Douglas Luiz

LondonLax

1 hour ago, AV82 said:

Let's not get ahead of ourselves, he was rightfully dropped but took advantage of his chance off the bench.

I hope he starts our next game and shows more consistency because he has bags of talent.

Totally agree with this. It's reactive and hindsight when people pop up after the event ( his assist ) and say he should of started. He rightfully didn't start. He is a talent but loads to work on. People saying he isn't a DM is just a cop out, you have a duty to work whatever position you play in. His work rate and intensity is poor, right now .

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Danishlad said:

Hmmn, everyone getting excited because of one pass. He needs to play at a higher tempo with the ball and close down the opposition much quicker when defending. At the moment he is playing below Premier league quality football imo.

The same way pundits media etc jizz themselves when de bruyne etc make one pass. The kid yes kid will be a top player. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, omariqy said:

I've always said that Luiz is better in a 2 and as the box to box player. He's got too much quality going forward to just sit and he isn't aware enough to sit and play the double pivot role. 

Agree 100%

12 minutes ago, omariqy said:

I've always said that Luiz is better in a 2 and as the box to box player. He's got too much quality going forward to just sit and he isn't aware enough to sit and play the double pivot role. 

from what i have seen i agree, he doesnt seem more of a B2B player, he's definitely not a sitter/pure DM, he needs a DM beside him so he can roam i think.

i think having Nakamba and McGinn (when fit) with him in a central 3 would be ideal. (or nakamba/luiz where mcginn or grealish are in the number 10 role ahead)

Edited by MaVilla

Reminds me of the excellent Chelsea cameo, what a **** pass.

This has to be the standard Doug. Keep your head on the swivel, be aware and quicken your game and you're there!

A dirty bastard next to him would help him a lot, it's absolutely made for more disciplined John McGinn which is a shame.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, pintpotvilla said:

He would be a different player if we had someone like Nzonzi behind him

So if he was beside Nzonzi he would be more brave on the ball , work harder and not turn his arse into tackles ?

30 minutes ago, Johnnyp said:

So if he was beside Nzonzi he would be more brave on the ball , work harder and not turn his arse into tackles ?

I would assume the point being made was that Nzonzi would do more of that freeing him up to do more of what he’s good at.

He still needs to work harder at the things he’s not good at. Hopefully he will, as he’s only 21.

Those points are not mutually exclusive.

• Like 3

I think one move at the beginning of his Aston Villa career personified Luiz's current disposition quite well.

That through the legs dummy that he pulled at the top of the box that we defend, was sheer naivety and cost us a goal.

On the other hand, it's that kind of trickery and (if it had been our attacking end) ingenuity, that results in moments of glory.

I've been shot down on here for going over why Man City had every intention of bedding him in this season, I'm not sure if anyone bothered to check my sources.

I couldn't be arsed repeating myself on that one, but I'll say this, we have a player who was going to join Foden, Sane, Gabriel Jesus etc as the next generation of superstars.

He's Brazil's U23 captain. If we don't want him then who do we want?

Edited by A'Villan
  • Like 3

21 minutes ago, A'Villan said:

I think one move at the beginning of his Aston Villa career personified Luiz's current disposition quite well.

That through the legs dummy that he pulled at the top of the box that we defend, was sheer naivety and cost us a goal.

On the other hand, it's that kind of trickery and (if it had been our attacking end) ingenuity, that results in moments of glory.

I've been shot down on here for going over why Man City had every intention of bedding him in this season, I'm not sure if anyone bothered to check my sources.

I couldn't be arsed repeating myself on that one, but I'll say this, we have a player who was going to join Foden, Sane, Gabriel Jesus etc as the next generation of superstars.

He's Brazil's U23 captain. If we don't want him then who do we want?

People who think he hasn’t got talent are obviously wrong, and I rate him, but to your points there I would just say him developing in the City team playing the same amount of minutes Foden is getting would be very different to him playing every game for us. Same as a kid might be the best Formula 3 driver in the world and set for the top of F1 and sitting in the Ferrari pipeline but that doesn’t mean he’d do well going straight into F1 for a team at the back of the grid.

I do like seeing us give young players a shot so I’m supportive of it but I can see the argument someone else might make for wanting someone with less potential but more experience in a relegation scrap season.

My thoughts on Luiz are similar to that of Nakamba. I mentioned before that Nakamba gets criticised for his passing, in that most of his passes are intercepted. The reason being - nobody moves to get the ball, and if they do they are being crowded out by the opposition who press. 

Luiz is talented, but when he is operating in a midfield where the other players are not moving, it makes it awfully difficult. 

Smith has tried to rectify the midfield issues by playing both Nakamba and Luiz on occasions, both of which can win the ball and play it, but they are almost the same player - so it doesn’t work. 

Luiz is a DM (in my mind), I don’t think he is an AM, despite having a great shot and being responsible for some of the most dangerous through balls that I have seen this season. 

So whilst we have very limited options in the middle of the park, we are going to struggle. Drinkwater might help remedy some of the pass and move issues, however I don’t think his head is in the right place and I question his fitness. I’d give him a couple more games to find out though. 

I really like Luiz, I think he can offer us an awful lot, he just needs the right players around him. We really do lack ‘talent’ in so many areas, and I think he sees that as well.  

Edited by Tayls
  • Like 1

Â