Danny Drinkwater

StefanAVFC

I don’t think he could have joined another team in the premier league where he would instantly become the best central midfielder available for selection. 

We are absolutely stacked in the central midfield position but not one of them is anywhere near good enough. 

Id be in the market for another if I was Smith. I might even be tempted to prioritise it over another winger. 

I didn't expect this would be our type of signing with his recent problems off the field and his age (though he's hardly over-the-hill!) however it could turn out to be a masterstroke getting him here.

Hopefully he has learnt from his mistakes and comes here with the motivation and desire to get his career back on track - if he does, he will strengthen our first eleven which is what we need to stay in this league.

The more I think about it, the more I think this could turn out to be another January masterstroke like Mings.

Only a couple of seasons ago, Drinkwater would have been a marquee signing for a newly promoted club, and he has a point to prove. He suits our style much better than he did Burnley’s, and I get the impression Smith has driven this one through, so he’ll have the manager’s backing.

If Drinkwater has any brain cells at all, he’ll know that he has to make a success of this move if he wants to enjoy another few years on big boy wages. Otherwise he’ll begin the slow tumble down the divisions.

• Like 1

I think the first 20 minutes has summed up the difference on the pitch of being "fit" and "matchfit."

Guy has started 5 premier league games since August 2017. He could hardly get a start at another bottom 6 club.

He'll be match sharp in April.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

I think the first 20 minutes has summed up the difference on the pitch of being "fit" and "matchfit."

Guy has started 5 premier league games since August 2017. He could hardly get a start at another bottom 6 club.

He'll be match sharp in April.

So, why did we get a player in who won't be useful to us until at least 3 months from now? 

Edited by Laughable Chimp

Â