Tom Heaton

midian

33 minutes ago, John said:

If we can get him for £7m-10m and Stoke won't accept any bid for Butland of under £25m, then I can see why we would move onto Heaton.

If as I suspect Burnley will want more than that, then moving from our original target looks increasingly less appealing, with each extra million Burnley ask for.

33yo at 9 million is 3 million a year till 36yo. Butland 26yo 25 million...

And Butland better imo. I agree would rather pay extra for Butland

Edited by Kiwivillan
  • Like 2

Why would Tom want to play for a team with Mings in front of him

This is a quote from a Burnley message board. It’s a prime example of a fan having an opinion of a player they’ve never actually seen play. 

I’d imagine, even if Tom is put off by Mings playing in front of him (LOL), that he’d want to come here for other reasons such as: we’re a bigger club, have more fans, a bigger stadium, richer owners, better players, greater prospects and more chance of staying in the Premier League next season. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Heaton is a good solid keeper and is currently 3rd choice England keeper. Really good character apparently too and we could do with a wise, experienced head to help organise the defence. Whilst I'd have preferred Pope/Butland from a longer term point of view, this signing will strengthen us and allows money to be spent where we desperately need it 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Derryvillan said:

Is Butland good off his line?Genuine question.

Tbh I don’t think I’ve ever seen Butland play so can’t answer that one 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, KentVillan said:

It's 50/50 I think in that video? And I think all the ones where he palms it back into the box are the harder close range saves where he didn't have much option. Maybe question him a bit on the Eriksen save. All the other saves are incredible.

Ok you’ve made me feel better thanks!

• Haha 1

My main issue is about value. There's an argument there's not much between them other than age.

So Heaton £7m for three years and then released like most keepers in the later 30s. Minus £7m

Or Butland £25m for three years and then sold for likely same amount, possibly more. Break even. Better still he stays even longer and we have some stability in that position for the first time in years.

Add in Heaton is only likely to get worse, Butland has more chance of improving and the team and financial situation make a Butland purchase the clearer choice. If Heaton starts creeping up to £10m and you could barter Stoke down to £20m for Butland then it really becomes a no brainer.

Nothing against Heaton but the value and long term benefit points to Butland.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, jackbauer24 said:

My main issue is about value. There's an argument there's not much between them other than age.

So Heaton £7m for three years and then released like most keepers in the later 30s. Minus £7m

Or Butland £25m for three years and then sold for likely same amount, possibly more. Break even. Better still he stays even longer and we have some stability in that position for the first time in years.

Add in Heaton is only likely to get worse, Butland has more chance of improving and the team and financial situation make a Butland purchase the clearer choice. If Heaton starts creeping up to £10m and you could barter Stoke down to £20m for Butland then it really becomes a no brainer.

What if we buy Heaton and, I don’t know, Benrahma (or whomever) for a combined £25m....would that offer a more long term benefit than just signing Butland for £25m, as well helping us further in the short term?

I think one eye on the future, one eye on the present. Presently, I think if we can get a solid keeper for less than £10m, if it means the money saved can be spent elsewhere (and we need other positions strengthened), that’s the way to go.

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, jackbauer24 said:

The logic is good, but you're not factoring in the possibility that signing Butland reduces our budget for the outfield players needed to avoid relegation. You have to factor that increased possibility of relegation into the calculation.

But yes, broadly I agree that Butland is a better value long-term signing, even at £20m+.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, jackbauer24 said:

You also have to factor in FFP. After 3 years the FFP thing refreshes I think. In that time, Heaton could have served his purpose and then we're in a place to bring in someone potentially better and younger than Butland will be then with no liabilities. 

If we didn't have so much business to do then I would go for Butland but we still need to bring in multiple players who are going to be starters. They aren't going to come cheap. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Paddywhack said:

I hope we sign Heaton because he’s older than me.

For the first time ever there’s no one in the current squad who is older than me and to be honest it’s starting to make me think I’m never going to play for the Villa.

I’ll be comparing my age to managers in a couple of years. 

I always say my saddest day was the one where I realised I wouldn’t sign myself on fm as I’m a bit too old to fit into my age policy

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Keyblade said:

Butland and Trezeguet or Heaton and Benrahma? If that's what it might come down to then I know what I'd go for.

This was my thought. Or, if you look at it another way it’s Heaton and Mings, or Butland and another CB. Either way I know where I’d put my money

Edited by alreadyexists

8 hours ago, jackbauer24 said:

The players only sign 4 year contracts so if we sign Butland for £25m and he runs his contract down he's worth nothing or very little . His wages will be alot more than Heaton .  

We need a balanced squad and we have already spent alot on Ming's , as others have pointed out let's spread the wealth around the squad. 

why we are shelling out millions on a 33 year old keeper when we have 2 decent ones already is beyond me. yeah, in deano we trust blah blah blah but i really cannot get on board with this one

• Like 1

I think Heaton is a good solid keeper and I'm not against an experienced head in an important position, I also think he'd help to improve Steer which is a bonus.

Slight concern is the rumoured transfer fee, the guy is 33 years old, not long ago had a serious injury and in the last year of his contract, that should give us some bargaining power, if it's starts to creep anywhere towards £10m then we may/should begin to look elsewhere.

I know the market is crazy but some of the prices we've allegedly been quoted are just laughable. 

Â