Danny Drinkwater

StefanAVFC

Just now, KentVillan said:

If you see Drinkwater as a replacement for Lansbury, this doesn’t sound so bad.

He looks better in a footballing team, so I wouldn’t read too much into his time at Burnley.

My only concern would be whether his boozing is under control. To be honest, he’s in a position now where if he performs well he extends his PL career by 2 or 3 years, whereas if he fails he’ll struggle to get another gig at this level. If he has any brain cells at all, he should be motivated to put in a shift for the next few months.

Except for the wages part.

Even if we only pay 50% he'll still be one of our highest earners.

here's hoping that he will be a good addition for us. I hope he sees this as a chance to revive his career and make a statement. yes, he seems a bit of a knob for drunk-driving, but we'll have to see. maybe he highly regrets it? 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Genie said:

Its almost impossible to get a decent player to join a side with the real threat of relegation. We needed to do better business in the Summer. Now its a rescue mission.

Exactly, people can whinge all they like but it's January and there will only be scraps available for a club in our position!

Hopefully Drinkwater will feel he has something to prove 🤞

Mings and Hause had played very little football when we signed them last January but both of those proved to be very good loan deals. Dyche has said that Drinkwater had done nothing wrong whilst at Burnley it's that he likes to stick with what he knows so it's hard for new signings to get into his teams, they have a few other players that they've signed who are in the same situation, Vydra and Gibson both come to mind.

4 minutes ago, LoughboroughLion said:

Is he better than Douglas Luiz or Lansbury? Doubt it 

Technically probably not, is he the sort of midfielder that we need? Probably yes, if we are going to play 3-4-3, one of the four to just do the dirty work, win the ball back and give it to the more creative midfielders/attacking midfielders will be just what the doctor ordered. He's not a spectacular signing but I think he'll help us find some attack/defense balance.

7 minutes ago, LoughboroughLion said:

Is he better than Douglas Luiz or Lansbury? Doubt it 

It's the experience though isn't it mate?

He might not be better than them long term, however RIGHT NOW?

Then again he is definitely more proven than Lansbury at a higher level.

https://www.lancs.live/sport/football/football-news/burnley-boss-sean-dyches-difficult-17352346

"He was close to starting on Saturday and we discussed it as a staff but I had to make a decision," said Dyche of Drinkwater.

"He is good around the place, his sharpness is nearly there.

"You can't get truly sharp without playing, as in real games, but he has certainly put enough energy and effort into performances into the reserve games. He is around the group and he knows the demands of it.

Sounds like his attitude and sharpness isn't as bad as feared, hopefully Danny takes his chance.

We could probably do with a good option in CM.

And that's about all I can say about this I think. Drinkwater had a period where he was genuinely a top half midfielder. Then he got his big move and basically retired.

Â