signing off on deals.

That's probably the worst business I think we have done in a long time. At least other donkey's we have signed have had a few offers and a bit of a bargaining position.

Don't know too much about his off field problems being talked about, but feel like there's a lot of ignorance of his footballing ability in this thread, at his best he's a very good player and would easily be one of our better players if he can get anywhere near to that level again.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Mr.Messy said:

Came in here hoping that the thread was missing a speculation tag. leaving disappointed. reminds me of the Sidwell signing. But if/when he puts on the shirt will have my support.

I was thinking the same. He was never good enough to be at Chelsea really, it was an odd move for them. We're not really going to get a Chelsea fringe player. Lots of red flags on this.

20 minutes ago, sne said:

Think Giroud will be off to Inter and Batshuayi will be off to Palace if Chelsea can get a new striker in so neither of them were likely to come here.

But Drinkwater seem like a alcohol soaked Yannic Bolasie type deal.

Giroud if wanted by Milan is going to go there , though with Lukaku I doubt he is going to get much game time ...Batshuayi will go Palace , he was awful at weekend so might not be much of a loss 

I suspect we are going to go abroad for a striker and try and Get Murrary so we have some Exp as an option

In his defence he wouldn’t be the first good player who moved to Chelsea and went downhill. The hope is he realises he’s drinking (water) in the last chance saloon and gets back to something like his Leicester form. We play completely differently to Burnley and so perhaps we can still get a tune out of him. It’s a short term stop gap and we’re in a tricky situation, no need for the screaming abdabs. We havent just blown the entire budget on Bosco Balaban!

• Like 1

Â