Danny Drinkwater

StefanAVFC

3 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

He was part of the squad that somehow managed to stay up in the season before they won the league. So he knows what a relegation scrap feels like. 

Very good point.

I think he just needs to feel the love again so hopefully he can settle here and find form again. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

If he could play like he did for Leceister he wouldn't be playing for us. We have done this before wishing new signings can jump in a magic time machine.

When was the last time you watched him play? It was a stupid move to Chelsea, then he spirals out of control. 

Maybe he is the type who needs to play every week to flourish? 

I'm going to give him a chance myself. To prove my concerns wrong. 

• Like 3

We're light in midfield with McGinn out and Jack playing wide left so he has an opportunity to come in and win a spot in our midfield.  Hopefully he can get his career back on track for his sake and ours.

Edited by Hornso

2 hours ago, Dave-R said:

So is this a loan to buy deal or just loan??

I'd be stunned if we don't have an option with a pre-agreed fee after Mings. Not having one there cost us probably about £15m.

I would guess the one here is around £5m, Chelsea have no use for him at all.

2 hours ago, andym said:

And yet in the Glenn Whelan thread you are saying we could do with him back, a player that couldnt get in the Hearts side.

I have not mentioned Glen Whelan since he left so you're clearly mistaking me for someone else. 

Solid signing, I think as reasonable as we could achieve giving our position: PL experience at both relegation scrap and PL champions, combative, not over the hill, something to prove. Chelsea paid £35m only a couple of seasons ago.

20 hours ago, Paddywhack said:

Hmm, I really thought we'd seen the back of signings like this.

Why don't people rate him, the last i even thought about him, he was playing really well for Leicester's title run.

7 hours ago, PrimevalVillan said:

First Villa player you can meet at the pub after the match.

He'd be last in a very long queue for that particular accolade with Paul McGrath in the seat buying tequila shots for the rest of the room. 

I've never been his biggest fan.

I wouldn't expect anything too eye catching, because that is not his game, but what he does have is experience and we are desperate for some of that in the middle of the pitch, we've been so naive in that area so far this season, position wise we are all over the place at times, he has good awareness, keeps it simple, and most importantly knows how and when to keep the ball.

Whether this works out is really down to him, but there's an opportunity there for him to make a big difference for us.

From our point of view it's relatively low risk, and in truth beggars can't be choosers in the January market.

Are there better players out there with less baggage? Of course. Are we realistically going to sign them for big money this window when are in such desperate need in other areas? Nope.

We'll see how he goes, expectations seem pretty low which might work in his favour. 

Edited by Teale's 'tache
Typo
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, maqroll said:

Why don't people rate him, the last i even thought about him, he was playing really well for Leicester's title run.

The last you thought about him was 4 years ago. This is the problem 😉

• Like 2

Â