Tom Heaton

midian

Thought it would be best to open a post on Tom Heaton who according to Gregg Evans is close to signing for us.Top keeper in my opinion just what we need.

• Like 3

In his prime for a keeper and hasn't played that many games for his age either. No brainer if we want a keeper. Kalinic will be off, Steer and Heaton fight it out for No.1, Nyland er... Yeah.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Seen a few people questioning his age but at 33 I'd imagine Heaton has at least another 4-5 years as a top flight keeper left in him if he looks after himself. When we signed Brad Friedel he was 37, gave us 3 good years and then still went on to play 50 odd times for Tottenham. Loads of keepers play at the highest level into their late thirties.

At 5-7 mill this seems like good business.

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 3

Boxing clever with the funds we have and if it means more money for Phillips ... Leao then all for Heaton signing even though i feel a bit meh as thought we were getting Butland ... Great keeper though and better than what we have currently hopefully....

• Like 2

Brilliant signing, best of the summer so far imo and without checking for a reasonable fee aswell.

For those with doubts look at Burnley's defensive stats last season up to xmas (Joe Hart in goal) and then from December 28th when Heaton came back in against West Ham and kept a clean sheet.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, thabucks said:

Boxing clever with the funds we have and if it means more money for Phillips ... Leao then all for Heaton signing even though i feel a bit meh as thought we were getting Butland ... Great keeper though and better than what we have currently hopefully....

IMO Heaton is better alround keeper than Butland, much more commanding on crosses and also better at organising his back 4.

2 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

Seen a few people questioning his age but at 33 I'd imagine Heaton has at least another 4-5 years as a top flight keeper left in him if he looks after himself. When we signed Brad Friedel he was 37, gave us 3 good years and then still went on to play 50 odd times for Tottenham. Loads of keepers play at the highest level into their late thirties.

At 5-7 mill this seems like good business.

Friedel is a good comparison, for those who might bemoan his age. 

I think this is a smart move. We haven't got £1/4billion to spend this window, so can't fill the remaining gaps in the squad with £25m+ players.
If we can get Heaton and (for example) Maupay for the cost of Butland, then great. We can always go sign Butland for £10m in a year!!

• Like 2

We're seemingly getting an England keeper, for the same price as a less than stellar Croatian keeper... seems like sensible business to me if we get our money back for Kalinic this window and follow up with KP from Leeds.  If it helps to establish us in the Prem then I'm okay with this at £7m, after all I think he's still young enough at 33 to give us a good few years and he knows how to navigate through relegation battles, if that's ultimately where we find ourselves this coming season.  It also shows we will not simply pay over the odds, so when we enquire don't assume we're desperate as we will walk away from deals that don't work for us.

We're Aston Villa we buy who we want (or not if the selling club start to take the proverbial).

• Like 1

What a signing he would be , remember him against us last game of the season when Burnley went down, he was fantastic that day said there and then we should have signed him . 

Â