Danny Drinkwater

StefanAVFC

7 hours ago, villaglint said:

One of the all time (insert word) Villa debuts. 

Was that Lange who was responsible for that or was it the final nail in the coffin for Suso? 

DS pushed for the deal I'm afraid. Alternative from DOF was Steven N'zonzi.

Incredible when you read the last part of his interview saying even after 20 games for Reading he still didn't feel match sharp...and yet Dean just threw him in starting v Man. City (and just continued starting him in games for the next month afterwards. He started at home to Watford for instance and really only Luiz coming on changed that). Thank god for lockdown and that decision not being a big part of us getting relegated.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Year 1 so suso 

I'll defend him slightly... We did need a player of his ilk, we had a midfield of mcginn, Luiz and Nakamba, 3 debut PL seasons, we needed thst experience, we also needed someone with the intelligence to play closer to grealish and give him a simple 5 to 10 yard out ball 

So the need for an extra body was right, the idea of him was right... But how the **** did our scouts not spot that he was completely washed up? He was completely gone mentally and physically 

Suso wanted N'zonzi instead. Can't remember where he was at the time but he was apparently ready to sign but we dropped our interest once Drinkwater was signed. Then went to Rennes and helped them get in CL.

8 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

We should've avoided him like the plague given he went up to Burnley, barely played and then had drink issues off the pitch. Comes to us, plays terribly and loan gets terminated early for headbutting Jota in training.

Forgot about that, the Representative for Wellingborough certainly glossed over just why things didn't work for him

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Suso wanted N'zonzi instead. Can't remember where he was at the time but he was apparently ready to sign but we dropped our interest once Drinkwater was signed. Then went to Rennes and helped them get in CL.

Help is incredibly generous. He just joined and Covid hit and French league didn't return that season 

Rotten egg according ex team mates. Downed tools in Blackburn relegation battle 

I didnt read his interview because I wouldnt believe a word that comes out of his mouth. One of the worst footballers I have ever seen play for us, he looked like they pulled someone out of the crowd and put a jersey on him. 

Edited by villa89

Feel a weird mix of sympathy and also just... wow, this is a man who still doesn't really take any responsibility for his own actions. Fully believe he's had a tough time personally and professionally, but still doesn't seem to get that he's had a better career and more second chances than 99% of players out there.

Unquestionably one of our worst signings ever.

Hope he manages to turn it around, anyway... there's definitely a decent player in there.

Â