Danny Drinkwater

StefanAVFC

Burnley have potentially pulled a right Villa here.

Paid someone 100k a week to get to just about match fit. Then he's gone to a relegation rival on less money and could make an impact for them.

Not a signing I'd have made, but good luck Danny.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Delphinho123 said:

I find the constant referencing of Lansbury and how Drinkwater is coming in as a better option, slightly odd. Lansbury is a dreadfully average footballer who has no place in the Premier League and I'm sure the club isn't signing Drinkwater to replace our 5th choice central midfielder. What would be the point?

Drinkwater needs to come in and displace either Luiz or Nakamba for us as a club to move forward. I'm sure he has been brought in with the intention of doing this. 
Signing a midfielder to replace a midfielder that doesn't play for us isn't a thing. 

He literally does play for us though. He started against Sheffield Utd and Watford and regularly comes on as a sub.

The point people are making is that at the very worst this will be an improvement on Lansbury, so (wages aside - which mean nothing for half a season on loan) this can’t be a bad signing.

I cant believe the negative reaction to this.

Yes his rap sheet for off the field behaviour is pretty bad but **** me its a 6 month loan deal. A few years ago we would have signed him on a 4 year deal without a relegation pay cut.

If he plays well, shrewd move. If he doesnt, he wont play and will be carted back to Chelsea in May. It's a no lose situation.

• Like 2

We could do with a proven CM. He's not amazing but he's done it at this level and there's comparatively low risk to us in it.

Hopefully this frees up some more cash to bolster up front.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, R.Bear said:

I cant believe the negative reaction to this.

Yes his rap sheet for off the field behaviour is pretty bad but **** me its a 6 month loan deal. A few years ago we would have signed him on a 4 year deal without a relegation pay cut.

If he plays well, shrewd move. If he doesnt, he wont play and will be carted back to Chelsea in May. It's a no lose situation.

Really? Can't you? I thought you'd been on VT for a while? 

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

He literally does play for us though. He started against Sheffield Utd and Watford and regularly comes on as a sub.

The point people are making is that at the very worst this will be an improvement on Lansbury, so (wages aside - which mean nothing for half a season on loan) this can’t be a bad signing.

Tbh, we don't even know if he'd be an improvement on Lansbury yet. Its pretty much a complete gamble, a low cosy one, but a gamble non the less

Edited by Laughable Chimp

1 minute ago, Laughable Chimp said:

Tbh, we don't even know if he'd be an improvement on Lansbury yet. Its pretty much a complete gamble, a low cosy one, but a gamble non the less

Unless he has had a truly dramatic loss of fitness and ability, he will be an improvement on Lansbury, who is a mid-level Championship player at best.

Just now, KentVillan said:

Unless he has had a truly dramatic loss of fitness and ability, he will be an improvement on Lansbury, who is a mid-level Championship player at best.

I mean, look at his recent track record. A dramatic loss of fitness and ability isn't improbable at all.

Could one of the whinging pain in the arses on here explain why, if he’s played so little ( one oft quoted concern) anyone can be so sure he’s now no good ( another oft quoted concern) ?

And that’s without even bothering to ask how so many appear to know how much we are paying for him ?

Honestly, I cant believe some of what I’ve read on this thread and that’s saying something.

I just hope this is another case of this strange concept of “ I can slate the arse off them on the internet as long as I either don’t attend games or don’t boo them if I go” and that at the games he gets time, patience, and support.

Â