Douglas Luiz

LondonLax

7 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

He's not a scapegoat.

There's definitely a player in there. I still think he'll turn out to be a very good player.

But last night he was absolutely shit. That's not making him a scapegoat. He was crap.

Was he crap or did he do alright, but made a massive mistake and people overreact? Genuine question. 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Londonastonvilla said:

We have to be careful who we critcise in games,is it the player who shows for the ball and makes a mistake or is it the player who avoids taking a pass in a difficult position.

He made a big error today and didn’t have a great game.I remember Mings getting a lot of criticism before his injury for mistakes for overplaying in dangerous positions.The reason was he was the only player taking the responsibility trying to avoid just hoofing it .

We need players to have courage on the ball and accept that it can go wrong and lead to a goal.

Exactly. He will keep learning. I totally get the criticism he is getting but I’m shocked some are writing him off. The lad is very talented.  Really hope he doesn’t ever get hounded out by fans like players in the past, E.g. Bannan, Westwood, Bacuna (understandably) even Petrov in his first season. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Was he crap or did he do alright, but made a massive mistake and people overreact? Genuine question. 

He was crap. In my opinion of course. And again this is form someone who likes the guy and thinks he's going to be a good player. He just had a particularly bad night.

In his (and Nakamba's) defence, we were effectively playing two in midfield for large parts of the night, and with Leicester's effective press it wasn't an easy night to be a central midfielder.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

I actually think he was very poor on the ball but did a very good job protecting the defence all game. Kept the shape with the rest of the team well and was a constant nuisance to players on the ball all game.

12 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

i thought he and marv both broke the play up well, but both are abysmal on the ball

I agree - but there's two sides to this story I think. Marv yes, but I think Luiz is a lot better at it.

He shows for the ball, receives it and looks then to distribute. When we play 5 at the back, there is such a gulf between defence and attack that he can only really pass to Jack or go backwards - when Jack is marked it's pretty difficult for him.

If we're to play 5 at the back and retain the ball, the wing backs need to show for it a lot more, one of the wingers need to drop back slightly and Marv needs to improve. We're moving in the right direction with it, but a few tweeks are needed in midfield so we don't just keep inviting pressure. 

Prime example was when he got caught with the ball for their goal, he doesn't want to keep passing backwards, but nobody is showing for the ball. 

• Like 2

Ppl would do well to remember that it’s the beginning of January, we’re level with the leagues 2nd placed team in a cup semi final, we’ve just come out of a xmas schedule where we’ve lost 3 1st team regulars. We’re almost an entirely new team. Luiz is as the start of his Premier League career, he’s 21 and in a new country that is very different from what he’s used to, in a team that struggles. He’s doing alright given the circumstances. He will have games where mistakes are made, as will others. Remember Grealish getting robbed on the edge of his own box at Spurs. Let’s get some perspective. We were 12-1 with the bookies to win the game last night, that should tell ppl where we are. With one or two better forward players things can change a lot, it can create a little more time and space for CMs that make them look a different player. Nakamba & Luiz are new players under pressure in the worlds most competitive league, in arguably the most vital area of the modern game. Give them some breathing space.

• Like 1

Between him and Nakamba, they must have given the ball away 10 times last night. 

Didn't have a good game at all.  Little retention, didn't show much for it and his positioning wasn't great.  

He'll do better in the next game. 

Be honest!! He's living off a few good goals.... he's been shocking the last 4-5 games he's played, not good enough and cant carry him any longer. Drop / Bin / Recruit or we are going down.

Simples

Edited by Strangeways

4 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

I’ll put my neck on the line here and say I don’t think he’ll become a very good player. A decent one perhaps, but he’s just too small and weak to really compete at this level. 

I’m just not a fan. I want to be, I just don’t see it. 

He's the same height as Fernandinho and Jack. You remember how small Jack was at 21. Douglas body wise is hardly a finished article. 

44 minutes ago, Strangeways said:

Be honest!! He's living off a few good goals.... he's been shocking the last 4-5 games he's played, not good enough and cant carry him any longer. Drop / Bin / Recruit or we are going down.

Simples

Pure bollocks.

Was great versus Burnley - and who's been good the 'last 4-5 games' before Burnley? FFS 

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Strangeways said:

Simples

Simples was a great word to use as that is an extremely simple view.

• Haha 2

Just now, Dr_Pangloss said:

I'm just surprised at how bad he can be on the ball at times, I was expecting this to be his best attribute.

Anyone can look terrible on the ball with extreme pressing and limited options to release a pass to.

2 hours ago, LoughboroughLion said:

I agree - but there's two sides to this story I think. Marv yes, but I think Luiz is a lot better at it.

He shows for the ball, receives it and looks then to distribute. When we play 5 at the back, there is such a gulf between defence and attack that he can only really pass to Jack or go backwards - when Jack is marked it's pretty difficult for him.

If we're to play 5 at the back and retain the ball, the wing backs need to show for it a lot more, one of the wingers need to drop back slightly and Marv needs to improve. We're moving in the right direction with it, but a few tweeks are needed in midfield so we don't just keep inviting pressure. 

Prime example was when he got caught with the ball for their goal, he doesn't want to keep passing backwards, but nobody is showing for the ball. 

I think you are spot on with this. It was very difficult being a CM in that game. Leicester pack the midfield and press so well. There was often just nobody close ahead of them showing for the ball. It worries me that we can't make those kind of adjustments in the game for some reason.

• Like 2

Leicester are the best pressing team there is and both midfielders were under extreme pressure.. Douglas has something a little bit special about him , a pass, a flick or whatever if he can get used to the intensity of the Premier League then he will be a very good player . 

If Drinkwater can get fit enough to play with him then I think we will start to see his talent 

Luiz wasn't crap against Leicester, first-half I thought he was good and he was involved in much of what was good about Villa I.e, everytime we attacked we looked a threat.

At half-time the pundits on Sky signalled him out as having a good game....so far.

He struggled more in the second-half granted.

Nobody is writing him off, nobody is scapegoating him, nobody is hounding him out. 

He's cost us a few games and goals this season. Bournemouth, Watford, Leicester off the top of my head, probably more. He's young and will improve, but we have a right to be constructively critical of him. Slim pickings in midfield mean we don't have great alternatives, but right now for me he is a liability and shouldn't be a starter.

Â