Danny Drinkwater

StefanAVFC

13 hours ago, The Fun Factory said:

If he could play like he did for Leceister he wouldn't be playing for us. We have done this before wishing new signings can jump in a magic time machine.

Being given the opportunity to play, and play regularly, with the right players in a system that suits can make all the difference. 

He suited Leicester's counter attacking style and I think he'll also suit ours. I think he could be the missing link in our midfield and will balance out well with the players we're already have.

He has a good footballing brain and positioning,  can retain the ball well under pressure and doesn't keep the ball any longer than needed; more often than not providing good link up play and moving the ball forwards for quick transitions to move from defense to attack. I think he'll link up really well with Grealish and our 'wingers' and help us to retain the ball better and create chances. 

• Like 2

Bet he picks up a niggling injury early doors after not playing competitive football for so long ... For me personally the risk outweighed the reward and find it a tad baffling and reckon he will be this seasons Carroll, hope I’m wrong ( as I usually am lol) 

3 minutes ago, thabucks said:

Bet he picks up a niggling injury early doors after not playing competitive football for so long ... For me personally the risk outweighed the reward and find it a tad baffling and reckon he will be this seasons Carroll, hope I’m wrong ( as I usually am lol) 

I don’t get the Carroll comparisons. TC has never delivered on his supposed potential, whereas DD has several very high quality seasons of football under his belt.

It seems less far fetched for DD to rediscover something approaching that form than for TC to suddenly do something he’d never done before in his career.

(But I agree that there is a strong possibility that we’ve signed just another benchwarmer.)

Edited by KentVillan
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

This seems to fly in the face of everything that Smith and Purslow have said about the type of players we want. 

However, needs must, I suppose. 

Not really... you just need to understand what they've said in context. Our primary recruitment strategy is to buy younger players to develop, to bring in to the first team or sell on for profit, but that doesn't mean we can't supplement this with more experienced players for the short to medium term. In fact I'd suggest every team needs that balance and it's what we've been lacking this season.

• Like 4

Fret not fair gentlemen. Danny will soon be controlling the central midfield and we will all be calling him “The D Man”. He’ll be brilliant playing with the G Man and when he’s back fit the McG Man. We could sign the P Man and even the B Man. There’s a whole alphabet out there!  It’s all gonna be great! UTV!!!!!

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

Fret not fair gentlemen. Danny will soon be controlling the central midfield and we will all be calling him “The D Man”. He’ll be brilliant playing with the G Man and when he’s back fit the McG Man. We could sign the P Man and even the B Man. There’s a whole alphabet out there!  It’s all gonna be great! UTV!!!!!

The McG Man will be match fit and ready before The D Man 😂

• Haha 1

Ooops. 

Just saw a notification on my phone with the words "Drinkwater hunger" 

My brain initially processed this as "Drinkwater hungover" 

Unfortunate choice of words. 

Edited by sidcow

3 hours ago, smokingzen said:

Not really... you just need to understand what they've said in context. Our primary recruitment strategy is to buy younger players to develop, to bring in to the first team or sell on for profit, but that doesn't mean we can't supplement this with more experienced players for the short to medium term. In fact I'd suggest every team needs that balance and it's what we've been lacking this season.

I wasn't so much thinking of his age/experience/wages as his off-field behaviour. 

3 hours ago, DaveAV1 said:

We'll exceed the 25 man quota in this case.

• Haha 2

Â