Tom Heaton

midian

That's a lot of money for a 33 y.o

Hope it's not a too long and expensive contract.

Not many player or even GK's that maintain a high level at that age.

The whole GK's can keep playing until they are 40 is a bit of a myth IMO.

Except for Buffon who was the best keeper of his generation I can't think of many who have not dropped significally in quality once they've reached 33 or so

Cech, Casillas, Neuer...

Handanovic is still good, but not as good.

Edited by sne
  • Like 1

Not a big fan but I can understand how it’s a sensible signing after failing to agree fees for Butland and Etheridge. Not all signings can be 20 mil ones and we did need a whole new team, so hopefully he stays healthy and gives us a couple of solid seasons.

• Like 1

Of all the players we've signed Heaton is probably the most proven, and could very well be worth several places in the league to us, could even be the difference between survival and relegation. And £8m is an absolute bargain.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, thabucks said:

I just don’t feel he is a huge improvement on Steer and is a player potentially on a downward spiral .. happy and want to be proven wrong but meh 

He’s substantially better than Steer - and that’s nothing against Jed, I’d fully expect him to be our “cup keeper”. But Heaton is far better. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, thabucks said:

I just don’t feel he is a huge improvement on Steer and is a player potentially on a downward spiral .. happy and want to be proven wrong but meh 

I like Steer but I think this is a bit barmy to tell you the truth. He's a proven top flight goalkeeper. At worst he's middle of the road. Steer hasn't shown anything like that form yet really. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, thabucks said:

How on earth is he not a huge improvement on steer?

Proven premier league quality and been in the England set up. 

He's a massive step up on a keeper who has played a handful of games for us

• Thanks 1

Great deal, he is a better keeper than Butland currently and likely will be for at least a year or two when Butland will have next to nothing left on his contract. Next summer Butland won't be worth half of the 25 mill they asking. He won't be an England International and he won't have much left on contract. 

10 minutes ago, thabucks said:

Genuinely if this is how you feel you must not have watched him a great deal, he is an absolutely superb keeper and up until his shoulder injury last year was in running to be England's number 1. 

Some of his performances for Burnley have quote literally been out of this world. Remember his old Trafford performance where he made about 12 World class saves to get them a 0-0?

• Like 2

I would have preferred Butland too, mainly due to his age, but Heaton will probably be a solid signing. It’s definitely an upgrade on Steer. For me though, he’s only a short-term solution given his age and we’ll go back in for Butland, Benítez, Perin or another younger keeper next summer or the summer after. 

Heaton is a decent shot stopper and in the England set-up so certainly not a bad choice, but if we want to get to say Wolves’ level we’ll need better further down the line.

18 minutes ago, thabucks said:

Hopefully he can help Steer develop further.  I believe Steer has the right attitude and will to succeed here after the second half of last season.  Heaton can only be good for Steer.

• Like 1

Â