Tom Heaton

midian

22 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

why we are shelling out millions on a 33 year old keeper when we have 2 decent ones already is beyond me. yeah, in deano we trust blah blah blah but i really cannot get on board with this one

I read a 4 page thread on him on a Burnley message board and they couldn't speak highly enough of him, seemed like even at 10 million we were getting a bargain.

If it means we can spend money on other players then signing heaton for ~ one third of what it would cost to sign Butland is a no brainer. Heaton could be our keeper for ~3 seasons and that would give us plenty of time to grow into a midtable premier league team. Then we would have the funds to buy a new/better keeper. 

Edited by villa89

10 hours ago, jackbauer24 said:

My main issue is about value. There's an argument there's not much between them other than age.

So Heaton £7m for three years and then released like most keepers in the later 30s. Minus £7m

Or Butland £25m for three years and then sold for likely same amount, possibly more. Break even. Better still he stays even longer and we have some stability in that position for the first time in years.

Add in Heaton is only likely to get worse, Butland has more chance of improving and the team and financial situation make a Butland purchase the clearer choice. If Heaton starts creeping up to £10m and you could barter Stoke down to £20m for Butland then it really becomes a no brainer.

Nothing against Heaton but the value and long term benefit points to Butland.

If Butland becomes a flop which i think he would then his value would absolutely plummet and we would be stuck with him for 5 years. If Heaton becomes a flop he is gone in just 3 years

7 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Because we don’t have two decent ones. 

We’ve got a keeper who did well for half a season under Smith but has consistently deemed not good enough at villa and is totally unproven at any top level and, imo, isn’t good enough to be a premier league number 1. 

And we’ve got a keeper who might have been good enough but for whatever reason appears it isn’t working out for and may well be gone before the season starts.  

Said it before, GK CB CM and CF

Get those positions right and you’ve got a chance. Heading into the season with Jed Steer as our number 1 isn’t, imo, getting one of those positions right. 

i think that's where most are divided. the only logical explanation is that there's something up with kalinic. either has the hump about being dropped or homesick or something else. personally ability wise i think he's good enough for the top flight. he's got the experience on big stages so i dont get why he's being potentially shipped out. i'd sooner keep him and use the money towards another winger/CB/striker

24 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

i think that's where most are divided. the only logical explanation is that there's something up with kalinic. either has the hump about being dropped or homesick or something else. personally ability wise i think he's good enough for the top flight. he's got the experience on big stages so i dont get why he's being potentially shipped out. i'd sooner keep him and use the money towards another winger/CB/striker

That is totally consistent with what SteveO is saying. It's just not working out, either because he has the hump and hence bad attitude, is homesick, or something else affecting him. They're deep problems that we don't have the time or patience to resolve.

I thought he'd be a great signing, and still think he'd be competent in the Premier League if everything was right with him but they don't appear to be and we can't take that chance.

Heaton has always struck me a very decent premier league keeper who does most of the basics absolutely right and is a very good shot stopper, he'd be an excellent signing, 3 years of good keeping is massively valuable to us, resale value or not by the end of his contract.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

I’ve said before I think there’s more chance of  Kalinic starting the season as our number 1 than Steer, but that we’d most likely sign a new number one.

I think given all the links to keepers that that must be true. 

Thought I’d give this thread a nudge as was one of the big stories on sky sports news today. Think it should be easy to land this guy for a reasonable price. I guess we have bid around 3 million for him and Burnley have laughed that off, maybe saying something like maybe 8m to 10m or something but all Heaton has to say is I’m 33 this is my last big chance please let me leave plea in public and we go back in with a 5millon offer and they are kinda forced to accept it on a morale level, 

Â