Douglas Luiz

LondonLax

His awareness in the centre of the park at times is extremely poor. It was his poor header back to Mings which really, should have seen Mings sent off as a result of a handball, Luiz just was not aware of the run a Watford player was making who read the header. He has lost the ball in the centre of the park on several occasions again due to a lack of awareness and it has cost us before.

For me this is his biggest weakness, the good news is that it should be straight forward to improve. There's certainly talent there but he's not quite ready to be a regular starter at this level IMO.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, wilko154 said:

Don't shoot the messenger but he shouldn't be starting games yet.

No doubt about it he's a talent and he's changed two games from the bench.

Starting, he looks weak and complacent sat in front of the back two. He makes mistakes and has cost us in games.

Off the bench he looks fresh, dangerous and determined to create something for the team. Last two games he has been a joy to watch and he will become an incredible midfielder.

He's only 21, he's improving but right now he's benefiting the team coming on for 20-30 minute cameos and long may it continue!

I've been a big advocate for him since he signed and get frustrated when he hasn't started, but there's no denying the impact he's having coming on later in the game Vs being a starter.  Drinkwater having his best half so far with us yesterday probably helped, but even so there's an obvious gear change in our play when Luiz appears. 

By next season I hope he will be an obvious first XI choice and with a few more quality midfield additions in the summer (need Leeds to fail so we can grab Philips) he could be a key player. 

No doubting his desire and ability, but maturing his awareness and growing him into the role I think he can play for us may take the rest of the season.    

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tom13 said:

I think it's just a Connor McGregor walk.

Showed to my MMA fan mate from Wigan and he got really offended by the Conor reference. It's borrowed by Conor off Royce Gracie apparently.... a Brazilian

Edited by Kiwivillan

21 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

He’s not a DM is he? Needs to find and stick to his position, a great prospect with genuine quality. He will only get better.

He could be in a team that keeps possesion and with better players, hes not your typical kante, Fernandinho more gundogan type, he will develop into great player all great DM’s are all rounders the ability to dribble and start attacks are as big an asset as defending and breaking plays up  hopefully he can develop that side of his game

Edited by gwi1890

2 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

Showed to my MMA fan mate from Wigan and he got really offended by the Conor reference. It's borrowed by Conor off Royce Gracie apparently.... a Brazilian

Pretty sure Conor McGregor has stated he copied the walk from Vince McMahon

His changed the the last two matches after coming on with a sublime pass and a solid finish, but in the match yesterday we kept possession better when Drinkwater was on. He needs to improve his decision making and concentration in order to excel in his position.

I think Drinkwater was brought in partly for Luiz' benefit. As they are similar players (deep lying playmakers). Drinkwater is a good example to learn from for Luiz. 

4 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

His awareness in the centre of the park at times is extremely poor. It was his poor header back to Mings which really, should have seen Mings sent off as a result of a handball, Luiz just was not aware of the run a Watford player was making who read the header. He has lost the ball in the centre of the park on several occasions again due to a lack of awareness and it has cost us before.

For me this is his biggest weakness, the good news is that it should be straight forward to improve. There's certainly talent there but he's not quite ready to be a regular starter at this level IMO.

I wonder if he would suit the roaming number 10 role like grealish.

As in play grealish and Luiz behind samatta so Luiz can roam around, then have drinkwater and  Nakamba as the central two.

1 hour ago, MaVilla said:

I wonder if he would suit the roaming number 10 role like grealish.

As in play grealish and Luiz behind samatta so Luiz can roam around, then have drinkwater and  Nakamba as the central two.

Luiz is not a 10 at all IMO.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

It was a smart finish by Luiz as well.

Deliberately roofed it. He had players in front of him and a diving keeper. if he doesn't put it high, it probably wouldn't go in.

He really needed a goal too. Was his last one at Norwich?

2 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Pretty sure Conor McGregor has stated he copied the walk from Vince McMahon

yep, called the billionaire strut or something daft, I always thought it was linked to McMahon and McGregor making silly money compared to other fighters

3 hours ago, Tom13 said:

Luiz is not a 10 at all IMO.

He is an interesting player thats for sure. Agree we need to find his position or build a position around him. He seems a very flexible player though.

Like McGinn or Grealish I am not fussed where in midfield he plays I just like to see him play, he just ooozes quality and work rate just like them. He has more mistakes in him sure but he is only 21 and this is his first season. 

Cracking signing. 

• Like 1

Â