Danny Drinkwater

StefanAVFC

A gamble but not a massive surprise. After signing Nakamba and Luiz, while having Grealish and Mcginn we were never going out to be a long term CM player this window. I guess as loans go, this is a gamble with serious potential. Experience and proven quality, it's just now a case of wether he still has enough to have an impact for us. 

15 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

Definitely at a career rcrossroads. Either if finds a club which suits him and gives him a kick up the arse  to play for another 4-5 years, or he will just fade into obscurity while picking up the paychecks.

Very true and entirely up to Drinkwater as to whether he realises this. 

46 minutes ago, eholm said:

This will have been an absolute guarantee....DS sees due diligence on both the player and the character as a fundamental to all of his signings, e.g. MIngs. In fact the similarity to the Mings loan is clear; both PL players, both with lack of recent playing time following successful spells etc. I don't for one moment think that DS has taken this deal because there's no other option - lets trust Dean on this one. He will have done full analysis on the player and the person. Not the exciting player we are all waiting for but an experienced head, bit of physicality and know how could be vital in the run in. Prove the doubters wrong Danny.

Do we know this is a DS signing though? I think that's being taken heavily for granted here. And if its not, then there's no confirmation he's actually done his due diligence here as there are definitely some signings that he clearly didn't do his due diligence on(Cough Wesley cough). 

Edited by Laughable Chimp

Just seen this, and not gonna lie, my heart sank.

I'll cheer him when he's got the shirt on, if or when he gets on the pitch, but I have very little hope he'll be of benefit. Certainly has a point to prove, and not just in footballing terms. 

• Like 1

Even a drunk who can't get into Burnley's midfield can't be significantly less effective than some of our current midfield options. I'm hopeful that he will make a useful contribution, but not expecting too much.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Laughable Chimp said:

Do we know this is a DS signing though? I think that's being taken heavily for granted here. And if its not, then there's no confirmation he's actually done his due diligence here as there are definitely some signings that he clearly didn't do his due diligence on(Cough Wesley cough). 

We will never know 100% on any of the signings TBH if they are DS or JP initiated signings. For me, this one seems more likely to be a DS one. Irrespective, i'm pretty sure DS would not allow ANY signing if he had not been given the opportunity to check the player out; especially the player's character and attitude etc. He always speaks about how vital this is in regards to the team spirit and dressing room as well as the 'hunger' of the player. Not Wes's biggest fan but again I am very sure that DS saw enough of him both on and off the pitch to be sure he as a suitable signing; the proof in that pudding will have to wait, unfortunately, although no one can question Wes' integration into the squad etc.

1 hour ago, sidcow said:

I seem to remember a certain Paul McGrath came to us with well documented drinking problems having been written off.  That didn't turn out too bad!

Hopefully he's realised his error and wants to make the most of the few years he has left of his career.

Surely Terry would have got some character references?

McGrath of course. And Terry (whom I now love), did not come to us with an entirely unblemished record.

3 minutes ago, eholm said:

We will never know 100% on any of the signings TBH if they are DS or JP initiated signings. For me, this one seems more likely to be a DS one. Irrespective, i'm pretty sure DS would not allow ANY signing if he had not been given the opportunity to check the player out; especially the player's character and attitude etc. He always speaks about how vital this is in regards to the team spirit and dressing room as well as the 'hunger' of the player. Not Wes's biggest fan but again I am very sure that DS saw enough of him both on and off the pitch to be sure he as a suitable signing; the proof in that pudding will have to wait, unfortunately, although no one can question Wes' integration into the squad etc.

Sorry, whoever bought the load of rubbish we bought in the summer must have been drunker than Danny Drinkwhisky.....Sorry for the awful pun....PS only Heaton has been a real asset, still fingers crossed as ever, I'll drink to that ...oops, sorry again..

Regards,

ATB

SOVL.

It’s seems to me the emphasis on the new signings is -premier league experienced.

When I heard the news ,like someone said above my heart sank.Financially it’s fairly low risk and he could be the kind of player we can

bring on with 20 mins to go ,to hold onto a lead.Its the kind of player we don’t have.

We have signed players before who have had a lot of personal problems eg Merson and McGrath but proved to be brilliant signings so there is hope.

Â