Tom Heaton

midian

Like this signing. We need to stay in this league to continue to build. A few players who will only give us a few years service is fine. 

I wonder if our agreement with bournemouth over mings had anything about Butland in it. They agreed to sell if we shift our keeper interest elsewhere.

3 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Like this signing. We need to stay in this league to continue to build. A few players who will only give us a few years service is fine. 

I wonder if our agreement with bournemouth over mings had anything about Butland in it. They agreed to sell if we shift our keeper interest elsewhere.

I doubt it.. at £26m I don’t think they’d be in any position to insist on anything 

Quick check of a Burnley forum suggests they’re sad to see him leave, he was outstanding and influential in the run in last season, he’s their preference for number one next season (Pope backup and bin Hart).

Other points of interest: club captain, model professional, good guy.

For 7-10m seems like a good deal. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, LoughboroughLion said:

Quick check of a Burnley forum suggests they’re sad to see him leave, he was outstanding and influential in the run in last season, he’s their preference for number one next season (Pope backup and bin Hart).

Other points of interest: club captain, model professional, good guy.

For 7-10m seems like a good deal. 

More leaders. I like it.

Probably a decent signing.

Note of caution on his age though - lots of keepers carry form into their late 30s and early 40s, but there are plenty who fade in their early 30s. He might not be a long-term option.

Regardless of this being between Butland and Heaton, we all know Butland is the better keeper overall but if we're still getting a good Premier League standard goalkeeper for half price, maybe even a third of Butland's value, it's still good business because it'll free up more money for areas of the pitch that need proper quality.

14 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

I’ve no idea if this is a good signing or not, I’ve not seen a lot of him the last couple of years.

I think I’d have preferred Butland due to age but no idea who is the better keeper really.

On the plus side it should be a lot cheaper which helps the budget for the other players we need.

This. All over.

If we’ve realistically got £60-£70m left to spend, then saving around £10m by choosing Heaton over Butland is probably the right thing to do. As much as we’d all like our ‘Plan A’ in all positions, it’s probably not going to happen.

• Like 3

I haven’t really seen much of him, but I remember hearing something last year that said he is a really good organiser of the defence. Him going into Burnley’s team coincided with an upturn of their form and it a lot was made how the defence looked more assured and organised with him there. That’s just the type of keeper we need, whilst Mings does organise as well, he is relatively inexperienced, as is Hause and Chester isn’t vocal.

Edited by mikeyp102
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

I’ve no idea if this is a good signing or not, I’ve not seen a lot of him the last couple of years.

I think I’d have preferred Butland due to age but no idea who is the better keeper really.

On the plus side it should be a lot cheaper which helps the budget for the other players we need.

Yeah like we were saying earlier, if signing Heaton for £8m means we don’t spend £20m or whatever on Butland, then I think that means that the saving is spent elsewhere.

It’s like the thinking is Phillips & Heaton > Marvelous & Butland (as an example).

• Like 2

My first pick in for my fantasy prem team this season as I thought he'd easily be Burnley's first choice and always rated him highly. Should be in the England squad when fit IMO. Really like him as a goalkeeper and very happy if this is true and we do go for him over Butland. 

Â